Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Go get 'em boys & gals. Just snagged a 2.6 machine and I'll be returning my 2.3 to Best buy.

VDhightower

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2014
Just got the i7 2.6Ghz with base RAM! I can stop hitting refresh at the apple store now :)

Perfect timing as I was going to return the i7 2.3Ghz with base RAM I picked up at BestBuy 2 weeks ago (right after the 2014 announcement). Was worried I was taking a risk and might not find a refurb.

psymac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
2.6 all gone! Still others but not for long...

Why pay almost $100 for extra 4GB ram when 16GB for $140 at BB?

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
I wonder if the 2014 MM would have a 'Shipping in 7-10 days' like the riMac if Apple put a quad core Iris Pro in it.....

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I was about to jump on this but remembered I had a $200 Best Buy gift card I needed to use.

So I found the base 2012 model as an open box special at Best Buy (online) for $404.99.

I am going to replace a 2010 mini that has been working fine as a media server. Wanted to throw an SSD in it but would rather do that on a 2012 model.

Michael

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
$759 for the 2.3 server seems like a good deal (dual 1TB drives).

I'm gonna hold on to my 2011 for a bit longer and hold out for a 2nd gen retina iMac. :D

Larry-K

macrumors 68000
Jun 28, 2011
Just got the i7 2.6Ghz with base RAM! I can stop hitting refresh at the apple store now :)

Perfect timing as I was going to return the i7 2.3Ghz with base RAM I picked up at BestBuy 2 weeks ago (right after the 2014 announcement). Was worried I was taking a risk and might not find a refurb.
I just missed it, but congratulations!

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
US store all gone except for the
Refurbished Mac mini 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 with OS X Server

AnalyzeThis

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2007
Got base MD387LL/A for $449 at BB. I have $200 in gift cards and 10% off movers coupon. Maybe I would keep it. Still, could not convince myself to buy new 2014 one, mostly because of memory limitation in the base models. Unfortunately, base models are the ones most releasers would ever sell or more likely "not sell".

Although, it is old model but it pretty zippy, dead silent and price/performance you can not beat. Add $140 for 16GB RAM and 256GB SSD I already have - I kind of like it. At least, I could coast on it till Skylake is out. I cloned the HD to external SSD and now moving it to Yosemite on external SSD drive. Once I have decided to keep it, I would just swap the drives. I do not need any extra internal storage for my needs, single SSD is ok.

If Apple would come up with quad mini in the future, the 2012 quads will loose most of its resale value instantly. Dual cores are very inexpensive now, so I would think it is not going to be affected as much because of it is not competing with future quads. 2012 entry level mini competes with mid-range 2014, so the future should look bright until Broadwel or Skyline mini is released, if released.

Last edited:

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
Aaaaaand gone.

I'm thinking that a lot of these (at least the non-CTO configs) were display units being shipped back from all the retail stores. And possibly stocked units, although those would actually be new in-box.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Got base MD387LL/A for $449 at BB. I have $200 in gift cards and 10% off movers coupon. Maybe I would keep it. Still, could not convince myself to buy new 2014 one, mostly because of memory limitation in the base models. Unfortunately, base models are the ones most releasers would ever sell or more likely "not sell".

Although, it is old model but it pretty zippy, dead silent and price/performance you can not beat. Add $140 for 16GB RAM and 256GB SSD I already have - I kind of like it. At least, I could coast on it till Skylake is out. I cloned the HD to external SSD and now moving it to Yosemite on external SSD drive. Once I have decided to keep it, I would just swap the drives. I do not need any extra internal storage for my needs, single SSD is ok.

If Apple would come up with quad mini in the future, the 2012 quads will loose most of its resale value instantly. Dual cores are very inexpensive now, so I would think it is not going to be affected as much because of it is not competing with future quads. 2012 entry level mini competes with mid-range 2014, so the future should look bright until Broadwel or Skyline mini is released, if released.

Here's the thing, until Apple decides to spend the coin on designing a special quad logic board or flexes their muscle to convince Intel to make a special batch of chips for them (Intel has done this in the past - think the 1st gen MBA) you'll be waiting a very long time. There are no U-class quad core chips on the horizon...

AnalyzeThis

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2007
Here's the thing, until Apple decides to spend the coin on designing a special quad logic board or flexes their muscle to convince Intel to make a special batch of chips for them (Intel has done this in the past - think the 1st gen MBA) you'll be waiting a very long time. There are no U-class quad core chips on the horizon...
Agreed, folks who are waiting may wait for very long time, though, I am not waiting I got mind blowing al-cheapo highly upgradable mac-mini supporting all current, and many future OS releases. For quad workload, I have more powerful Windows Box and Hack that would leave 2012 quad mic-mini in the dust, even some nMP.
I think there are many different waiting strategies, mine does not preclude me from utilizing cost effective means until something would come up or not come up, either way I'm covered. Forking over 2 x times dough for quad is not cost effective for me at the moment. I would never thought I would be getting 2012 mac mini for < $200 after all the deductions I could not use anywhere but in BB. I am still in shock I paid > $900 for mac mini in 2005 and now I could not run anything newer but Lion. This is why I am very reluctant to give my money to Apple for their computers, unless it is a killer deal.

Last edited:

indychris

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Fort Wayne, IN
Got my notice and picked up a dual drive 2.3 for our church presentation/projection. Should be set for a while now.
mathews_thumbsup.gif

CyAnMan

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2012
Ya know, I don't seem to remember ever seeing such a large supply of refurbished products on the Apple store in its whole existence.

Not a good sign really. good of those with $$ to burn though :)

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
Thanks. Now I'm just waiting for the Dell 2713HM monitor to go on special at Dell Canada.

Canada Computers has them on sale right now for $699. Picked one up in Ottawa a couple of weeks ago... very happy with it.

Not sure if I'm allowed to post links.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.