Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mengchen81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
I can't understand why so many ppl think that the ipad3 will have retina display, it's not gonna happen!

By simple logic, standard website which is 1024*768 will be so ***** on the retina display, the pic will be forced to enlarge. An iPad can not surf Internet well? I don't believe Apple and Apple fans will like it.

I do believe finally the web page resolution gonna be improved to support retina display devices, but ipad is not the guy who bring the evolution to us. 14'' color CRT introduced the 640*480, windows 95 bring the 800*600 resolution, LCD made 1024*768 to be the standard. An iPad leads the 2048*1536 evolution? I don't think so.

Even powered by an regular PC today,2048*1536 can not be guaranteed to run smoothly in every applications. To make letters readable in very high resolution display, new standard font has to be installed in every system in every retina devices. Then each website across the world has to update their pics just like apps updated the icon to support iPhone 4.

Retina only works on phones, which is still lower than 1024*768, for iPad? Not before 2015 in my opinion.

Read your reply, I don't know why ppl think the pic can be automatically doubled, it not gonna happen. If you bought iPhone 4 before 2010, you will know each apps have to update the icon to make it looks sharp in iphone4, your magic retina display can not just double it!

Last edited:

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
I can't understand why so many ppl think that the ipad3 will have retina display, it's not gonna happen!

By simple logic, standard website which is 1024*768 will be so ***** on the retina display, the pic will be forced to enlarge. An iPad can not surf Internet well? I don't believe Apple and Apple fans will like it.

I do believe finally the web page resolution gonna be improved to support retina display devices, but ipad is not the guy who bring the evolution to us. 14'' color CRT introduced the 640*480, windows 95 bring the 800*600 resolution, LCD made 1024*768 to be the standard. An iPad leads the 2048*1536 evolution? I don't think so.

Even powered by an regular PC today,2048*1536 can not be guaranteed to run smoothly in every applications. To make letters readable in very high resolution display, new standard font has to be installed in every system in every retina devices. Then each website across the world has to update their pics just like apps updated the icon to support iPhone 4.

Retina only works on phones, which is still lower than 1024*768, for iPad? Not before 2015 in my opinion.
That logic is not only not simple, it's also disjointed. What do you think is happening between now and 2015 to get 300 pixels-per-inch onto a 1024x768 display that we can't accomplish now?

Standards change quite a bit, but 1024x768 is certainly not a standard. Many displays still run as low as 800x600.

Also, why do you say everyone has to update this and that? There's a million apps that don't support retina on the iPhone. They don't have to do anything if they don't want to, and it'll work fine.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
Sigh.

I'll happily take the under.

A retina display iPad (specifically, one with 2x the resolution in each direction) will ship in CY 2012.

Onimusha370

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
I'd bet good money that both the iPad, and several mac computers have much higher resolution displays within the next 12-18 months. At the moment, march looks like the time we'll see a higher resolution iPad.
Websites will look fine on a 2048x1536 display, images will look just as good as they do now, on the same size screen.
Higher resolution displays are something I really look forward to.

Mengchen81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
Let me make it simple for you to understand.

1. I am not talking about the apps, I am talking about the surf the web. That means I am not talking about the iPad is capable to run a retina display but talking about it will not have so much nice looked web to show on the iPad which makes it useless.

2. Web upgrading their resolution takes times. Billions web take years to change, think when the the idea of HD came out and for not it is only popular for geeks. Web not for geeks only!

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
Let me make it simple for you to understand.

1. I am not talking about the apps, I am talking about the surf the web. That means I am not talking about the iPad is capable to run a retina display but talking about it will not have so much nice looked web to show on the iPad which makes it useless.

2. Web upgrading their resolution takes times. Billions web take years to change, think when the the idea of HD came out and for not it is only popular for geeks. Web not for geeks only!
Let me make it even simpler.

1. We got that. My reference to apps was to point out that just because a screen's capabilities change, does not mean the content it displays has to comply.

2. The web doesn't have to upgrade.

Mengchen81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
I'd bet good money that both the iPad, and several mac computers have much higher resolution displays within the next 12-18 months. At the moment, march looks like the time we'll see a higher resolution iPad.
Websites will look fine on a 2048x1536 display, images will look just as good as they do now, on the same size screen.
Higher resolution displays are something I really look forward to.

