a ton of dust under my 3GS screen; should i bother bringing it in?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by evilgreg, Oct 20, 2010.

1. evilgreg macrumors regular

evilgreg

i love my 3GS to death, the thing is stable as a rock. one problem though-theres a very noticeable amount of dust that appeared under my screen one day.

should i bother bringing it into the genious bar? will they just take the screen off and wipe it down? im asking bc its a pain to restore and rejailbreak just to bring it in and have nothing really happen. would they swap out my phone for a new one?

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

personally I wouldn't worry about it, but it depends on which bothers you more, living with the dust there or having to restore and rejailbreak it.

3. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

If it's still under warranty just call Apple and they'll send you a replacement.

I work in the steel industry where dust is all around....and I've had Apple and my wireless carrier Rogers send me a replacement due to dust for my 3G and 3GS

Now that I have the iPhone 4 I think it's built more solid and there is much less chance of dust getting under the screen. CAN ANYONE CONFIRM THIS??

Also if you do get a replacement or just have the screen wiped down, there is plastic caps you can put in the two ports....head phone and charger port to block the openings so no chance of dust will get in your phone. I use them everyday and received them when I purchased my SwitchEasy Nude protective case.

Let us know what you decide and good luck!

4. viper3885 macrumors member

On the iPhone 4 the LCD panel is actually fused to the front glass like the original iPhone was, so there is no way that dust can get under the screen.

5. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

unless it's reletively new most Genius Bar employees will just give it back unless it effects performance of the touch pannel

6. evilgreg thread starter macrumors regular

evilgreg

Thanks for the responses. So if I call Apple what should I say to them that will make them send me the replacement phone? Will be be a refurb or a new phone or what? I'm kind of a perfectionist about my Apple toys and this dust just sucks.

7. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

OP if you are still on warranty w/ :apple: take it to the genius bar and they will try to clean it up for you or give you a replacement.

You are lucky since you are cheating the warranty system, because the dust was not accumulated under normal conditions ;) Buy an OtterBox or some other extreme protective cover so you don't get dust, because it will happen to you again w/ the iPhone4, might happen faster than w/ the 3GS you had.

8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It won't happen with the iPhone 4 as the screen is glued to the glass to prevent the dust issue (this is the same thing they did with the original iPhone).

If you're iPhone is under warranty still don't hesitate to take it into an Apple store. I had my 3G cleaned then a month later I brought it back in when there was more dust and even a hair under the screen. At that point the Genius took one look at it and gave me a shiny replacement (which I sold to fund my iPhone 4 :D).

9. pbateman macrumors 6502

What about for a 3G, out of warranty. Mine has some pretty big dust particles which are annoying. Anything that they would be able to do ( I understand I'd have to pay)? or pretty much out of luck..

10. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

This thread disagrees with you::eek:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=952308

11. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

there's always that chance of dust getting in there during production.

i have a piece under the glass as well, but it doesn't bother me yet. i'll get it replaced eventually but right now it's not that big of an issue.

my 3GS had loads of dust, but i didn't care (novelty value wore off :p )

12. mistertomlinson macrumors 6502

Just before I sold my 3GS to purchase the i4, I sent it in for a replacement for the same reason as you... and it's not JUST dust. It looks really bad. It drove me crazy. Trust me OP, you would have sent it back to. I set up my warranty service online and of course the drop boxes didn't have "dust under screen" as a choice so I just plugged in some random choices and explained in detail in the description box. They sent me a pristine refurb days later.

13. Stein357 macrumors 6502

I don't think this is true, when I had my 3GS replaced for the dust under the screen, the genius said it was a pretty common problem and didn't hesitate to replace it at all.