A Review of the 2012 15" MBP-R (rMBP) / Part 1

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jedi, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Jedi macrumors regular

Jedi

The 2012 MacBook Pro / Retina

Part 1 :

Place of purchase / Best Buy / build date week 49 , 2012.

Spec`s: 15" Intel 2.3 GHz - i7 Quad - CPU / 8 GB Ram / NVIDIA GT650M - GPU / 256 Flash Storage .

Why did I chose this model:

I looked long and hard at both the 15" MPB and the 15" MBP-R and I had full knowledge of the issues of the LG screen. However , after seeing both and hearing both , I decided to roll-the-dice. It was always my intention to own a notebook without the antiquated rotating mass called the hard drive.
    No matter what the out come of my search , the end result would have been some kind of notebook with a solid state drive. Choosing the make and model that I did just saved me some time and work.

Previously , I had tried to save some money by buying a PC , and I can tell anyone "don`t waste your time" , if you are a Mac User , that is it ( period ).

After bringing my new MBP-R home , along with OS-X Mountain Lion : The Missing Manual , I gazed at the box ( I know weird , aren`t we all , when it comes to Mac`s ) and thought what really cool packaging compared to Win 7 or 8 PC`s ! But that is what it`s all about , the whole Apple experience , after reading parts of the book and checking on line how to set up basic User Accounts and iCloud services , I called it a day.

The next day I decided that the time had come to open my new MBP and check it out. Even though the packaging may seem sparse , it is presented very well , almost reminded me of a very nice piece of jewelry , like a watch I bought that came presented on a blue pillow. Inside sat the MBP-R and all wrapped up in plastic with the usual Apple sticker on the plastic wrap ( you open / you own it ) , so I removed the plastic and checked it out and it was fine , very fine. Underneath the MBP was the paper work that includes , quick start guide , Apple stickers ( 2 ) a cleaning cloth , and warranty information all presented in a black cardboard folder After that came the power supply also wrapped in plastic and extension cord. covered with a black sleeve , all done very first class. And that was it , no stupid stickers to remove , as if Apple would ever stoup that low as to put stickers on art.

Anyway , after the initial boot , I set up all my accounts and went through a first glance and found that many things have changed since "Snow Leopard" ( good thing I bought a book ).

After checking it out and making sure all was fine , I checked what kind of display I had and found it was indeed an LG display.
    To some dismay , I did an initial check by using various backgrounds and images and it seemed fine,

It runs very quiet , of course all that is moving are 2 fans , but they are quiet. I continued to poke around and set some stuff up and checked the battery and noticed that it was at 84% charged , and it had a little over 6 hours left on the charge.

Then I shut it down and did a very close visual inspection and found it to be a very thin , but very strong notebook. There are no rough edges and the build quality is pure Apple.

So I put it into the case I bought a fews days earlier , Lime Green - Incase Sleeve @ QVC for < 25 buck with free shipping , I really like green and had noticed that color was discontinued and only a few places had any left for sale so I grabbed one while I could. Although the sleeve is intended for the standard MBP , I find the fit to be perfect for the thinner Retina model as the fit is not so tight that you have to force it in , it just slides in with ease. Some might find it lose , but I find it just right.

After much reading about the failing LG screens , I must admit I was and still am unsure of the screen stability , but have decided to have a go none the less and decided that although completely unnecessary I am still running at half brightness and still have a changing background , just to see if a break-in period would help.

Can`t say to much , other that I have not noticed anything wrong and bad about the screen.

Pictures look fine and so do web sites , so far A-OK , still will probably get Apple Care just incase , and BH Photo has it for $244.00 , so for 3 years of protection for a first generation product seems like a good idea.

The sound is very ,,, good , much better than the regular MBP. Using various MP3`s , I checked the sound of both and the clear winner in the sound department is the Retina , the standard MBP just sounded muddled.

The Operating System , OS-X.8 , has some bugs and needs work , but then again I am new to ML as my other Mac is still running SL.

I have found that the "Game Center" app will not allow me to log on with a nick-name , all I get is a spinning pinwheel until I click continue and then a bunch of games load , some free , some not so free, but with an Apple made nick name. Chess was missing , and I did read that was the very first Game Center game.

The other quirk is that Preview , as handy as it is , can not loop a slideshow like it does with the SL version. ( if anyone knows how to loop a slide show and to use my desired nick name for Game Center , help would be most appreciated , thanks.).

This now concludes the first part of my review , next part will get into more of the OS and the hardware it serves. ( Sorry no time frame as of yet , but rest assured it will be posted )

Anyway , I hope you enjoyed this part and please post any thoughts or remarks you may have.

So , until part 2 , take care , and have fun or go out and buy a Mac !!

Later , :D

Gary 

2. MikesGravity macrumors 6502

Good review. You will love OSX once you get used to it.

As a long time user and recent purchaser as the exact same macbook as you, your review is the same as I would say. Coming from previous Macbooks, the speakers are held out of the limelight by the display issues, they need to be praised. These are the best speakers I've ever heard on a laptop. They aren't amazing for listening to music but acceptable but the cool stereo effect when sending an email "swoooosh" and such is great.

You will probably not notice any of the "lag" people might mention with this laptop and OSX, since you are new. I feel confident it will get smoother with updates.

Enjoy it!

3. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Good review. Can't believe you did not open the rMBP till the day after you'd opened the box, the techno-joy I get makes me far to impatient not to play with new shiny :)

4. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

Kind of off topic but: What is in that ML guide that isn't fairly easy to figure out/obvious from older OSes?

5. johannnn macrumors 65816

johannnn

That button was removed in Lion. You will have to either use iPhoto (http://www.macworld.com/article/1162306/create_looping_slideshow.html), or any of the dozen 3rd party image viewers of which most can loop slideshows.

6. Jedi, Jan 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2013

Jedi thread starter macrumors regular

Jedi

Hi Guy`s ,

Thanks for the complements :)

As far as the book "OS-X Mountain Lion : The Missing Manual" , David Pogue , writes some of the best Mac books out there along with Maria Langer ( although not as Mac committed as Pogue ). It is a very good reference book and a nice read !! :)

Thanks for the tip about "Preview" , I thought it was a "bug in the soup" , so to speak" > LOL < !
    I really appreciate the link , thanks , I`ll be sure to check it out.

The Missing Manual series are all very good for both beginner and intermediate user , and Maria`s "Quick Start Guides" are also highly recommended. In fact OS 9 Quick Start Guide was my second Mac text book. I am on my 4th Pogue book.

Thanks again , and I am happy you enjoyed "part 1" :D

Later ,

Gary 

7. MikesGravity macrumors 6502

I remember when I was a kid and I bought a new video game, I would open the plastic and pop the CD in. I had a lot of friends who would read the crappy manual (remember they used to include those?) from front to back.

With big boy toys, I still prefer to go in blind but the OP seems to like to read up on his toys and know as much as possible going in. Everyone learns different ways and how they like to.

8. Jedi thread starter macrumors regular

Jedi

Hi Mike ,

Thanks for your input , yes I do enjoy reading manuals , not much for novels but have always enjoyed a good manual ( I know weird :eek: ).

I also do it your way as well , I did not read the book cover - to- cover , but more or less use it as a safety net , otherwise I would be posting here all day !!, LOL ;)

Take care :)

Gary 

9. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

I would never buy a 15 dollar manual, but to each his own I guess ;)