A three-minute American horror film

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

This aired a week or two ago on Real Time. I think this illustrates well what is really wrong with America.

Please pay attention to Bill Maher's preface before complaining that the people in this video are not really representative of the south.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Why not include this one too? This aired the week after the one above.

3. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Oh. My. God.

And that's the flip side of what's wrong with America.

Someone needs to give all of these losers a swift kick in the ass and cut them off government assistance completely.

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Idiots and lazy people. There's no getting rid of them.

I still don't mind paying for their food stamps.

In the case of those Mississippians, I wouldn't mind paying for their dental work.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

None of this shocks me in the slightest. And the video may represent Mississippi but it doesn't represent all of the south.

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Not all the south.

But you're okay with it representing Mississippi. :rolleyes:

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No, I said it "may." Read the OP wherein he said something about it. :rolleyes:

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Mississippi has a population of 2,978,512, a majority of which are female (51.4%) ... so I don't think even "may" qualifies.

9. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

All right, poorly worded. I stand corrected. This obviously isn't representative of all Mississippi or all the south. But it is representative of attitudes all too prevalent there. If we accept that the Ms. Pelosi didn't seek out yahoos, then we have to at least be appalled that in speaking to a random sampling of Mississippians, she came across so much uneducated, racist b*******.

10. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

This isn't a partisan issue.

This is what happens when a first world country has significant populations that only have access to a third world education system.

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Look, I'm as liberal as it gets, so I don't mind seeing a few idiot conservatives exposed on Maher's show.

However, I am not going to buy this line that she didn't seek out yahoos.

They said she landed at an airport. The two international airports in Mississippi are in Jackson (pop. 539,005) and Gulfport-Biloxi. While Gulfport and Biloxi are not large cities, Jackson is (see photo below). Yet none of the footage depicts anything near cosmopolitan and instead focuses on shotgun shacks and a Walmart.

So please, let's not pretend that this is some kind of unbiased survey. This is a selected group edited down to the juiciest sound bites intended to paint Mississippians as ignorant conservatives ... which I'm sure many are.

But still. Let's take this with a big grain of salt. It's entertainment. That's all.

Attached Files:

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Theres no way those people were not cherry picked, I am sorry.

13. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'm sure they were, or at least I hope so

14. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Really? I've lived in Appalachia most of my 58 years, and IMO, it wouldn't that hard to duplicate the results virtually anywhere in Appalachia. Just set up a camera in the parking lot of a Wal-Mart...

That's because keeping the masses as poor and ignorant as possible maintains the status quo ante.

15. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Don't forget, other countries are adopting a US like system, despite all the hubub brought up by teachers and principals.

16. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Why would you setup in a store known to lure poor for low prices? Im sure they just randomly ended up in a junky house with a toothless man on welfare after jumping off a plane. Id love to see you duplicate these results in a metro area starbucks.

17. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

If you'd ever went to one of the Starbucks located in some of the "metro areas" of Appalachia, you'd probably suffer a serious case of culture shock...

18. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

But would such an area be typical of Mississippi?

19. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

There are only five "metro areas" in Mississippi (see map below). Only 42.0% of the state's total population lives in metro areas.

[​IMG]

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

To be more representative of Mississippi, of the eight people interviewed ...

• at least four of them should have been female
    • about three of them should have been black
    Other than that, it was spot on. :rolleyes:

21. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

I'd think most "man on the street interviews" would make no special effort to be representative (of much of anything). It's about going somewhere with a camera and holding impromptu conversations with whatever persons you happen to randomly encounter on the street. It's largely about spontaneity...

To obtain a truly representative makeup, you'd have to follow some sort of selective process, screening, pre-questioning, etc. and the "man on the street interviews" would quickly be turned into a very different type of interview.

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It's even worse when you drive to a specific location and then pretend it's a "random" encounter.

Kinda ruins the notion of "spontaneity".

23. eric/ Guest

eric/

It's sad that people like those portrayed in the video exist. And while their views aren't representative of everybody, maybe not even a significant portion of the population, it's still plain to see that we still have people with warped and dangerous viewpoints.

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

[borrowing from another thread]

What makes those viewpoints "dangerous"?

Shouldn't they have the "freedom" to those viewpoints?

[/borrowing from another thread]

25. eric/ Guest

eric/

Well I think it's self evident that believing you are entitled to something based on, well, nothing and disliking the president because he's a "half breed" are pretty dangerous and to put it bluntly, stupid things to think.

Yup. Absolutely. I've never stated anything to the contrary. What we have to do is educate these people and help them to understand how things work, and why racism is bad.