A sign of video card failure? classic 15" mbp (not unibody)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johnsy, Dec 22, 2009.

1. johnsy macrumors 6502

After more than a year :mad: passed, my mbp started to behave as if something is wrong with a video card. When I browse some websites, text becomes scrambled and the only "cure" seems restart (mbp is always in sleep mode too, when I don't use it, if it matters). I tried to take some screen captures, but they look as if nothing is wrong. So the only way to capture how it looks is using external camera. So far this happened just 2 times and restart seems stops the problem.

My questions are these- is it a sign of a video card failure and how long I got till it becomes too annoying to use mbp, and how to replicate this result? Can something make this problem worse? I don't play any video games, primary it is a computer for internet, NeoOffice and once in a while I watch a movie on it. My original plan was to keep it for 4 years (so 3 more years to go or not :mad: )

Oh yah, and I don't have apple care either. :rolleyes:

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. Mumford macrumors regular

Sounds like the kind of artifacts you get when the video card is overheating. Try some canned air in the ventilation areas all around the comp. Also make sure all the fans are running.

4. johnsy thread starter macrumors 6502

It is 15" model MBP4,1; 2.4GHz; Nvidia GeForce 256 MB 8600M GT.

5. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

6. macfrik macrumors 6502

macfrik

Don't worry, Apple and nVidia both had an agreement that they will repair any computers with 8600GT card that failed with or without an AppleCare agreement. This happened with me about 2 months ago.

I have the 2.6Ghz and 8600GT card with no AppleCare, they sent my unit to their depot for repair and then shipped back to my door for free. Overnight!

Good service.

If I were you, I'd go to your local Apple Store and let the Genius run diagnostics on your computer.

7. johnsy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks macfrik. Did you had the same artifacts while using Safari?

Believe me or not, I don't care about small things- occasional restart, scratches, and so on- regular stuff you find on this forum :p . This is life and I am not going to spend it pampering my computer. However I mind bigger stuff- if computer will die one day without warning, batteries will start on fire and so on.

Comparing older and new generation Apple products seems they are a little bit better made these days. For example unibody is superior to classic body. However I love my white iMac. :)