A simple solution for us stuck in the 3G world (an open letter of sorts to Apple)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JustinP81, Jun 10, 2009.

1. JustinP81 macrumors 6502

Now, like a lot of you, I was quite upset to find out that I would have to pay a premium to get my hands on the 3GS. I understand the contact I signed, and I WILLINGLY signed it too, but for those of us who stood in line for hours in 2007 on launch day to get our hands on the first iPhone, and then a year later to get the 3G... it's a bit frustrating to be shut out this time around.

That said, I think there's a solution that would put out at least SOME of the fires.

As shown with Jailbroken iPhone 3G's, video capture and voice control is possible. However, these features are being shut out of our 3.0 update, and while I'm no expert on the inner-workings of either the 3G or the 3GS, I would wager to say that if a Jailbroken 3G can capture video, surely a non-Jailbroken iPhone 3G can too, as long as we have the proper software update.

With that, I would propose to Apple, who will be losing countless amounts of money from those of us unwilling to upgrade our 3G's, to offer a version of the 3.0 update with some of the 3GS features built in.

And not for FREE, either.

I think there's a majority of us who would be willing to PAY for this version of the 3.0 update. I don't know what the fair price would be, but I would say somewhere between $20 to $50 dollars.

What would I like to see?

• Video recording
    • Voice command (since it's possible on the 3G with apps already available, this shouldn't even be up for discussion)

Now, I don't think it would be "fair" to get the full features of these updates, so while the 3G users could record video, we shouldn't be allowed to edit the videos. Gotta leave some of the new stuff to the 3GS (like the compass, which wouldn't work with our phones anyway)...

As far as the auto-focus goes, I'm not sure if this is a software issue or a feature of the actual camera itself.

It's a win-win for Apple and it's users. They get us who can't/won't upgrade to the 3GS to PAY for a special version of the 3.0 update, and we get to have features that many of us feel shouldn't warrant spending $400+ dollars on.

Any of you agree?

2. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

You make some decent points, but doesn't the 3G only shoot jailbroken video at 15-20 fps? Would that be worth it to pay for? I know Apple doesn't like to do things unless it is perfect in their eyes, so maybe that is the reason for not allowing video on the 3G.

With the voice control, there maybe a chip for that inside the 3G S (there you go Spaz I spelled it correctly :D). I don't know much about programming/chips, so maybe the 3G can't handle it.

From a business side, I can understand why they don't include all options on the 3G, they want upgraders. Otherwise, most people would just flock to the $99 8gb.

3. anthdci macrumors 6502

video editting requires more powerful hardware. Recoding video with the apps available is really sluggish ranging from 5-10fps max, so not really worth it.

I know what you mean but i think apple giving us 3.0 for free is pretty good, i couldnt see any other manufacturer doing that

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Nope. I do not agree.

I do not agree that just because you stood in line in 2007 means that you're shut out today. You were not shut out of the very first subsidized deal that came with the iPhone. You got it and like EVERY other phone you buy on contract you are bound to the terms of said contract.

I would not pay any cash to get 3Gs features on my 3G phone because quite frankly I believe what we're getting with 3.0 is all we're going to get on our 3G no matter how much we offer. Sure, we can jailbreak, go right ahead and do it. Do you think it's really going to hurt Apple all that much?

When you say you willingly signed a contract and then said you've been shut out of this upgrade you are contradicting yourself slightly.

What you should say is you willingly signed a 24 month contract and assumed all risk that the next best thing would come out in less than 24 months.

5. ReleasedAce macrumors newbie

ReleasedAce

I would also like to see the Nike+ app on the 3g as well

6. dagomike macrumors 65816

There are no free lunches. If you buy a subsidized phone, don't expect to buy another for 18 months. Apple/ATT IS giving you a break by not making you pay full retail.

7. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

So, say someone currently has a Jailbroken 3g and loves the videorecorders that are on their phone right now. You talk about voice control features already available in an app. Do you have the repo/app name that one could look into getting please? :)

8. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Why do people feel they are entitled to the new iPhone every year it comes out when the upgrade schedule is clearly stated. People are outraged at apple and AT&T for such move as to hold people to their agreement. It is this very sense of entitlement that has caused this country to head down the crapper. No one owes anyone anything here, no one needs to give you something discounted or free to make up for you feeling neglected.

9. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Whiners

I bought an unsubsidized original iPhone. I then didn't buy at 3G because I figured, what the hey, it's only a little faster, right?

So I waited. Now, because my contract is up and my iPhone is two years old, I'm getting a 3GS at the subsidized price. Do I like the contract terms? Of course not, BUT IT'S A CONTRACT, PEOPLE.

The iPhone can't run all the goodies on 3.0 that the 3G and 3GS can. Makes perfect sense to upgrade.

Go bitch about something worthwhile, please.

10. aristobrat macrumors G4

You're not shut out!

Just like when you stood in line for hours in 2007 on launch day and paid full price ($599) for the first iPhone, you can stand in line in 2009 -- and pay full price for the iPhone 3GS.

The only thing you CAN'T do is get a full-subsidy discount off the price of the phone, like you did in 2008.

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

So you expect to buy a car, and get a free upgrade every year?

12. Switz213 macrumors 6502

This would never happen for many of the reasons posted above. Apple wants something to differentiate from each iPhone. Along with that. Most people that have iPhones are not tech savvy. When their 3G shoots crappy video comapred to their friends 3Gs (They wouldn't realize that the S is such a great improvement on the lines of video and processing). They would be upset. It would be hectic. It would never happen, but if you want it to... Just jailbreak

-Switz

13. JustinP81 thread starter macrumors 6502

What's amazing to me is that some of you claim I'm bitching. I'm hardly doing so.

I'm merely saying that I believe some of us are upset that some features included on the 3G S seem like they should be OR should HAVE been included on the 3G (either with the 3.0 upgrade or at the original launch)

Explain to me why I can buy an app for voice control, but Apple won't include that on the 3.0 upgrade? I find it hard to believe the speed of the 3G is to blame here.

Look. I know I signed that contract, I knew what I was getting myself into. I'm not asking to get out of it for free, I'm not asking for a hand out, I'm not asking for any of that.

But it seems silly to ME, maybe not to you, to lock out some features that the 3G can do, either with legit apps or being jailbroken, and only offer those on the 3G S.

I didn't think of the frame rate issue with the 3G camera. However, I think that could be solvable with a software/firmware update (or maybe not, I'm not an expert)

Anyway, it was just a thought, and my apologies if I've come off as a whiner.

I'll go back to my hole now.

14. nanvinnie macrumors regular

i TOTALLY agree! some people opted to wait, some people opted to buy early and in the end some people "feel" shafted while others "feel" fortunate. if you want an upgrade EVERY year, you're going to have to pay for it.

15. JustinP81 thread starter macrumors 6502

AGREED.

That's why I would support a different 3.0 upgrade with some features that are FREE on the 3G S but would be unavailable to 3G users, unless you PAID for them.

To me, that's a fair solution.

This way, we fulfill the contract we signed, while enjoying SOME, but not ALL, of the newer features. (even IF the video is choppy ((after all, it is a phone you're shooting video on)) and even if we don't get all the supported features that come with voice control or video capture)

But I guess that's asking for too much?

16. Prolif1k macrumors 6502

Wow, you guys don't need to flame him so much. The point of his post was that he thinks Apple should make a higher level 3.0 upgrade for a fee. He said he doesn't expect to get the new phone for a subsidized post, so read the OP's entire post before you attack him. His proposal is actually quite good and it's logical. It may not work because of hardware or whatever, but it is nonetheless a nice idea other than the typical, "I WANT A NEW IPHONE EVERY YEAR FOR CHEAP."

17. dagomike macrumors 65816

If you can demonstrate the 2G or 3G can reasonably support these features I'd agree. I haven't seen anything to think this is the case when in fact I can see reasons to not support said features.

