A thought on replacing 4S with 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by puma1552, Apr 20, 2013.

1. puma1552 macrumors 601

I've got a launch day 4S, and I love it.

I've been waiting for the 5S as part of the natural upgrade cycle.

My 4S still does everything it needs to, and I like the feel of it in my hand. Couple days ago it took a small 2 foot tumble on concrete, so it has a chip on the corner. Other than that, the camera shutter won't open. Apple wanted $80 to replace the camera, I declined since I figured I'd be selling soon to upgrade to the 5S.

Other than that, the battery is starting to show it's age, and I've started to experience a couple general hiccups with the device, as I notice these things seldom make it two full years without issue.

So I just got to thinking in the last five minutes, would it be possible to go get a new 4S from Apple for $200, then get a fresh, flawless device with a new lease on life, a new battery, a working camera, and then keep it beyond the upgrade and skip the 5S altogether?

I figure I could get a brand new (refurb) phone for not much, and not have to sign a new contract to upgrade, so it's kind of the best of both worlds. Obviously I could pay full price for a 5S, but I'm not dropping that kind of money on a phone.

Can I do that at Apple or does the phone have to be in worse shape/non functional?

2. iphone46 macrumors regular

They should do it no problem. You may want to say the phone freezes a lot too since you've dropped it(or just crack the front). When I took a 4S to get replaced due to the closed shutter issue, they made me pay the $199 fee :mad: .

Edit: Also, make sure the phone stays in one piece, they won't replaced modified phones or phones missing parts/in several pieces.

3. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

Think I could swap colors or no? I feel the answer is no but if I can spice it up, why not...

4. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, Apple doesn't allow you to switch colours.

5. CEmajr macrumors 601

Since your carrier charges you the same amount for service whether you upgrade to a subsidized device or not, why not use the $200 to upgrade to the 5S when it comes out, sell it for $600 and use that cash to get your 4S replaced by Apple. You come out with an extra $400.

For those on carriers that subsidize phones it's a total waste not use an available upgrade when the newest Iphone is available. Even if you don't want the device.

6. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

That's not a bad idea, but I'd have to renew my contract...if I'm gonna do that I'd definitely just keep the new phone.