A small Iphone emergency

Gaelinic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
So, my son turned 12 and was promised his aunt's old iphone 4. We just got it today. And my son couldn't be happier. However, we didn't realize that an AT&T phone could not be used on Verizon network. He's going to be devastated tomorrow.

All is not lost. My wife gave the go ahead to get the iphone 5 for me. So now I would pass on my phone to him. But, a cursory glance online seems to indicate that the iphone 5 is nowhere to be found. Is that the case? I can't call stores now since they closed 15 minutes ago.

Do you know if stores have the iPhone 5 in stock? If so, which ones?

thanks

Abandapart82

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2008
You will want use the iPhone reservation system on apple.com. Basically you log on after 10pm and go through as if you where going to buy the phone online. Instead of shipping choose local pick up and that should be that. Hope that helps.

duneriderltr450

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Oregon
If you try hard enough i'm sure you can find one. Best Buy, Walmart, Radio Shack. You can also try other cities near you for a better chance.

dotme

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
Yes you can order online, but why not swing by your local Verizon store tomorrow first? Worth a shot. Some will have stock on hand.

numberforty1

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2012
Canada
Good luck finding an iphone 5 now.
If you order it online you can have it in as little as 3-4 weeks.
I called rogers tonight and they said i could have one mailed out in 3-5 business days, if i want another.

3-4weeks??????

i only waited 17 days for my 1st. iphone 5, and that was ordered on October 1st.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I called rogers tonight and they said i could have one mailed out in 3-5 business days, if i want another.

3-4weeks??????

i only waited 17 days for my 1st. iphone 5, and that was ordered on October 1st.
As indicated by AT&T and verizon carriers on the first post we're talking about USA iphone 5 stock levels.
Not sure about iphone availability throughout the rest of the world:D

numberforty1

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2012
Canada
Not a bad idea, if you do get into it you can make some decent profit:)
The black ones are still hard to find here. but white? yeah ...readily available (at most places)

Some people here try to sell the phones on ebay and kijiji and mark up the prices so high, its ridiculous.

Deacon-Blues

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
California
It depends on where you are. Here in San Diego it's usually impossible to get a new iPhone or iPad when just released, but this time I managed to saunter into the AT&T store on launch day and get an iPhone 5. My local store still has some in stock.

You just have to call around to your local AT&T stores and Apple Stores. Hope you find one.

erratikmind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
S.F./Las Vegas
So, my son turned 12 and was promised his aunt's old iphone 4. We just got it today. And my son couldn't be happier. However, we didn't realize that an AT&T phone could not be used on Verizon network. He's going to be devastated tomorrow.

All is not lost. My wife gave the go ahead to get the iphone 5 for me. So now I would pass on my phone to him. But, a cursory glance online seems to indicate that the iphone 5 is nowhere to be found. Is that the case? I can't call stores now since they closed 15 minutes ago.

Do you know if stores have the iPhone 5 in stock? If so, which ones?

thanks
Is it possible to have the AT&T iPhone unlocked to work on the Verizon network?

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States
Not really. The LTE channels are different between the two carriers so the SoC is different between the two phones. If you want the full capabilities, you will need to get the Verizon one. Go to your local store and see if they have any.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Not really. The LTE channels are different between the two carriers so the SoC is different between the two phones. If you want the full capabilities, you will need to get the Verizon one. Go to your local store and see if they have any.
Even without the LTE channels verizon would never activate another carriers phone on their network that is not sold by them or locked to them initially.
The other way around would work with a verizon i5 on AT&T or any GSM provider.

canucksfan88

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
how is everything lost?

tell your 12 year old son to wait? you don't always get everything you want when you want it. patience.

if you are trying to get an unlocked phone...you are SOL, those can only be reserved online.

if you are getting an upgrade, go to a store...

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
how is everything lost?

tell your 12 year old son to wait? you don't always get everything you want when you want it. patience.

if you are trying to get an unlocked phone...you are SOL, those can only be reserved online.

if you are getting an upgrade, go to a store...
This explains the attitude of kids these days.

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States
So Verizon doesn't allow non Verizon branded or previously locked Verizon phones on their network? Just asking since I really don't know. I've only had Sprint and AT&T. I thought that as long as the frequencies were compatible and it was unlocked, you could register it and get it to work.

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
When I was 12, and didn't get my WWE wrestling ring with stone cold and the rock, THAT was devastating.

This is simply a case of spoilage.
Good luck on the hunt.

Clint1583

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2011
You had to ask your wife if you could buy a new phone? Your a disgrace to every guy out there.

iRooney

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Charleston, SC
I think the big issue here is a 12 year old with a phone, let alone an iPhone. I got my first cellphone when I was 17. What are kids doing these days that they need them anyway?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.