18. JustinP81 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you very much. I appreciate that.

I'd like to add that I'm not of the mindset that Apple OWES me anything. They are a company in the business of making money. They aren't in the business of making Justin happy. While I love their products and am privileged to be able to afford them, I'm not so narrow minded to think that just because I sat in line, twice, for their iPhone AUTOMATICALLY means that I'm entitled to the newest one they put out at the lowest price available.

As my Mom told me as a kid when I got into trouble... "you made your bed, now sleep in it". The contract I signed is still in effect, this I understand.

And while I have no idea whether or not my 3G phone can do the things I've proposed it to do (I'm a artist, not a software engineer), it was only a thought.

"If a jailbroken iPhone can shoot video, and I can buy a voice control app from iTunes, why can't these just be built in features for the 3G?"

That's where my train of thought started.

Again, I wasn't asking for these features for free, or even to have them be the full-blown features of the 3G S, but it seems obvious that the 3G can do SOME of these things, and if I was given an offer to buy into some of these for a cost which would be less than that of breaking my contract or buying a costlier iPhone, I think I would be inclined to take it.

That's it. I would pay for a version of the 3.0 software that has some of the 3G S features. End of story.

Sorry I riled any of you up.

19. nanvinnie macrumors regular

i think the idea of getting a revised (paid) version of the 3.0 firmware upgrade is a great idea. i just don't agree with (not only on this thread) but everyone feeling like they are owed a subsidized iphone whenever a revision hits the market. it's "almost" like complaining when your model car gets and upgrade and you expect the dealer to do something about it. consider the "subsidizing" as a favor.

i going to go out on a limb and assume that even if the iphone was not subsidized, A LOT of people would still get it. subsidizing is an added bonus (i think).

the 3GS is (i think, again) a semi-minor upgrade. if/when a completely new revision comes out, all the 3G users will qualify for it's subsidized launch while most of the 3GS folks will be "left out."

so if you can wait for the next revision, save some money and get the next one when it comes out. if you NEED the 3GS, you're just gonna have to fork over a large chunk of change.

20. nanvinnie macrumors regular

i think it's great that you have your idea gears in motion, it's refreshing to see someone actually consider this as a business prop, but i think the issue is essentially split between 2 parties. i was pretty frustrated when people bought the very first iphone at the ridiculously high price only to find that a few weeks later, the price was dropped. that was ridiculous! just cuz something goes on sale later, how does that give anyone the right to get the reduced price? if that's how things worked than people would NEVER reduce prices in fear of lash back.

anyway, i do like your idea and i think that's a fair deal.

21. JustinP81 thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree, prices will drop, new ones are going to always come out, people will feel cheated and left out, but that's business and it's nothing new. You've got to learn to live with the choices you've made, right?

Thanks!

22. dagomike macrumors 65816

While I don't agree the 3GS is a minor upgrade, what happens if next year the next iPhone is another "minor" upgrade? Do you wait another year because you don't want to miss out on what is absolutely, positively, certainly, must be, has to be, a major upgrade the next year?

It just comes down to cost benefit. Even though I could have got a 3G last year for $200, I just paid $600 the year before, and would be paying $15 more per month to AT&T. Some people may find $400 is worth it to them. Some may keep using their 2G phone.

23. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

That annoyed me like none other. It was such a pointless complaint coming from people, I couldn't believe what I was hearing. So they cut prices, WHO CARES! That happens! It was absolutely insanity that so many people were getting bent about that.

24. JustinP81 thread starter macrumors 6502

The only problem I have in this whole situation is that Apple knows damn well it's going to unleash a new iPhone every 12 months. So, Apple allowing AT&T to lock iPhone users into a 24 month contract seems a little confusing, especially if Apple is in the market to sell users new hardware every year.

I would have been willing to pay slightly more for the 3G last July and get a 12 month contract, knowing that I can either keep the 3G after the year is up or upgrade again. The days of having a cell phone for years and years are over, and Apple, of all companies, knows this.

25. sdm1985 macrumors 6502

My gripe is that they are benchmarking the new iPhone on the 3G and still having ir for sale...practicaly saying the iPhone 3G is too slow.