A Site History Troll

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cell-666, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Cell-666 macrumors 6502

With the soon to be announced iPhone 5 to be announced I was thing at what point did the rumor mill start on the forums about Apples first iPhone.

Looking back through old threads going back to 2001 there are some amusing comments from forum members. Made me laugh how some people are absolutely resolute about what direction or what products Apple were investing in, also quite scary how accurate people were too.

The following quotes are not here to embarrass people, remember they were written well before anyone knew anything, but the quotes are just to show how much thinking has changed.

Read on:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=108349&postcount=5

Why the surprise that there was no PDA?! SJ has said long ago that Apple had no interest in going back down that road, and it has way enough to concentrate on than to make a second attempt at tapping the market.

If anything, they are probably going to ride the coattails of Cingular and any PDA/Phone they support...why the hell would they compete with a partnership?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=108365&postcount=7

Quote:
    Originally posted by Sun Baked
    But look how close Apple is to a new PDA with the iPod now - just add a trackpad and inkwell. No need for huge memory in the iPod just a nice little VM engine to make use of the HD.
    And just look how powerful it would be with a 20 GIG hard drive built in!

A multi-functional unit with as much capacity than that, a nice LCD colour display - AND a cut-down version of OSX - would be an amazing feat. The masses would be swooning over it.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=108424&postcount=11

I also think that you guys are heading down the wrong road.

Think about it...what kind of semi-portable device would work perfectly with all the new technologies?

A TABLET!!

I 100% believe that Apple will release one sometimes relatively soon. (not months, but maybe within the year)

-Pete

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=108503&postcount=13

Quote:
    Originally posted by eyelikeart
    u guys are completely hopeless...

and people wonder why I fight against the PDA issue so much...
    Kind of makes you wonder what these jokers are smoking, doesn't it eye.

To add a touchscreen to the iPod would be moronic (as are those wanting it). The iPod is adding features to give people access to specific types of data that they input through their computer (not directly from the device). That is NOT a pda.

Get over the fact that Apple will not be going down the pda path again. Move on with your 'life'.

Full thread here
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=7999&highlight=iphone

2. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

That is amazing to read!!! Great find. Heck I had no clue at the time-I had an Ericsson flip phone (crappy), a palm pilot and a Dell DJ mp3 player.

3. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

4. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I would say he nailed it lol

Quote:
    Originally posted by Sun Baked
    But look how close Apple is to a new PDA with the iPod now - just add a trackpad and inkwell. No need for huge memory in the iPod just a nice little VM engine to make use of the HD.
    And just look how powerful it would be with a 20 GIG hard drive built in!

A multi-functional unit with as much capacity than that, a nice LCD colour display - AND a cut-down version of OSX - would be an amazing feat. The masses would be swooning over it.

5. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

You somehow think this is funnier than what people are talking about now? Also I'm not sure how you can be embarrassed about something they said 10 years ago, 6 years before the iPhone even came out. Should Jules Verne be embarrassed because the trip to the moon didn't turn out the way he thought it would?

7. Cell-666 thread starter macrumors 6502

I was just trying make a point of what public perceptions and realities turn out to be. There's currently a lot of noise about how Apple are losing ground the competitors (which will always be a natural cycle) but when in fact they could have yet another game changing product, or move into a market place no one previously envisaged.

8. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

Haha I love reading old threads, time flys man, so does technology.

9. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

Excellent thread, amazing how much foresight some people have and it must be slightly embarrassing for some who make incorrect predictions with so much confidence.

I chuckle every time some says there will be an iPad mini, preposterous.

10. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I think it is more what the second quote said. Not embarrassing b.c they were wrong, but b.c they were so confident and ridiculed others.

11. 725032 Guest

12. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

great thread ... nice creative thinking to throw this up here

cheers :D

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Ten years ago it was "Jobs said they're doing or not doing this."

Now it's "Tim Cook said they're doubling down on secrecy, etc."