A Trump Fan Just Hung Two Black Dummies From A Tree In His Front Yard

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, Oct 30, 2016.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

they look brown to me. so what's the big deal?

2. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

^^ Yeah you'd think we'd have got farther down the road from this by now. She is definitely rolling in her grave.

I'd have called 911 by now and demanded the cops come take that thing down. When they said no I'd be on the phone to the NAACP, the SPLC, the ACLU... and the Miami papers, and the homeowners association and the Miami District Attorney's office and anything else came to mind.

When we wait for people to string up white dummies...

3. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

Oh, Florida.... I may or may not be able to see Russia from my back yard however for sheer volume of this kind of stuff you never disappoint.

4. Zenithal macrumors 603

5. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

A scarecrow standing on a lawn is one thing... and the four candidates, why not, if they were just standing around. But this guy in the linked piece, wow.

Gotta love this:

says he took it down "immediately" when
    he thought about how bad it looked​

Right. Like while hanging up an effigy of anyone never mind the president, one does not consider how it will look to someone else. Or how it makes one look? He deserves to stay on that Secret Service's list!

6. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

I guarantee you no one would have said a word if those Halloween props were white...

7. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

This country, and that state in particular, doesn't have a history of lynching a lot of white people.

8. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

9. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Burlap bags over simulated heads, like how bags were used over real heads back when the gallows were popular.

The only way one can tell which purported skin color either of them is supposed to represent in effigy is the one with the red sports logo shirt. Otherwise it'd be down to pure imagination.

And that same figure has a red hat, maybe it was supposed to read "Make America Great Again" since, gasp and gadzooks, there really are black people who like Trump too...

But there's enough inference from the one mannequin to show genuine disdain. It's despicable.

And I too have a feeling that if they were made to be white that nobody could give a crap. Would such apathy be racist as well?
    --- Post Merged, Oct 31, 2016 ---
    Does it make the events any less relevant for when they do occur?

Whites were slaves back in the 1700s as well. But that's almost never brought up, oddly.

10. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Well hey, this guy hanged dummies. The ever so tolerant Liberals attacked a homeless woman.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

12. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

You got that right.

13. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

You're thinking of indentured servitude. That is not the same thing as slavery. Indentured servants were paying off a debt. They weren't born into this life, and they could go free as soon as their debt was paid. Moreover they did receive a few protections under the law. (Certainly their master wasn't allowed to "breed with" the women!)

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Could have sworn this was about someone hanging black figures from a tree.

15. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Just offering comparison in "deplorables".

16. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

I beg to differ. Estimates of lynchings in this country state more than 25% of all lynchings were white.

17. sim667 macrumors 65816

You want to see some of the effigies we have for Bonfire night.

[​IMG]

(Thats a naked David Cameron holding a pigs head btw).

18. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

That still means that the overwhelming majority were black. (Especially since blacks make up a smaller percentage of the total population)

19. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

Yes she was bumped and fell over after yelling racial slurs.

20. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Which doesn't change my point at all. There were an estimated 1200 whites lynched during the period where black lynchings were at their peak. Non trivial, and again, no outrage would have resulted from seeing white effigies in these Halloween props. Many would have applauded.

I'm not impressed by those who made a fuss over this Halloween display. Sorry.

I just read another story where a singer and her boyfriend dressed as a pilgrim and Native American and were slammed by "the Internet."

People who are this easily offended need to stay indoors and turn off all news sources.

It's getting quite reductions in America today - with all this false indignation.

21. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Nice to know that in your mind verbal insults deserve to be answered with violence.

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm not black so I don't know if the reactions to this count as "easily offend[ing]". What do you make of it, as I'm always interested in the opinions of groups who are targeted like this.

23. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I'm here to say you are mistaken. We have enough violence in the USA, we don't need to have Halloween "decorations" that include depiction of lynching anyone.

For those who think only African Americans have ever been lynched in the USA, wake up. The "rough justice" ethos in the US has not been quite that selective.

http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/shipp/lynchingsstate.html

Nearly 3,500 African Americans and 1,300 whites were lynched in the United States between 1882 and 1968, mostly from 1882 to 1920.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynching_in_the_United_States#Other_ethnicities

After their increased immigration to the U.S. in the late 19th century, Italian Americans in the South were recruited for laboring jobs. On March 14, 1891, 11 Italian immigrants were lynched in New Orleans, Louisiana for their alleged role in the murder of David Hennessy, an ethnic Irish New Orleans police chief.[31] This incident was one of the largest mass lynchings in U.S. history.[32] A total of twenty Italians were lynched during the 1890s. Although most lynchings of Italian Americans occurred in the South, Italians did not comprise a major portion of immigrants or of the population as a whole. Isolated lynchings of Italians also occurred in New York, Pennsylvania, and Colorado.

Particularly in the West, minorities such as Chinese and East Indian immigrants, Native Americans, and Mexicans were also lynching victims. The lynching of Mexicans and Mexican Americans in the Southwest was long overlooked in American history, when attention was focused on treatment of African Americans in the South. The Tuskegee Institute, which kept the most complete records, noted the victims as simply black or white. Mexican, Chinese, and Native American lynching victims were recorded as white.[33]

Researchers estimate 597 Mexicans were lynched between 1848 and 1928. Mexicans were lynched at a rate of 27.4 per 100,000 of population between 1880 and 1930. This statistic was second only to that of the African American community, which endured an average of 37.1 per 100,000 of population during that period. Between 1848 and 1879, Mexicans were lynched at an unprecedented rate of 473 per 100,000 of population.[34]