a self proclaimed redneck discovers racism is horrible.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, Apr 11, 2015.

1. steve knight, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2015

steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

2. jkcerda, Apr 12, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2015

jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

All 3 links are the same.
    Get rid of affirmative action if you want things to be equal.

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

A rather incomprehensible post, I'm afraid to say.

4. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

Thanks , NyQuil is not working well tonight

5. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

So you rescinded your comment? The situation from a race perspective was hardly equal before affirmative action.

6. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

I like this guy. He's talking about some unfortunate hard truths that many will vehemently deny or attempt to derail the conversation by pointing out some other injustice such as the way affirmative action was implemented. He would do well for himself to turn his act into a comedy routine and take it on the road.

7. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

ops fixed.

8. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

Fixed my comment,affirmative action makes it so we are not equal NOW

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I work for the State of California, occasionally sit on hiring committees, and have been trained specifically on applying Affirmative Action Policy.

Last Wednesday I had a meeting with an HR representative as we were kicking off another hiring committee, and I asked him again about our institution (part of the California State University system) and how we apply AA.

He repeated the message that I've mentioned time and time again in these threads: AA policy states that you cannot exclude a candidate based on their gender, age, race, religion or sexual preference. I have never been advised to select a candidate based on any of those categories. I have only been advised to not let any prejudice against those categories get in the way of judging a person's qualifications.

AA applied in this way equalizes the playing field for those who have traditionally been discriminated against.

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I believe some people equate affirmative action with quotas, which may or may not exist. I'd have to know the particulars to object. I support the general idea the more integration in higher education is a good thing if not overdone.

11. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

All three of you links are in portrait mode shooting! That tells me that they really don't understand to turn their smart phone and shoot video in Landscape mode. :eek:

12. TexanMan05 macrumors regular

TexanMan05

It's good to see you paid attention in class.

13. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Or you could use 100% common sense and not be prejudiced without some legislation that tells you shouldn't be. lmao

You're just talking semantics here so get real. People are referring to the process of lowering standards for minorities. Whether it's /called/ AA is irrelevant.

14. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

too bad common sense is so lacking.

15. TexanMan05 macrumors regular

TexanMan05

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'm trying to help people understand how the program's implementation is on an organizational level, and not some edict handed down by the federal government. From many of the posts in these threads, it's clear that people do not understand some fundemental issues about how AA works. I hope you don't mind if I bring some of my experience in this matter to the table.

You suggest "100% common sense" and "not be[ing] prejudiced" could be used. Do you really believe that people use 100% of their common sense? Do you really believe that prejudice doesn't exist in hiring?

We're not even talking private sector jobs here. We're talking about federal contractors, or institutions who receive federal grant money. Is it too much for you to accept that those receiving government funds adhere to even a minimal standard of non-discrimination?

17. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Like I said, my problem is not with laws or programs that ensure NON-discrimination. My problem is when standards are lowered for minorities but not white people and especially not asians.

Ok, affirmative action isn't what you have described. But people aren't complaining about that, and if they are they're stupid.

18. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

The federal govt should not be endorsing the racist parts within AA. They should get rid of it just like CA did.