"A Tale of Two Crows"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sydde, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

It used to be simple. We knew who the Jim Crow laws applied to. Welcome to a new era of discrimination, brought to you by Charter Schools (your tax dollars funding exclusivity).

by Catherine Tanguis

As if the Stand Your Ground law and the current efforts to restrict voter registration hadn’t reminded us that discrimination is alive and well in the 21st century, Senator A.G. Crowe of Slidell, Louisiana introduced Senate Bill 217, that if passed, would reincarnate institutional segregation practices reminiscent of the Jim Crow era. The Louisiana Senate Committee advanced this bill, whicYh would prevent non-discrimination protections by any state entity beyond what is designated by state law, and it awaits final hearing.

On the surface, Senate Bill 217 almost appears as innocuous as Senator Crowe would like us to believe....

...Omitted from SB 217 are the broader anti-discrimination policies as defined by the Department of Education which protects children from being discriminated against, among other things, for sexual orientation, athletic ability, ability to speak English and mental or physical disability. ...

Testifying on behalf of the bill, Leslie Ellison, president of the board of a New Orleans charter school, bemoaned how difficult it has been to conform to the Department of Education’s anti-discrimination practices. In fact, she refused to sign a charter school contract with the state Department of Education, as it required her not to discriminate against gays and others, calling it an “unjust demand.”

Attempting to process the far-reaching implications of SB 217, Senator Murray also asked LSU law professor Randy Trahan during the hearing, “So you think charter schools should be able to discriminate based on sexual orientation?” Professor Trahan’s response was “I think they should, yes.”

That Senator Crowe does not believe that SB 217 has anything to do with children must come as a surprise to those who testified at the senate committee hearing. If witnesses as well as newspaper and television stations across Louisiana determine a sinister underbelly unbeknownst to Senator Crowe, perhaps he should withdraw it. Replace “sexual orientation” or “English-speaking” or “athletic ability” with “black” and we are back in the 1950s. The Jim Crow system was undergirded by doublespeak similar to those expressed by Louisiana Governor Jindal’s on SB 217: “We’re against discrimination, but we don’t believe in special protections or rights.”​

source

2. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Scary Thing #1: The far right has been beating the drums of "states' rights" so loudly that guys like Crowe, who normally would be afraid to crawl out of the woodwork, are apparently now comfortable with presenting their discriminatory ideas as if they were mainstream instead of extreme. (Shades of George Wallace.)

Scary Thing #2: The way things are going these days, if something like this made it's way to the Supreme Court, I'm not sure they'd strike it down.

4. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

I blame the 1950s White Nostalgia Craze that's apparently sweeping the country...

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The days when you could cheat on your wife and father a few bastards without anyone posting it on Facebook... the good old days.

6. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Out of curiosity, how would a charter school know that a child who was a minor was gay? Would they be allowed to discriminate solely based on their opinion that a child was gay? Would it be sufficient if the child dressed well, spoke differently, or even displayed a preference for members of the same sex?

Unless the child "came out" to the school, how on earth would they know.

Don't ask don't tell in our schools. Brilliant. :rolleyes:

(edit) Because, we all know how well that worked for the military. Not to mention the mental health of the students who conceal their feelings just to fit in.

7. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Maybe they would investigate using social media? I seriously wouldn't put it past some of these people.

8. Sydde thread starter macrumors 68020

Sydde

Well, I suppose they could interview each applicant child, presumably at the HS level because it might be difficult to clearly discern sexual orientation in a six or eight year old. Or maybe it would be up to the interviewer to assess "I think this child might be a queer, we should reject them, just in case." Which kind of renders DADT ineffective.

The really troubling issue, though, is the part about disability. Our public school system tries to give every child a the best shot they can at a good life. If all the public schools were replaced with charter, who would be willing to take on the extra expense of difficult students if they were all able to opt out? Maligned as it is, the public school system does an admirable job, I can envision no alternative scheme that would be likely to produce the comparable results being required to handle almost every child in the country.

9. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

And there it is. I imagine blatant bigotry and discrimination is going to be a lot more common as the religious right lashes out. "We're being persecuted!" :rolleyes:

I've said it before - as science discovers answers to more questions religion becomes increasingly irrelevant and this increases the denial and delusions. It's going to get a lot more divisive between "left" and "right".

I hadn't thought of it like that. What a depressing concept.