A 27'' mac even can not do a 1080p YouTube video right. It's good for graphic professionals but not web and videos. Think that bring it to iPad, I narrow web shows in the middle of the screen? It is nightmare.

----------

Let me make it even simpler.

1. We got that. My reference to apps was to point out that just because a screen's capabilities change, does not mean the content it displays has to comply.

2. The web doesn't have to upgrade.

Buy a 27'' apple display for yourself, you will know the web needs upgrade.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
odd i seem able to run a higher resolution than 1024x768 on my iMac and view websites without a problem. i can even browse the web in HD by making safari go full screen.

at least thats what i've taken from your argument. it makes no sense to me at all.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
odd i seem able to run a higher resolution than 1024x768 on my iMac and view websites without a problem. i can even browse the web in HD by making safari go full screen.

at least thats what i've taken from your argument. it makes no sense to me at all.
Don't worry... You aren't alone. I was chuckling a bit reading the op's thoughts. He is under the impression we are still in the year 2006 on fixed resolution websites.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
A 27'' mac even can not do a 1080p YouTube video right. It's good for graphic professionals but not web and videos. Think that bring it to iPad, I narrow web shows in the middle of the screen? It is nightmare.

----------

Buy a 27'' apple display for yourself, you will know the web needs upgrade.
My Windows notebook with a 1920*1080 resolution does just fine with Full HD movies - and websites do fine just as well.

The size of text is completely independend: a browser handles exactly how big letters/characters on your display are shown. So if iPad 3 will have a retina display, than text will be crisp and sharp.

Yet, I must agree with you that 2048*1536 is just a really illogical step for a device that is so focused around movies and webbrowsing.

It will be great for photos, and apps that support such a new resolution, but I also have serious doubts about both web and movies.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
I don't see it happening either. A retina display works well on the iPhone because the screen is small and the resolution is still below that of 720p content.

I don't cherish the thought of watching a 720p HD movie off iTunes zoomed out to match my iPad 3's 10-inch 1440p screen. That's gonna look nasty and I think it's a dumb idea.

Mengchen81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
My Windows notebook with a 1920*1080 resolution does just fine with Full HD movies - and websites do fine just as well.

The size of text is completely independend: a browser handles exactly how big letters/characters on your display are shown. So if iPad 3 will have a retina display, than text will be crisp and sharp.

Yet, I must agree with you that 2048*1536 is just a really illogical step for a device that is so focused around movies and webbrowsing.

It will be great for photos, and apps that support such a new resolution, but I also have serious doubts about both web and movies.

Text is independent but not automatic. Eg. On normal screen, a letter is 24*24 pix and the size is 3 sq mm. On the retina display, the size is 1.5 sq mm which is unreadable. Yes, the size can be enlarge and the text keeping sharp, but you have to do it yourself unless the web understand you are using retina display. For web can understand this, it need upgrade in the web programme language with the cooperate of retina hardware manufactor, which, again, needs times.

----------

OP, read this link posted by madat42!

:)
Thanks mate, I like to understand things rather than just "read" things. I am not the kind of guy just read a word "independent" then pop out likes know everything.

Meanee

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2011
My Windows PC with 3x 1680x1050 monitors can display all websites just fine.

Also, how about iPhone 4 family? Or Galaxy Nexus phone? Both are over 300ppi, and have no problems displaying websites. Modern sites are designed to handle variety of browsers, resolutions. I've seen a handful (typically very specific sites, like plane scheduling), that look like crap on high resolution, but what can you do.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I don't expect any trouble. The same jump I experienced from iPhone 3 to iPhone 4 or recently from iPod Touch 2nd gen to iPod Touch 4.5 gen. no impact on watching any web site in Safari. Because the rendering machine and CoreAutomation takes care for it. The link above can explain you the details. It will explain the difference between "point" and "pixel" where on a retina screen these days the factor is 2.

On a retina iPad the programs would still see a resolution of 1024x768 POINT equal to 2048x1536 PIXEL. But the programmer should start thinking and working in POINT to exactly avoid the issue you might have. This came with iOS4 as far as I remember.

That said: if you would use a browser not supporting resolution independence you might face issues.

kustardking

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2008
New York
Text is independent but not automatic. Eg. On normal screen, a letter is 24*24 pix and the size is 3 sq mm. On the retina display, the size is 1.5 sq mm which is unreadable. Yes, the size can be enlarge and the text keeping sharp, but you have to do it yourself unless the web understand you are using retina display. For web can understand this, it need upgrade in the web programme language with the cooperate of retina hardware manufactor, which, again, needs times.

----------

:)
Thanks mate, I like to understand things rather than just "read" things. I am not the kind of guy just read a word "independent" then pop out likes know everything.

But you are the kind of guy to "pop out" big critical comments without the background to support them.

The answer to all of this was already given when the iphone 4 did a pixel-doubling. "Old" content was doubled on both dimensions, "new" content got to leverage the updated resolution. Same with a QXGA ipad, but guess what? Web pages are viewed through Safari, and Safari can decide whether to 2x the page so it has the same physical appearance as XGA ipads, or to 2x pixel content but render fonts more cleanly, or to not magnify the page at all so you get 4x the content area in a single view (just like the iphone 4). Since Apple is controlling the pixel scaling in both apps and in Safari, there is *no problem* in releasing *any* resolution at any doubling.

If Apple doesn't make a QXGA ipad, it will *not* be because of content formatting.

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
Yes, the size can be enlarge and the text keeping sharp, but you have to do it yourself unless the web understand you are using retina display.

No. The web BROWSER needs to understand it.

Apple is perfectly capable of adjusting iOS so the browsers are capable of adjusting to Retina display iPads.

-t

Mengchen81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
I don't expect any trouble. The same jump I experienced from iPhone 3 to iPhone 4 or recently from iPod Touch 2nd gen to iPod Touch 4.5 gen. no impact on watching any web site in Safari. Because the rendering machine and CoreAutomation takes care for it. The link above can explain you the details. It will explain the difference between "point" and "pixel" where on a retina screen these days the factor is 2.

On a retina iPad the programs would still see a resolution of 1024x768 POINT equal to 2048x1536 PIXEL. But the programmer should start thinking and working in POINT to exactly avoid the issue you might have. This came with iOS4 as far as I remember.

That said: if you would use a browser not supporting resolution independence you might face issues.

It works because the apps knew you are using iPhone 4!

Apple did great thing on the upgrade, millions apps upgrade by the tool apple provided in about one year time. but for billions website, 2 years is conservative. Especially apple also is trying to let ppl surf Internet via TV! How could he make both happens. Don't tell me a retina tv.

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
Reading through the thread, I'm still having some trouble trying to figure out exactly what the original poster is trying to say. But if I understand correctly, aren't the OP's points rendered moot with just the simple observation that: "currently existing high res monitors display all of our content just fine" ?

Or am I missing something?

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
Reading through the thread, I'm still having some trouble trying to figure out exactly what the original poster is trying to say. But if I understand correctly, aren't the OP's points rendered moot with just the simple observation that: "currently existing high res monitors display all of our content just fine" ?

Or am I missing something?

They don't display all content just fine. Displays that have a resolution two or three times that of 720p or 1080p force you to either watch the content using a small portion of the display or zoom the content to full screen which degrades the quality.

Mengchen81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
But you are the kind of guy to "pop out" big critical comments without the background to support them.

The answer to all of this was already given when the iphone 4 did a pixel-doubling. "Old" content was doubled on both dimensions, "new" content got to leverage the updated resolution. Same with a QXGA ipad, but guess what? Web pages are viewed through Safari, and Safari can decide whether to 2x the page so it has the same physical appearance as XGA ipads, or to 2x pixel content but render fonts more cleanly, or to not magnify the page at all so you get 4x the content area in a single view (just like the iphone 4). Since Apple is controlling the pixel scaling in both apps and in Safari, there is *no problem* in releasing *any* resolution at any doubling.

If Apple doesn't make a QXGA ipad, it will *not* be because of content formatting.

Ask apple to double dimensions of a pic or make a 480p video to became a 720p by just simply "double" it. Guess what? Even apple says no. So does Steve if he come back.

Hope you understand who is the pop out guy now.

----------

They don't display all content just fine. Displays that have a resolution two or three times that of 720p or 1080p force you to either watch the content using a small portion of the display or zoom the content to full screen which degrades the quality.

Thanks, mate.

Op is a very strong word if it comes from an OP. hope they can understand u by your better English.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.