A showboat and a grandstander

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, May 11, 2017.

1. MacNut, May 11, 2017
    Last edited: May 11, 2017

MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Who do you think of when you hear those words. James Comey of course. Or at least Donald Trump does. Or is it possible he looked in the mirror when saying these things.

In an interview with Lester Holt Trump said he was going to fire Comey regardless of the recommendations of the DOJ. He also said Comey is a showboat and a grandstander.

2. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

What do I think of when I hear those words? I think of this guy:

IMG_2763.JPG

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Yeah, when I heard Trump refer to Comey as a grandstander and showboater, I couldn't believe it.

It defies the laws of physics how the man can be so narcissistic and self-unaware at the same time.

4. SusanK macrumors 68000

Isn't that a B! I almost rolled out of my chair when I heard that. Not a lot Trump says surprises me. That one caught me off guard.

5. IronWaffle macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

Isn't "takes one to know one" a famous line he invented for Art of the Deal?

6. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

It's called projecting. Not the first time he has done it. Yet another mental condition. I almost feel sorry for him he is saddled with so many.

7. SusanK macrumors 68000

I love your mental condition comments! I don't feel sorry for him. I feel sorry for us.

8. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

The whole interview left me with my jaw on the floor. No wonder so many layers felt he shouldn't have done it.

The fact that he doesn't recognize himself in that comment is the least of what he left himself open to in giving that jaw-dropping interview.

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

If I feel sorry for anybody around Trump, it's his family. We all joke about our dads being embarrassing at times. Can you imagine what they must feel when this man makes a laughing stock out of himself in front of the entire world multiple times every single day?

(Not sure if the Trump boys have the shame gene, but Jared and Ivanka might. Melania almost certainly does.)

10. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Having a parent who is (a) ungodly rich and (b) leader of the free world would probably make up for a wide range of faults. ;)

11. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

You know, I'm really itching to dispute (b)… that Trump is the supposed/alleged leader of the free world makes me vomit. But until such time as someone else steps up, I guess we have what we have.

God that is depressing…

12. samiwas macrumors 65816

A friend of mine used to work for Jared. She says he is one of the worst human beings she has ever had the displeasure of knowing.

13. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

LOL speaking of the laws of physics, Trump’s self-absorption and weird proclamations mid-interview sometimes remind me more than a little of the sense of bits of that U2 song, The Fly.

A man will rise
    A man will fall
    From the sheer face of love
    Like a fly from a wall
    It's no secret at all

The lyrics of The Fly were spun off a series of aphorisms Bono had collected over a period of time. It was one of the hits from U2’s Achtung Baby album. Set to the relatively abrasive switchup that the music of The Fly was, compared to U2’s earlier works, it’s perfect when flipped from a song of the insanities of love into a a buzzy parody of Donald Trump in the eternal throes of maximum self-love and total disregard of all else.

Bono suggested the effect of The Fly was meant as “a crank call from hell, but the caller likes it there.”

Consider this line:

It’s no secret a liar won’t believe anyone else.

That right there seems close to good enough as a riff on what Trump’s all about. The thing is, I liked it better when I didn’t really understand the truth of that particular one-liner. It took Trump to provide me the illustration.

Another:

It’s no secret that ambition bites the nails of success.

And the wrap:

It's no secret that the stars are falling from the sky
    The universe exploded 'cause of one man's lie
    Look, I gotta go, yeah I'm running outta change
    There's a lot of things, if I could I'd rearrange...

14. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I feel absolutely ZERO compassion for these people as they are allowing it to continue without publicly speaking out just so they can continue to live their rich cushy life.

If he were my father, I would have spoken out against him long ago. Make him feel the embarrassment that I feel. Call him out on his BS. I wouldn't care if I become the black sheep or was written out of the will. I'd still have my self respect. I don't know how these people sleep at night, unless they themselves lack the self awareness that their father does. Or else, they just are evil. A family of vampires.

Well, that explains why Donald likes him so much. Birds of a feather flock together.

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I'll be able to feel sorry for him when he is no longer threatening our future.

16. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, that's disappointing.

And they wonder why we peons view the rich as arrogant ass*****. I mean, there are some wonderful rich people out there. But in days gone by, Trump and his family would've been first to be guillotined by the proletariat.

Pretty much sums it up.
    --- Post Merged, May 13, 2017 ---
    That's so incredibly over-the-top it's embarrassing. Which means Donald probably thought it was just swell.

I remember this, too:

[​IMG]

17. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Ever read the blog, **** My Dad Says? This would be a political version of that. It would be hilarious to create a page with quotes like this, let alone a drinking game.

So.. who's up for the page, and who's read to get @fitshaced? ;):D

BL.

18. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

A friend of mine used to work for Jared. She says he is one of the best human beings she has ever had the pleasure of knowing.

19. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

is this truth or just one upmanship?

20. JayMysterio, May 13, 2017
    Last edited: May 13, 2017

JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

Well, now I am kind of hoping 45 is right...

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slat...tify_before_lawmakers_but_only_in_public.html

Here's hoping that Comey now lives up to that claim and more...

21. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

More commentary on the value of anonymous sources.

22. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

As Ronald Reagan would say, Trust, but Verify. You can implicitly trust, but expect to have the claim verified. commenting on the value anonymous sources doesn't serve any purpose until you call out the claim, which you haven't done yet.

BL.

23. HEK, May 14, 2017
    Last edited: May 15, 2017

HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

The now famous inaugural scene where Trump turns around to look at Melanie is the classic tell. Melania's face is a broad fake smile when he looks at her. The moment he turns back, her face reveals the somber mood she is actually feeling. The hate and fear were palpable.

24. samiwas macrumors 65816

It's ZombieAcorn, what do you think? There's a reason Trump appeals so much to him...