A Trip to T-Mobile to Compare LTE Speeds with AT&T ends with my iPhone being Unlocked

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by willsoriano, Jun 29, 2013.

1. willsoriano macrumors member

I've been rather curious about my iPhone 5 LTE speeds for a while now and even more so when I saw the iTweakiOS.com carrier hacks saying they improved the transfers and all this other oh please! features.

So After I updated the carrier settings with the modified AT&T ipcc I wanted to see if I could really see a difference, which I didn't. it was just about the same. However, I was curious what the transfer rate would be while on a phone call. So I called up a customer service line (AT&T since they have the longest hold times :) ) and ran 10 consecutive times on the same server. My results were shocking I averaged out about 2.54 Mbps download. Now the Upload was the most shocking and obvious sign of there being something more than because I'm using the phone, with each test it was .06 Mbps up!

Obviously there had to be some throttling over my data while using voice simultaneously. However, I couldn't prove it since I don't have another iPhone 5 with a carrier. Then I remembered that hey T-Mobile's iPhones can do voice and data at the same time, lets take a drive down there and see if they have the same LTE speeds and furthermore if they match or exceed the transfer rate as my AT&T iPhone 5 has.

Long story short, T-mobile has a slightly faster LTE speed than AT&T in my area getting around 12-15 Mbps down and about 9 Mbps Up. But the real kicker is that after a slew of tests of using Voice and Data calling my AT&T phone from the T-Mobile phone and just pressing restart over and over.

T-Mobile around 5 Mbps Down 4 Mbps Up
    AT&T 2 Mbps Down .06 Mbps Up

There was some talking about iPhones and the T-Mobile service and I just asked to see what would happen if I put a T-Mobile Sim in my phone and all be damed, it registered the network, gave me LTE and the same results as the Offical T-Mobile phone.

In short, AT&T is screwing me with my data speeds, but gave me a wonderfully unlocked iPhone 5 instead.

Thank you for your time I just had to share that.

2. Ajones330 macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

When did you purchase your iPhone 5 from Att?

3. willsoriano thread starter macrumors member

Actually, I purchased it from Best Buy. However I just realized I did get a replacement from the Apple Store recently. But its always been my belief that they lock their phones when they hand it to you. Its looking like either a) the hacked carrier update for ATT allowed me to switch sims or Apple gave me an unlocked iPhone. I even did a system restore and I didn't get the message "congratulations, your iPhone has been unlocked"

4. Prime85 macrumors 6502a

Prime85

Sounds like number 2

5. willsoriano thread starter macrumors member

Well I suppose I'm lucky to have my phone unlocked. However, T-Mobile service is actually pretty bad.

6. CEmajr macrumors 601

AT&T throttles data speeds hard for users while on phone calls. It's pretty well known at this point. I tested it with an AT&T sim in my iPhone 5 and the download speeds were below 1mbps.

7. willsoriano thread starter macrumors member

It sucks they throttle me, however I'm going to attempt to utilize their ludicrous behavior for a discount on my bill today :). Wish me luck!

8. bniu macrumors 6502a

uh, not really, AT&T's LTE networks is data only. When you make a phone call, you drop off LTE and onto HSPA+ or "4G", which can be slow depending on your signal.

9. CEmajr macrumors 601

Uh yes really. I know it drops to HSPA+ when on a call. The HSPA speeds are throttled to almost Edge speeds. Do a speediest while on a call with AT&T and then do one while on a call using another GSM network such as Tmobile and see the difference.

10. willsoriano thread starter macrumors member

Case and point, see attached photo's

Both taken while in a call

Attached Files:

11. rockitdog macrumors 68020

Just so you know, that's blazing fast by Sprint's standards! :D

12. andywuc macrumors newbie

Well I suppose I'm lucky to have my phone unlocked.

13. willsoriano thread starter macrumors member

Well, I may not get the fastest speeds on AT&T but at least I'm not on sprint or verizon and can use data while on a call :)