A Trump campaign chair in Ohio says there was 'no racism' before Obama

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Robisan, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Robisan macrumors 6502

She seems smart...

A Trump campaign chair in Ohio says there was 'no racism' before Obama
    Kathy Miller called the Black Lives Matter movement ‘a stupid waste of time’ and said low African American voter turnout could be due to ‘the way they’re raised’

Donald Trump’s campaign chair in a prominent Ohio county has claimed there was “no racism” during the 1960s and said black people who have not succeeded over the past half-century only have themselves to blame.

Kathy Miller, who is white and chair of the Republican nominee’s campaign in Mahoning County, made the remarks during a taped interview with the Guardian’s Anywhere but Washington series of election videos.

“If you’re black and you haven’t been successful in the last 50 years, it’s your own fault. You’ve had every opportunity, it was given to you,” she said.

“You’ve had the same schools everybody else went to. You had benefits to go to college that white kids didn’t have. You had all the advantages and didn’t take advantage of it. It’s not our fault, certainly.”

Miller also called the Black Lives Matter movement “a stupid waste of time” and said lower voter turnout among African Americans could be related to “the way they’re raised”.

~~

Miller also dismissed the racial tensions of the 1960s, when she said she graduated from high school. “Growing up as a kid, there was no racism, believe me. We were just all kids going to school.”

Asked about segregation and the civil rights movement, she replied: “I never experienced it. I never saw that as anything.”

Miller added: “I don’t think there was any racism until Obama got elected. We never had problems like this ... Now, with the people with the guns, and shooting up neighborhoods, and not being responsible citizens, that’s a big change, and I think that’s the philosophy that Obama has perpetuated on America.”​

Full video of the stupid here.

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

The word "racist" has been so abused by the Left that it's become completely denatured and drained of all meaning. Thus, they had to develop a new label: "alt-right."

3. zin macrumors 6502

The Black Lives Matter movement is a waste of time. They were blocking airports here in the UK a few weeks ago, claiming that climate change is racist.

4. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Wow...she even talks like her orange Jesus. Also funny to say there was no racism before Obama and then proceed to be racist herself. Somewhere along the way, that kid just going to school turned into a person who wants to stereotype another race.

5. Robisan thread starter macrumors 6502

Funny, I thought about putting that "believe me" in bold in the OP quote. Great minds...

6. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Hmmm, the truth is in probably somewhere the middle and not as much due to race but other factors, especially after the inclusion of "Affirmative Action" (aka "positive discrimination" or "reverse discrimination", of which it's all still discrimination) - a system that has helped a lot more than it's hurt, but anyone saying it hasn't hurt isn't going to convince many. If unions are a thing of the past, so is any form of discrimination.

Since "communist" lefties around here told me some should pay obscene sums of money for college whereas others should get a free ride, maybe they can convince us all that those others who got financial opportunities that millions of others couldn't even begin to get at and rest assured, anyone needing loans or handouts are going to be nowhere near the "top 1%"... So maybe they should go to college campuses for a few weeks and actually bear witness to who plagiarizes from whom or who dictates others do their homework from them. People who help themselves need help more than the truly lazy/entitled. And skin color isn't a qualifier on that list. And those who fleece students are far more lazy, if you choose to think about it...

7. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

"Alt-right" is the White Nationalist movement attempting to rebrand itself.

8. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Hussein has reignited and stoked the kind of racism that existed decades ago. He took a reasonably civilized American culture and turned it upside down. He's fueled race wars and anti-cop tensions to the breaking point.

How tragic that this "American President" has intentionally destroyed all the good work of decades of prior administrations.

A very toxic legacy hangs on his mantle.

9. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

racist has been so denied by the right it is getting overused.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 22, 2016 ---
    yes he should have stopped being black.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Complete ********.

11. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

You expect a real follow up from him? Lol

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Of course not. Sometimes the ******** needs to be called out.

13. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Ya. I just gave up doing it though.

14. Robisan thread starter macrumors 6502

Really! How dare he be presidenting while black?!!?!!!

15. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Well there was, but we weren't having riots.

Whether it is correlated or not, I don't think race relations have gotten better under Obama. I think they have gotten worse.

16. appleisking macrumors 6502a

17. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

there were no riots in the 60s?

18. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

LOL Obama's 51% approval rating at the end of his second term suggests otherwise.

Hell it could be argued that Trump has done more to divide the country in his one year of running then Obama has in his almost 8 yrs as POTUS.

19. samiwas macrumors 65816

He did this simply by being elected. He didn't fuel anything. His mere existence in the white house was enough to send heads reeling in a certain segment of the country. Those are the people who fueled it. And you appear to be one of them.

20. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

winner winner chicken dinner. im having chicken for dinner right NOW actually so congrats for that also

21. Herdfan macrumors 6502

There were. But not nearly as many under Reagan, Bush, Clinton & Bush.

I am not necessarily blaming Obama as he can't control the expectations of a population. But for was a subset of blacks that thought he was going to fix everything and instead spent more effort on bring in Syrian refugees than helping fix problems in the black community.

22. sim667 macrumors 65816

Thats not quite right is it? They were blocking the airports saying the planned airport expansion was racist.

Whilst I don't support them, don't lie about their intent and purposes.

23. zin macrumors 6502

Nope, I saw it on their Twitter account.

And the correction you've just posted makes them sound even more unhinged.