A Starkly Different Iron Man: Black, Female, and 15 Years Old

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by bradl, Jul 6, 2016.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

If Nerd Hath No Fury Like a Woman Thor, it will be interesting to see what happens when we have a new Iron Man (Man??).

Enjoy!

http://www.npr.org/sections/monkeys...ferent-iron-man-black-female-and-15-years-old

There's more to come on this.

BL.

2. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

Good for Marvel. It makes sense for there to be multiple Iron "Men" and there's no reason one of them can't be a young, black woman who's also a scientific prodigy.

3. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Exactly. I actually really liked the Thor run, so I will be interested in seeing what they do with this character. I would like see how or if they are going to use any of the character flaws of Ironman!?

4. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Interesting, but it's not like there haven't been multiple "Iron Men" before with characters like Iron Patriot and War Machine. Comics have to evolve if they want to stay relevant and appeal to a broader audience.

5. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I have no issue with characters being ret-conned to maintain relevance but turning over the Iron Man to a 15 year old female makes absolutely no sense, while Rhodes as Iron Man while Stark was a drunk makes far more sense.

And everyone knows this a pandering blip storyline because in the end comic fans will demand that Stark be Iron Man.

6. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

What will probably happen given Marvel's current habits, Stark will eventually suit up and there will be two Iron "Man"s as it were. And why ignore Rhodey? Me, I'll probably listen to Floor's "Iron Girl" if I ever decide to read this because that is what I think of when I look at her character, "Iron Girl". I have no problems with change if it's done to honor the characters who came before, but all this pandering has pushed me away (along with the more obnoxious price point, crappy art and storylines). Meanwhile, they still have no idea what to do with Bucky since Ed Brubaker bailed.

7. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I have no issue with Rhodes because his storyline highly suggested he was only going to be Iron Man temporarily. Stark wasn't going to be a drunk forever.

As a story it actually worked. Rhodes was an adult with a history with Stark, mature and a combat vet.

The story just worked. It worked so well that Rhodes has been with us for over 30 publication years, and is in several cartoons and films.

Furthermore, the Iron Man job is incredibly high risk. You can't turn that job over to a child.

8. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Funny you should say that.

My son and daughter got into Iron Man due to the show Iron Man: The Armored Adventures. In that show, Stark, Rhodes, and Potts are in high school, with an entire storyline built around him, Obadiah Stane (as an adult), Whitney Stane (also in high school), the Mandarin (also in high school), and Stark's father.

Coincidentally, my kids have been asking for it ever since they took the show off of Netflix.

BL.

9. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

You make good and very valid points, no argument there > but knowing Marvel they'll ignore such things and plow through anyway.

10. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I watch many of the marvel cartoons with my kids. However they aren't canonically true, and are outside the primary continuity Marvel 616 so they don't count.

Usually they are entertaining with just enough respect of the source material to not be annoying.

11. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

No argument there. They did (and do) have to tone down the violence in them, because you have to admit, they couldn't include the death of Stane in a kid's cartoon. Just wouldn't work well.

Similar to how they arced off Transformers: Rescue Bots from the current Transformers storyline.

BL.

12. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Marvel has been a lost cause for awhile now. I just tell myself Adam Warlock took all of 616 and encased it in the soul gen after Infinty Gauntlet and everything after has been in another multiverse. Especially if Bendis is involved.
    Good example. My kids love Rescuebots but it's unwatchable compared to the Gen 1 series from the 80s.

The tone of the 80s series was much darker. Especially Transformers: The Movie. The comic was quite brutal as well.

13. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

After the movie, Transformers got REALLY dark. They dealt more with death in the season after the movie than anytime in the run of the series. For a moment, every Transformer had died except Grimlock, who then found a way to revive them. but again, that season was completely floundering.

I haven't, nor won't show my kids Transformers: The Movie. Their 4 and 6 year old minds are not ready to see Optimus Prime die. Hell, it was that scene that got all the parents to complain so loudly from their kids crying over it that they forced Hasbro to come up with a way to bring him back.

But when they are 10 - 12 years old, yeah, they'll watch it (I was 11 - 12 when it came out), but right now, no. My daughter thinks that Transformers: Robots In Disguise (the one where Bumblebee is one of the leaders) is too dark and scary.

BL.

14. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

To be fair, Riri will be "Ironheart", just as Pepper is "Rescue" and Rhodey/Bethany were "War Machine".

The one who's taking the "Iron Man" name is this guy...

infamous-iron-man-concept-1-3c2b5.jpg

That's right, Victor von Doom will be Iron Man.

Stark's still going to be around, but after the events of Civil War II, he's going to be taking a break as a superhero and getting to know his birth mother and getting Stark Enterprises back on its feet.

15. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

Shrugs ^ back to their making villains heroes schtick I see. So not into this, but Iron Heart is a neat title for Riri.

16. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

It worked for Magneto.. I mean, he was the head of Xavier's School for Gifted Children.

BL.

17. 63dot, Oct 21, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2016

63dot macrumors 603

63dot

There were times when Spiderman was the most popular superhero. What drew readers to him was that he was a teenager, like his readers, and had girl issues like many a young man. He was someone you could look up to but also relate to.

Now Ironman as a teen girl could be very popular and relate to the audience better than a 45 year old Batman or similar superhero. Add some boyfriend issues, dealing with high school, and fighting crime secretly and you should have a winning formula.

Make her like Uma's character in Kill Bill using martial arts and other things to take down villains but keep her fully feminine. If she is the nerd type, have her retain a certain social awkwardness and never be able to woo the boy she likes. Have her successes in crime fighting be met with her failures in getting the guy. Never resolve the issue in just one movie, or TV season, and keep the fans coming back for more. How many years did Spidey try to even get a date with the girl? How long was it before the girl noticed him?
    --- Post Merged, Oct 21, 2016 ---

So she flies out of MIT and makes her first mission with a meeting the cops who try to arrest her. This is so Stark and maybe they will make her a rebellious type of superhero.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 21, 2016 ---
    I know they must be talking major big budget movie already, and my vote goes to Kylie Bunbury. OK, so maybe a 27 year old can't be cast as a teenager but she does show as a 20 year old in flashback scenes from TV show Pitch so it's somewhat plausible. She looks young enough.

Attached Files: