A Secular Bible - Anyone reading this?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by arkitect, Apr 4, 2011.

1. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

BBC link…

If I buy a copy it'll be more out of curiousity than any inner need to find meaning and guidance.
    Perhaps it'll just be a potted guide to world philosophy with some science thrown in — Bertrand Russell teaming up with Carl Sagan? ;)

Do we atheists need our own "Good Book"?

2. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Basically it should be an idiot's guide to philosophy to familiarize people with differing schools of thought that exist outside religious contexts and how they empower a human to be the best he/she can.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No- how ridiculous. Atheism is not a religion.

4. takao macrumors 68040

takao

as an agnostic, which was raised catholic, i'm not seeing the point of this .. apart of making money

i suspect it makes as much sense as the new catholic YOUCAT. what a fantastic way to short Youth Catechism :rolleyes:

5. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

Dogmatic belief in the nonexistence of God can be considered a religion.
    Agnostic atheism cannot though.

6. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Umm..no. Sorry.

8. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Then where is its tax exemption?

9. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

No.

Atheism isn't a religion, why would there need to be a book? Seems silly to me.

10. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Agreed.

11. barkomatic macrumors 68040

A child does not naturally grow up to be socially responsible or kind. They naturally grow up to be self-centered and violent unless a parent or authority teaches them otherwise.

As negative as I think religion can be, it has set a code of conduct for people that enables cooperation and empathy for others. Although we don't need religion to teach people morals, we need some agreed upon code of conduct.

You might say that the laws of a country serve that purpose, but they don't. They are simply rules everyone must follow and any despotic ruler can set awful laws that can hurt people. Therefore, the code of conduct has to be separate from the law.

If atheism has any future, its needs some type of unified, agreed upon code.

12. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Religion doesn't have an agreed upon code of conduct. Morals don't stem from religion! People use their morals to pick the best bits of religion to act on. Morals are actually much deeper than that- some other primates have been shown to exhibit different levels of morality.

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh please. I find nothing positive about scaring children with a bunch of lies to get them to behave.

14. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Sorry, that is utter crap. My best friend in grade school was raised completely without religion, and he is the nicest person in the world. Meanwhile, there are copious and abundant examples of self-centered, amoral, greedy bastards preaching jesus to the masses: if religion cannot help them, what value is it?

15. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

It's not a question of "helping" but rather "using"... :eek:

16. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

Uhm, yeah. Saying "this is not true and that's it" is no different than "this is true and that's it."

17. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Your best friend may not have been raised by his parents with religion, but the society in which he was raised is influenced by Judeo-Christian values. Even atheists often display Judeo-Christian values because of the effect of society around them.

Don't misunderstand me. I'm not saying we need religion to raise children, but we better have a moral code of some kind to replace it with.

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Well, that's what you did. You get what you give.

19. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I agree, but how will we make people feel guilty for murdering someone? I think we can teach children morals without religion but I think there needs to be some coordinated effort to make this possible. This author is at least trying.

Also, believe or not atheists get cancer, lose their jobs, and generally have hard times. People need comfort and support and if there is no religion then there has to be some structure in place to help people through these difficulties.

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Do you really think people are just gong to run around killing each other if there's no religion? Really?

Yeah, I had a lot of rough times medically this year. I did not need to pray to some "god" to get through them.

21. iStudentUK, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2011

iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

That doesn't make it a religion though.

Society isn't based on Judeo-Christian values though. Rather, Judeo-Christian values are based upon society. Religion just fits in with the times. If all religious people read the Bible literally they would stone me on site for being an atheist, they would hate homosexuals. Instead, people pick and choose the parts of the Bible they like based upon their own morality. The Bible has remained the same for 2000 years, yet look at the change in society in just the last 100- women's rights, gay rights, civil rights etc.

You stated earlier that without guidance children would grow up to be selfish and violent. This is quite untrue. As I said earlier some higher primates show morality. Some children would grow up to be violent, but some would not. No amount of religion or lack of religion will change that.

22. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

The idea that religion is the only thing that keeps kids from growing up into terrible people is a bit outdated, there are large countries in the Western World were religion has almost no influence and these places are not a pool of hate.