A script to identify pictures in the Finder not added to Aperture?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by PkennethV, Jan 30, 2012.

1. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

Does anyone know of a script that can check out the contents of a folder containing a series of nested folders holding files that are being referenced in the Aperture Library and point out the files in that folder which have not been added to the Aperture Library?

The majority of the files in that folder (thousands) are being actively referenced in my Aperture Library, but for whatever reason that I won't get into, a few hundred pictures that are in that folder somewhere have had their links to Aperture broken and it would be great if I could identify which files those were and hook them back up to Aperture.

These are all pretty old pictures that I likely won't ever need to be touching ever again, so if the solution is going to be a massive re-doing of my Library, then it won't be worth it, but if it can be done relatively easily then, ya know…it'd be nice to have the Library be "perfect" and free from broken links :)

2. TheDrift- macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

Cant you open a new finder window and type in .jpg or .tiff etc into the seach bar in the top right...it will then find all the pictures for you, including all those in sub folders??

3. rebby macrumors 6502

Are these images all Referenced then? If so, you could migrate then all to Managed files then see what is left over.

Another option would be to attempt to import all of them with "Do not import duplicates" enabled. This way, you let Aperture sort out what's what.

If you're looking for a "clean" library, I'd suggest a migration to Managed files. Then do a complete import of the rest of your files.

If you feel like doing some scripting, you could do this on the fly via a simple shell script that loops through your Aperture library and indexes all of your images (with an md5sum). Once you have that index built, you then loop through all images on your disk and check md5sum's against the index. If there is a match, move the file to a "match" directory, else move to a "nomatch" directory. Then go from there. While simple, this method is overly complicated though and unnecessary, let Aperture do this for you. ;)

4. d.steve macrumors regular

Exactly what I did. Very simple procedure. I didn't think of it at the time, but you might be able to instead move all images to a new referenced location and accomplish the same thing if you're one of those who is nervous about managed libraries (I'm not).

5. PkennethV thread starter macrumors 6502a

Done!

Thanks for your replies, everyone.

For some reason, I made the false assumption that the Relocate Masters command would only work when moving files from a Managed Library out to a Referenced location. I didn't realize that the Relocate Masters command would be able to move my referenced files around to other locations as well (I knew about the Consolidate command, but I didn't want to mix things up as I have some files Managed and some Referenced).