A thought on Hillary

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by blackfox, Jul 23, 2016.

1. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Nice post. I wonder what affect it has on the polls.

3. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Very good article. I've wondered if we could ever adopt an election system where the candidates identities are hidden and only their ideas are scrutinized and debated by the public. Similar to how contestants are chosen on the show 'the Voice'. This would minimize the effect of our own individual biases on race, gender, party affiliation, etc. and keep the focus on the underlying ideas rather than this constant game of character assassination and personality contests.

4. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

That's crazy. You need the whole picture. A persons history matters. Otherwise the day after Election Day the powers that be could put ANYONE in there and say "this is who you voted for. Enjoy".

5. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

No more or less than what that WikiLeaks stuff tries to suggest.

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If you look at the background of many of our earlier presidents before mass media came around so people could find out everything about their past most of the best ones wouldn't have made it past today's primaries. So maybe their history really doesn't matter as much as we think it does.

7. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Nope. It matters. It mattered then and it matters now.

8. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Excellent article.

Key quote:

One thing that continues to perplex me about 21st century American society is the depth - and vehemence - of outright misogyny in popular culture. The way it seems to be not just accepted, but actually championed, amongst people who really ought to know better. Look at Gamergate. Look at the vitriol directed towards the recent Ghostbusters movie.

I've long since lost track of the number of times we've seen Clark Kent, or Bruce Wayne, or Peter Parker recast and reimagined. But heaven forbid that somebody reimagine Peter Venkman and Egon Spengler as girls!

Let's be honest and say that while the 1984 Ivan Reitman film was pretty good, in the greater pantheon of American popular culture, its hardly sacred. And that thirty plus years later, I'm more than OK with remixing a so-so story in a different key. But this time with better CGI and a cast that is, all things considered, just as funny and a whole lot more diverse.

As it turns out, the most recent Ghostbusters movie is doing pretty well with both critics and at the box office. Haters gonna hate, but thats not going to keep talented women down.

So too with Hillary Clinton. And I think that more than a few of her most vociferous liberal and progressive critics ought to take a few minutes and check their privilege, and their misogyny.

9. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

I'm not suggesting that a person's history and background are irrelevant. But you should not need to know who the specific person is in order to make those judgements. That is the very definition of bias. All the history about each candidate could be generalized and made available to the public. This would eliminate the whole double standard where some people are given a free pass on something while others are crucified.

10. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

And so it begins. Any and all criticism of Hillary will be met with charges of sexism and misogyny.

12. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

From the article, worth quoting:

And

This last is very easy to believe. Everyone short of pre-millennials remembers very, very well the anti-Clinton smear machine, the greatest part of which was the infamous Arkansas Project.

I don't pretend to know all the ins and outs of when public officials can and can't sue for slander, but I think if Bill and Hillary had done it, they'd now be richer than Donald Trump.

Myself, I do think she's a corporatist and something of an opportunist (based on the way she tried to latch onto Bernie's progressive image), but do I think she's the serial liar Republicans make her out to be? No. That job is already taken by the Donald.

13. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

The article lacks credibility. Regarding HRC's emails, it falsely states that "the documents in question were not classified as secret at the time she received and/or sent them."

14. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

No. But just as with racism and Obama, that doesn't mean that these things are not a factor some of the time. There is a double standard for women. A guy sleeps around, he gets patted on the back. A women does it and she's slut shamed. Trump can yell into a mic for 70 minutes no big deal. If Hillary sounded like that she would be called shrill.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 23, 2016 ---
    Aaronvan...Just how has the DNC raped people of their votes? That is a real difficult case to make when the majority of voters voted for Hillary and even Bernie himself has endorsed her.

15. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

What did you expect? Any criticism of Obama = racist:rolleyes:

16. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

See my reply above ^^^^

17. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Democrats are still patting Bill Clinton on the back. In fact, they just endorsed his behavior by nominating Cankles.

Thanks to WikiLeaks, Bernie Bro's know how they were ****ed and will either stay home or vote for Jill Stein.

18. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

On Jill Stein....

• On her 2016 presidential campaign website, Jill Stein proposes working for peace and human rights: "Establish a foreign policy based on diplomacy, international law, and human rights. End the wars and drone attacks, cut military spending by at least 50% and close the 700+ foreign military bases that are turning our republic into a bankrupt empire. Stop U.S. support and arms sales to human rights abusers, and lead on global nuclear disarmament."[45]
    • On her 2012 presidential campaign website, Jill Stein recommended cutting the Pentagon budget by 50 percent, banning the use of drones, closing nearly 140 military bases abroad and signing the Ottawa Treaty, which prohibits the use of anti-personnel land mines
    - Source

Clueless. Most voters will still pick Clinton.

19. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Do people dislike it because women are in it? Or because maybe it's an inane remake that has hyped up misogyny from a small handful of twerps and exaggerated to actually draw in viewers who will then inflate the movie makers' ego? Most people I know of don't think the movie is all that great and don't give a **** who stars in it and usually loathe hollywood's sheer lack of inventiveness.

Also, is this guy anti-woman?

Maybe he'll respond to what WikiLeaks put out regarding the DNC manipulated... it's recent enough news, how can people have missed it? The MSM seems to have crowed enough about it.

20. 5684697 Suspended

The reprehensible aspect of the Clintons is that they enriched themselves by selling future influence through corporate speeches. Nothing else matters, ridiculously compensated speeches as a vessel to take money in exchange for favors.

How a progressive, fair minded person could support that is beyond me.

Everyone is voting this hear because the other party is worse, not because the candidates are desirable. They both suck badly. I'd rather see Pence vs Kaine.

21. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Yeah, good luck with that. Have fun.
    I'll have to have proof of that claim. Can you cite some? Show me exactly where Hillary has given a corporate speech and promised them something in return for it. Lay out your evidence.

22. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Apparently, for some people their paranoid delusions are all that matters as proof.

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I fully expected it. If Hillary wins, that will be the standard cry for 4 or 8 years.

24. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Source?

25. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

If I were in Hillary's shoes, I would sue the hell out of politicians (including Trump) and all the other talking heads making these sorts of slanderous comments with absolutely no proof. This is textbook defamation of character.