A scratch in the bottom of my MBP, will this lead to rust?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by M. Malone, Apr 30, 2008.

1. M. Malone macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

so my MBP was being repaired, I get it back with a nice scratch in the bottom (most likely from screw driver) it's deep enough and is a gray line I can feel, it's in the bottom, doesn't bother me, but can this lead to future rusting in that area?

2. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

No. The outermost layer of the aluminium will have oxidised by now - protecting it from interacting with air any further and rusting.

Technically - it's rusty already. In fact every part of the aluminium on your MBP went rusty seconds after it was first pressed into shape.

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Rust being ferrous oxide and the casing being non-ferrous, I believe the chances of that are middling to low.

4. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

So scratch away and dunk it in water. Your safe. :D

5. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

From rust at least.*

Disclaimer*-Macrumors.com or its members are not responsible for any permanent damage done as a result of this suggestion.

6. M. Malone thread starter macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

Thank you for the replies, I was worried I would have to send this thing back again and wait longer :D

7. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Should be fine if you give it a few seconds in air for the topmost layer to react with the air and form Aluminium Oxide which will protect the aluminium underneath from reacting.

8. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

Put a thin layer of zinc on top of the Al of your MBP ;) it is the sacrificial metal after all.

Just kidding, nothing to worry about.

9. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

I've had a scratch on mine for over a year. Other than the pain of knowing it is there, you have nothing to worry about. Plus, aluminum doesn't "rust", but it does corrode.

"Aluminum is actually very prone to corrosion. However, aluminum corrosion is aluminum oxide, a very hard material that actually protects the aluminum from further corrosion. Aluminum oxide corrosion also looks a lot more like aluminum, so it isn't as easy to notice as rusted iron."

http://www.theruststore.com/Does-Aluminum-Rust-W26C2.aspx

10. David G. macrumors 65816

So what you're telling us is those of you who have MBPs should scratch them up the wazoo and then they will end up being better than before?:D:D

11. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

It came back that way from repair? I would throw a fit, that is completely uncalled for.

12. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Usually if you can prove that they scratched your machine, you can write a formal complaint into Apple asking them them to replace the damaged part or request a exchange. A service provider should take full responsibility for any damage incurred (with the exception of your data) regarding your machine whilst it's in for service.