A teen in MS-13 was detained at the border and held for years

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jun 18, 2017.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...ddbd8359dee_story.html?utm_term=.1169d627d282
    yeah that is AWESOME. :rolleyes:

need to close that loophole.

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

From your link:
    What's that thing you always say about indefinite detention without trial???

3. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

completely agree there, see the 2nd quote, here I'll bold it.
    why the HELL are we letting them in?

4. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

I don't get why the kid wasn't returned to the authorities in the country from whence he entered the USA illegally. I do find it shocking to lock somebody up without due process for 2.5 years but the end result of simply freeing the individual internally into the USA is not the correct course of action.

FWIW, I always thought an "undocumented minor" was a US citizen child without a passport. The implication of saying somebody is "undocumented" suggests they can right that state by becoming "documented". But that doesn't appear to be the case here.

5. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Thank you.

6. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Sessions screwed up the term during his visit to Nogales.

It's unaccompanied minor, or in US CBP parlance, Unaccompanied Alien Child.

Furthermore, it's important to note some details of the kid's story.

First, he left Honduras to escape MS-13 after he was beaten for refusing to kill a friend, whom the gang had turned on. He entered the country without authorization, but then presented himself to U.S. Border Patrol agents. And, after turning himself in, he was transported to a shelter in Chicago and during a conversation with his case worker, he said that he had belonged to the gang. Then, he was sent to a juvenile detention center where he was held for months despite having a valid asylum claim.

His mother and father are in the United States, so sending him back to Honduras is just handing him over to MS-13, who will likely kill him for being disloyal.

One of the things that's clear in the case, is that the Office of Refugee Resettlement dragged its heels, at one point, it took 17 months for the agency to respond to his mother's petition to have the boy released to her custody. They responded by denying her request, leaving the boy in juvenile detention.

This included an outright lie by ORR officials, who claimed that the boy had been convicted for assault and battery against staff. As the Judge noted, "At the time of that denial (November 4, 2016), there were charges pending against in O.G.L.S. in juvenile court, but he never was convicted and those charges were later dismissed in their entirety."

Quite frankly, ORR violated its own policies and the U.S. Constitution when it held this kid for 29 months.

7. HEK Suspended

HEK

Sad.....sad.....sad,situation. Why can't ICE, border patrol, courts, ORR officials in charge do any better than this. We sure do have big mouths about constitution, rights, fair treatment. But fall far short of the big mouth rhetoric. Power really does corrupt. Think about all the people that knew, and did nothing, said nothing. Zero honor, integrity, justice.

8. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

Why didn't he present himself to Mexican officials? I believe that is the country he entered the USA from.

Are his parents legal? I'm not saying send him back to Honduras, I'm saying he should be returned to Mexico as that's where he entered illegally from (I believe). What Mexico does next is not the USA's problem.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 18, 2017 ---
    I'm stuck with a lot of the rationale for how the USA treats illegals. Every other country generally enforces their immigration laws yet this country often looks the other way. When it does then it creates ambiguity that gives illegals hope when there should be none.

Deport them all who are illegal and do it consistently. Save the quotas for those who wait legally outside the country. Nobody likes a queue hopper.

9. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

He was trying to get to his mother, who resides in the United States.

The legal status of his parents is orthogonal. As for asking for asylum in Mexico, the UNHCR law generally requires people to ask for asylum or refugee status in the first safe country. Whether Mexico is a safe country for him is not clear-cut, especially in the south. Veracruz, a Mexican city, along the route for most migrants from Central America is a nightmare of corruption.

Arguably, he should have presented at a U.S. port of entry and demanded asylum, but the failure of a 14-year-old kid to understand asylum law should not be a predicate for rejecting his claim. Does he have a valid claim? Yes. Was he held in contravention of the U.S.C and ORR policy? Yes.

All else is chaff merely trying to confuse the issue.

There's no queue. That's just a dumb metaphor that fails to explain the current U.S. immigration system.

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Find his parents and reunite them and then start deportation.