A sad story of domestic violence, or how my iPhone hit my iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iRock1, Sep 11, 2011.

1. iRock1 macrumors 6502a

iRock1

One day I was so happy with my iPad 2 at hand and with my iPhone 4 inside the front pocket of my shirt. Everything went so nice until the phone jumped from its place and flied to the floor. The good news: the damn phone remained absolutely healthy. The bad news: before going to the carpet it smashed the iPad!

I mean, seriously, how low are the probabilities that something like that would happen? And the worst and most incredible part? It's not that the iPhone wasn't hurt, it's that iPad is horribly dented at the right border and the volume buttons are stucked! So I see a nice speaker icon in the center of the screen all the time, and no sound at all.

My first choice is to send the iPad to a official technical service (no Apple Stores in my country) and see if they could replace it, since there is no fix —at least officially— for this kind of disaster.

Plan B? I would buy a new case and ask to some "unofficial technical service" to make the repair.

Any suggestion would be appreciated. And please excuse any flagrant fault in my grammar (not english speaker).

Cheers.

2. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

The chances on a 4D plane of that occurring is very small.

3. iRock1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iRock1

For sure. And if we consider the exact point where the iPad got dented, the probabilities are even lower.

Now, any idea about what the hell should I say to validate the warranty?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

Contact Apple, be honest about the cause, and let them decide how to handle the repair.

5. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Best plan.

Rock, you did not say:
    When did you buy it?
    What country you are in (if its not dangerous to say)?

and Good luck!

6. iRock1, Sep 13, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2011

iRock1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iRock1

Thanks.

I live in Chile. And the purchase was between july and august. The thing is that as you probably know, there are no Apple Stores in Latin America, so there's no way to contact Apple directly — I should send my iPad to an "official reseller", where they will evaluate it.

Now, what they told me via mail is that the warranty won't apply if the damage was produced due to an "incorrect use" by the consumer. So probably my story qualifies in that concept... But I don't want to spend again almost 950 bucks!

7. iRock1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iRock1

If there is anyone interested in the case, I sent my iPad to the technical service and they didn't approve the replacement, as I would suspected. So now I'll have a practically useless iPad without audio and with a nice speaker icon in the center of the screen forever and ever.

8. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

9. iRock1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iRock1

Wow actually that's pretty cheap, considering that the replacement on a local service would cost almost 300 bucks. The problem is that I probably won't take the risk of repairing the iPad by myself.

And btw I don't plan to sell my iPad. :p

10. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

are you going to do the repair? ifixit offers great manuals... god luck :)

11. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

Take the case off and just carefully bang the dent back out. Won't be perfect but should take the pressure off the volume button.

12. fashiondgal007 macrumors newbie

Are you sure? I found an apple store in Lima -Peru

13. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

I thought I'd try. I love opening Apple's amazing products, you think it looks good on the outside.. take a peek at the internals, it's a beautiful thing!