Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phreakout13

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 4, 2004
South Eastern MA
I recently found out that a sped teacher at my school (I never had her for any classes) faked having a rare form of cancer to make money off of school charities. Several fundraisers were held for her at the school, and when I ran cross country last fall, our coach even told us to think of how much main she's in to inspire us to run harder. Now it turns out she had made up the whole thing, and all the hospitals she said she was visiting are saying they've never heard of her. She ran off with $60,000, and as far as I've heard, she's nowhere to be found.
This isn't just some school rumor either. I refused to believe it until I heard from a reliable source, and lately, teachers have been telling us it was true, and it was mentioned on NBC news the other night. I just can't imagine someone could be horrible enough to take away money for personal use that could be going to people in need of it. It's sickening.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
That is just sicking in every conceivable way. I don't mean to wish any type of illness onto anyone, but it would be ironic if after this scam of fake cancer she really did get cancer one day.

I'm curious as to what the motive was behind the scam. Nothing I could think of could justify it though. There's nothing wrong with fundraisers, but faking cancer is just wrong :mad:

phreakout13

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 4, 2004
South Eastern MA
Eva01, I go to Dighton-Rehoboth High School. Dighton is a small town that borders Taunton and is right near Fall River. Rehoboth practically borders Providence, RI.

tech, I'll try to find more details, but as far as I know it's just greed.

XNine

macrumors 68040
phreakout13 said:
Eva01, I go to Dighton-Rehoboth High School. Dighton is a small town that borders Taunton and is right near Fall River. Rehoboth practically borders Providence, RI.

tech, I'll try to find more details, but as far as I know it's just greed.

You actually have a town named Taunton?! As in, the furry alien donkey things from Star Wars?

phreakout13

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 4, 2004
South Eastern MA
Onizuka said:
You actually have a town named Taunton?! As in, the furry alien donkey things from Star Wars?
I dunno, I've only seen the old Star Wars, but how many other ways ca you pronounce Taunton? It must be the same.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Onizuka said:

Massatwoshites doesn't, but Lil Rhody does. And no, the furry donkey is a Tauntaun.

Taunton is pronounced (at least in southern RI where I grew up) as "tawtun", with the second t being very soft, almost silent. More like "taw-Un", I guess.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
Onizuka said:

you should see some of the names of towns we have here, and how we pronounce them too ;)

Boston accent is wicked pissa

i have it wicked bad too, my fiance always laughs at me because of it T_T

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I think both RI and MA suffer from similar spelling/pronunciation mishaps... that with the heavy influence of Native American names provides plenty of amusment and mishap.

Greenwich RI is pronounced "Grin-itch"
Pawtucket RI is pronounced "Puhtuckit"

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2004
I cannot stand Boston accents. They annoy the heck out of me.

And whats with the stupid pronounciation of "r"s when there are no "r"s in the word:

word= how I say it/how ma people do
idea= eye-dea/eye-deer
benjamin= ben-jam-in/ben-jer-man
etc

How do you guys learn the alphabet up there

A
B
C
D
P
Q
AHHH (R)
S
T
U
V

I think any word that ends with an "a" sound is said with an r.

Move to CT. We don't have those ghastly dialects :) :)

"Pahhk the Cahh in the Yahhhd"

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
she is dumb. $60k? if you're going to defraud people you better do it for millions and make it possible to flee the country.

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
phreakout13 said:
Now it turns out she had made up the whole thing, and all the hospitals she said she was visiting are saying they've never heard of her. She ran off with $60,000, and as far as I've heard, she's nowhere to be found.

At least she won't wind up being named "Teacher of the Year." Unless they start introducing sub-categories ... "Teacher of the Year Who Perpetrated a Public Fraud."

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I hope she gets cancer and flesh-eating disease, and then she gets eaten by dogs piece by piece, and slowly. Sounds harsh, but I don't care.

jessica. said:
she is dumb. $60k? if you're going to defraud people you better do it for millions and make it possible to flee the country.

That's what I was thinking. :confused:

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
EJBasile said:
Move to CT. We don't have those ghastly dialects :) :)

C'mon out to Windham County (AKA "wannabe Rhode Island"). There's this horrid mixture of the old school Hartford accent and this thick, Providence/Boston accent. It blew my mind when I first moved out here!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.