A request to those who have iPad2's and still have an iPad1 - Speaker Volume/Quality?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Piggie, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Piggie, Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011

Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

(Just edited the title, as tomorrow is now here!) :D

I have a request of anyone/everyone who is planning on buying an iPad2 tomorrow and still has their iPad1

Can you do, and post here a speaker review?

Ideally, not FULL VOLUME, but say at half volume, play back some music and speech and/or movie stuff and tell us all how it compares.

I don't expect the quality will vary much as I expect the same speakers inside are probably used, or are they?

But the smaller holes for the sound to come out of the case.

I'm thinking with you facing the screen, and, as I say, around 50% volume on either iPad.

I'd love to know your mini speaker comparison reviews.

2. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

This is why I am waiting for the iLounge review.
    The only site that seems to answer these tech questions with their comprehensive review.

3. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

Thought I would give this a bump as people here actually have them now.
    I realise it's all "very exciting" at the moment with the new toy :D

When people have calmed down, perhaps you might find the time to do a comparison for us all to read?

I must admit I'm concerned about iFixit's comments:

Step 22:
    After removing a few screws, the speaker assembly lifts out of the case.
    The speakers are very small, almost as though they were added as an afterthought.

Their photo of the new speaker unit:

http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/JHiVCsILWiKSLxj3.medium

In comparison to the comments and photo of the iPad1 speaker unit:

The speaker assembly is larger than we expected:
    The connector found on the speakers and other components is typical of the connectors seen in MacBook Unibody laptops. Translation: the iPad isn't that cramped for space.
    Dual speakers provide mono sound. Two small sealed channels direct sound toward three audio ports carved into the bottom edge of the iPad. The audio-out jack provides stereo sound, of course.

http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/dxljs3SF5sS6YgRM.medium

4. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

No one wants to do us a calm and sensible, unbiased speaker comparison review between the old and new models?

The only things I've read are small comments within major reviews.

I'd like to have a more in depth and accurate opinion as to the round differences.

Is it more bass'y more treble'y? Clearer, less clear?

How much quieter would you say? In other words say the old iPad is at 50% volume, what level does the new one have to be to sound the same?

I know everyone is excited, and "playing with their new toy." But I hope we can get at least a few people to answer questions such as I have asked above for those of us who don't hat have, or can yet get the new model

Thanks.

5. radiohead14 macrumors 6502a

interested in this as well. i was actually surprised with the 1st ipad's speaker, as i expected them to be bad, but they sounded pretty good for what they are. i think that ipad 2's speaker being on the back might be why reviewers find it to be not as loud as the 1st. this can also be an issue, since the speaker grills will get muffled.

6. tim916 macrumors member

I doubt it is as good, simply for the reason that the speaker is facing backwards, which will have a large affect on the high frequencies.

7. gigaguy macrumors 65816

I've had the iPad 1 for a year and heard the 2 yesterday. 2 sounds a little weaker, I figured it's due to the thinner depth on the 2. There's only so much you can do I guess. The rumor that there would be 2 separated stereo speakers sounded probable, but didn't happen. But you really need headphones, but for multiple viewers it's a little weak sounding.

I did always cup my hand under the ipad1 speaker to direct the sound up. The curve edge on the iPad 2 doesnt help either.
    You go thin you lose some things, and I think some cost cutting had to happen to keep price the same with all the additions to the iPad 2.
    Enjoy it, it's a great little device anyway.

8. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

When it comes to human speech, the new speaker on the iPad works quite well. :) But if you insist on true high fidelity sound, better plug in a decent set of in-ear headphones with the iPhone/iPod compatible in-line controller or at least use Apple Digital AV Adapter.

9. M87 macrumors 65816

Quality is pretty decent, but very little volume.

10. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

Imho

Seems louder in initial use. I am an audiophile but volume matters more.
    For some reason the placement on the new one seems to help on the volume.

Connecting to external speakers, quality is excellent.

I'm pleasantly surprised as the volume was often too low on the previous model.

11. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

Is that just your perception, or is that in comparison, side by side, with the original model you still have?

(Which is the important thing)

12. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

Sorry

Sold one days earlier. Noticed the difference using things like Netflix. That's my two cents. They did something to help the volume and I like it. :D

13. WLS macrumors 65816

Sounds clearer to me. I think the sloped edge on the second gen allows more sound to come forward to you and the larger area of the grill doesn't muffle the sound as much as the previous iPad.
    It sounds better and perhaps different speakers are used.

14. Cha macrumors regular

The sound will depend on how the iPad is situated. I tried both iPads (1st and 2nd G) on a kitchen counter at an angle without a full body case (the 2nd G had the smart cover folded into a triangle).

I used "Flac Player" to test on both devices at 50% volume (8 of 16 volume clicks).

Overall there does not seem to be a change in the loudness of the volume. The larger grill of the speakers on the 2nd G seems to help producing a "clearer" sound. I am having a hard time trying to determine the quality of the range... since honestly, both speakers leaves a lot of be desired... I'll look for other reference material later and see how my opinion changes.

15. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

My psuedo-scientific test.

Test units: Gen 1 3G and Gen 2 3G (ATT). The units were review while sitting flat on a table. I swapped the unit's position when listening so that there was no variance in that respect.

Test 1 (mono how-to-video):

I cued up a how-to video from Kelby Training then played it from the same point on each unit at low, mid, and high sound volume.

My perception was that the iPad 1 obtained a louder high volume but softer low volume than the iPad 2. It was ever so subtle and quite possible that sound measuring equipment could prove me wrong. Audio quality on the iPad 2 was only noticeably better at the low end.

Test 2 (Stereo YouTube video of Arcade Fire's Rebellion):

My perception was again, that the iPad 1 was able to get louder but that the iPad 2 was a tad clearer and more defined at all 3 volume points.

Test 3 (Stereo YouTube video of Hayden's Symphony No.94 "Surprise"):

I was able to get the best impression of the iPad 1 and 2's speakers with this one. The iPad 2 was the clear winner. It was more vibrant and the instruments more defined and colorful. The iPad 1 was flat, especially at higher volume levels.

Conclusion:

I never had an issue w/ the iPad 1's speakers. They are what they are. The iPad 2's seem subtly improved -- again actual measuring equipment could prove me wrong. Either way the speakers on either model are no reason to either buy or sell. If you want quality sound buy some high end earphones or buds or hook up to better speakers. For on-the-go both do the job.

16. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

That's one of the things I love about my Portenzo case. I think the dodo cases have the same thing. Within the wood frame they cut out little scoops which generally have the effect of directing the sound up toward you.

17. newdeal macrumors 68020

All the matters to me is volume. The volume still sucks and you have to cup the speaker with you hand and get a 10db gain

18. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

Just wanted to say.......................

I'm glad my thread is starting to get some replies at last. :)

And a BIG THANK YOU to all those who have so far posted their findings for us all to read.

Very much appreciated.

19. viriiguy macrumors newbie

I currently have both, the new iPad 2 and the original iPad.
    I love my music AND I am hard of hearing. One of my biggest complaints with the iPad was the speaker volume. I could barely hear it in noisy conditions. And I am usually in noisy conditions... (In Server Rooms)

The new iPad 2's speaker is much louder and to me it sounds crisper, more pronounced. However, obviously everyone is going to hear them differently. I usually have my ear buds in and hooked to my iPhone anyway, so it does not REALLY matter. Except in the garage.

20. slicecom macrumors 68020

Weird. Any other review I've read says the iPad 1's speakers are louder.

For those with both, please try this test: turn the iPad 2's volume to max, and turn the iPad 1's volume down to match the volume as closely as you can. Which is more clear?