A Spare copy of iLife 09 and OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by faffoo, Apr 20, 2009.

1. faffoo macrumors 6502

Hi there,

I have an iMac at home and I recently purchased iLife 09 (Single License). But my computer had to be replaced because it was damaged and the new one came with iLife 09 pre-installed. So the bottom line is, I have a copy of iLife 09 that is not being used. Would you be able to tell me, can you use the retail version of iLife 09 on another computer. (If it makes a difference, when I set up my replacement computer I restored it from a time machine back up, thus meaning it is effectively the retail version of iLife 09 installed.)

The proposed machine I would like to put iLife 09 on would be a macbook at school. This is currently not running Leopard. A teacher at school bought leopard a while back for his macbook but never registered it online. My other question, is it possible to install this copy of leopard on the macbook. The macbook is not connected to the internet and will never be registered.

All help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Faffoo

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Yes

Yes its possible but it is illegal.

3. faffoo thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks

hi, thanks.

So is there anything special I would have to do to install iLife 09. And would you be able to explain why installing leopard again is illegal. This is nothing against you, I am just interested as to what it is apple dosnt like you doing?

Thanks
    Faffoo

4. pdjudd macrumors 601

Nothing special

[quopte]And would you be able to explain why installing leopard again is illegal. This is nothing against you, I am just interested as to what it is apple dosnt like you doing?

Thanks
    Faffoo[/quote]

You cannot legally install multiple copies of a single license product on multiple computers. That is software piracy, The only way leopard is licensed is:

1) Single computer
    2) Family pack - 3 installs in the same location.

While these licenses are not enforced, schools should not be involved with piracy. They get in big trouble.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Its 5 users actually ;).

6. coronel mustard macrumors member

coronel mustard

Agreed- Schools, or anyone for that matter, should not be involved in piracy. After all, correct me if i am wrong, but don't school get special educational discounts on apple products and software?