A Texas pastor calls Democrats ‘godless’: ‘God will not bless America

sean000

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
https://www.star-telegram.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/bud-kennedy/article221829720.html

I suppose I am one of the godless liberals this pastor despises, but I know many Democratic voters who are far better Christians than he.

On a side note related to Texas and the Star-Telegram, I sure do miss Molly Ivins. I would have loved to read her take on the midterms, not to mention the 2016 election. Not all Texans are like this Pastor. She was a great Texan and a great American journalist.

Reactions: millerj123

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
Ah yes from the mouths of the leaders dedicated to spreading and preaching Jesus’ message of love and acceptance of all.

That’s the kind of social coerceion that has poisoned the the lessons and greater truths in many religions. Shame.

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
The pastor is on about sour grapes: God didn't pick the right side when he raised a hand to guide voters in the House elections?

Man these guys are such an embarrassment to their calling. And who knows what God thinks of the lot of them putting partisan politics in front of the word of Christ to the extent they excuse the behavior of the Trump administration in its crushing disregard for the rights and cares of ordinary people.

Ask this pastor what he thinks of some of those pernicious House bills passed by the 115th Congress, and he probably doesn't have a clue. Yet, he supports the GOP. And, Trump, the presumably redeemable sinner, is given a pass for now because by God the federal courts are set to be pegged way right for forty years or more under the pen of The Don.

Dear Pastor: what would Jesus think about rollbacks of worker safety rules? Drawing a blank there, buddy?

Mousse

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
What would Jesus do? Let's see, Matthew 18:6 and Luke 17:2. Tie a millstone around their necks and toss 'em in the sea.

I have had it up to my ear of all these so-called messengers of God claiming to speak for God when they preach contrary to his teachings. "Most of the time it's Give money to God's messenger.":rolleyes: But every now and again you get a nut job who say, "Vote [my party affiliation here] and God will love you." Wut!?:confused: Jesus taught that God's love is unconditional. He also taught you keep Church and State separate. Mark 12:17, "Give back to Ceasar that which is Ceasar's and to God that which is God's."

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Freedom of religion entails freedom from religion.
In some corners there is a problem with this idea, where some people think freedom of religion means I’m free to impose my belief on others or act prejudicially against others based on my belief. This highlights the importance of the Supreme Court where we have placed enough conservatives to subvert the concept of freedom of religion, ie the Hobby Lobby ruling.
[doublepost=1542724898][/doublepost]
I just find it absurd that the modern, Trump-led Republican Party constantly wraps itself in the Bible and the flag and yet they are the least Christian and least patriotic major US party in any of our lifetimes.
Apparently it’s very easy to keep the sheep fooled. The fact there is basically no cries of disgust coming from the Religious Right about Trump and his Beezlebub Administration, indicates they (supporters of supreme Leader) are just a bunch of poor lost souls.

Reactions: VulchR

Solomani

macrumors 68040
Sep 25, 2012
Alberto, Canado
I just find it absurd that the modern, Trump-led Republican Party constantly wraps itself in the Bible and the flag and yet they are the least Christian and least patriotic major US party in any of our lifetimes.
Well, at least the Trumpublicans are the most fiscally conservative political party ever! I mean, they wouldn't dare grow the national deficit one bit, would they?!

Reactions: Huntn