A ton of microscrathes on Stainless Steel after only a week!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by FrankySavvy, May 3, 2015.

1. FrankySavvy, May 3, 2015
    Last edited: May 3, 2015

FrankySavvy macrumors 65816

I have been babying my Apple Watch SS for just over a week now. I have only wiped it down with a micro-fiber cloth used for glasses and when I look under a desk lamp, the polished stainless steel is already full of micro scratches. It looks like I have been wearing the watch for a year. :confused:

Pics attached

Very bummed.

I guess it truly is like the SS on the back of an iPod. Can just imagine how dull the polished finish is gonna look in a year :(

Anyone else notice this on their SS? Its a beautiful watch, i really want a sapphire display too so the sport is kind of not an option :(

Attached Files:

2. CharlieCat666 macrumors regular

CharlieCat666

Those scratches are very easy to get rid of.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqb8LFt4MI0

3. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

Love those micro scratches. First few look bad but after awhile it looks nice :)

4. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

Yeah I need pics, because I have had my watch over a week and haven't really payed any attention to how I treat it. It's been covered in dirt, knocked into walls and desks, been rinsed off a couple times and wiped down with whatever I have handy and I can't for the life of me find any micro scratches on it.

5. FrankySavvy thread starter macrumors 65816

Posted pics now.

----------

tried that, on one side, didn't work well at all. scratches still there and they are even less visible then the scratches in the video.

6. ZeRoLiMiT macrumors 6502a

ZeRoLiMiT

7. Thraxis macrumors newbie

I think this would be a problem for any SS watch...I know it has for any non-laminated watch I've ever owned. One of the reasons I opted for the grossly expensive Sapphire screen. I'm constantly banging my wrist on something. I work with my hands a lot. At least you can polish SS easier than you could with the aluminum one.

8. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

9. Gooberton macrumors 65816

No pictures ?

10. FrankySavvy thread starter macrumors 65816

I thought so too, the polishing didn't work however. Not to discredit Dom from MacMixing but the Mag & Aluminum polish did nothing. :(

----------

[​IMG]

11. FrankySavvy thread starter macrumors 65816

Pics attached

Attached Files:

12. Thraxis macrumors newbie

The only way that these kinds of scratches can be avoided is to laminate the metal.

13. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

All my SS watches look like that... I understand you can have it professional buffed out, or there is something you can rub on with a rag that is supposed to help (I didn't watch the video link above... maybe that was covered).

But I've never bothered to try anything on my current watches as they are so cheap... not sure what I am going to do when my AW gets to look like them... I'll have to try something.

good luck sorting it out, let us know what works best.

14. webworks415 macrumors 6502

It's normal for stainless steel, just accept it or return for an aluminum one.

15. FrankySavvy thread starter macrumors 65816

Tried the method in the video, didn't work.

----------

I understand, just thought the steel on the Apple Watch would be more scratch resistant then the iPod. :(

----------

Sounds silly but made a Genius bar appointment to see what they consider normal.....

16. RianFlynn macrumors regular

I wonder if people who order the Watch edition are going to have the same issue.

17. FrankySavvy thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't know, probably, considering gold is softer then steel. Kind of bummed, will see what Apple says tomorrow.

18. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

Can you actually see those with your naked eye and no flash?

Also that looks nothing like the back of an original iPod.. my iPod looked terrible lol

19. LxTxNx macrumors 6502

LxTxNx

You guys do know stainless steel scratches easily right? :rolleyes:

20. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

What do you expect from polished stainless steel? It is completely 100% unavoidable to get those surface micro scratches. Even if you kept it in your pocket or under a sleeve the entire week it would probably have just as many. That's what happens to super shiny polished surfaces.

21. FrankySavvy thread starter macrumors 65816

I know I know, but after one week? What will it look like in a year? I thought about downgrading to the sport but I'm nervous about not having the sapphire display....ugh.

----------

Some of them.

22. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

You should be able to safely have it repolished two times a year. (every six months or so) It would never get to levels of the old SS back on the iPods.

23. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

I don't think these are such a big deal, but you might actually have caused them yourself by wiping the watch down with a microfiber cloth. Any tiny bits of grit that are on the cloth can cause scratches. For the record, though, mine appears to be completely pristine, and I got it on the 24th.

24. FrankySavvy thread starter macrumors 65816

hmm, well lets see what apple says, i also have the issue of the haptic feedback getting lighter then day one. If I do get a replacement, I won't be using the same microfiber rag. What are you wiping yours with?