A TV Anchorwoman's Response to Being Called 'Fat'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bradl, Oct 3, 2012.

1. bradl, Oct 3, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012

bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

(Note: While this is a lighter story, the topic of bullying definitely is a social issue, so that's why I've posted it here in PRSI instead of up higher.)

As the Byline states, "Bully Creep", or "Erudite Takedown"? You decide.

Story
    First, I have to say 'Bravo' to Livingston. She handled this well, and made the issue of bullying more public and raised its awareness.

Second, I think she's cute. :)

Third, I think she's a beautiful person, inside and out.

EDIT: For those wanting to skip the read, here's her clip as it appeared on the news in La Crosse, WI:

BL.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I think the term bullying gets thrown around too easily. Regardless of whether or not I think the email was bullying, I think her commentary was spot on.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I don't think the email was bullying, however, it was way out of line. Good for Jennifer for slapping the emailer down.

4. SwiftLives, Oct 3, 2012

SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Interesting bit of trivia, but she's apparently Ron Livingston's sister.

And good for her. Everyone likes a good bully beatdown :)

----------

Just to expand and clarify - Everyone likes to see a victim of bullying assert themselves and strike back. One of my biggest regrets from my school years was letting bullies define my self-worth. It wasn't until my late 20s that I found my confidence. (And developed a rather large ego).

Confidence can be a very difficult thing to find. I like what Ms. Livingston had to say.

5. brentmore, Oct 3, 2012

brentmore macrumors 6502

brentmore

She made a lot of great points about treating people kindly, the impression you make on your kids, etc., but it seems as though she was addressing a totally different email message.

I don't see anything critical or of an offensive nature in that email at all. I understood it as: the author was disappointed that the anchorwoman didn't take better care of herself, being a public figure. Maybe she's unaware that it's part of her job, just as many pro athletes don't realize that acting like a buffoon can get them in hot water.

Perhaps I'm a little biased because I've worked in a field where physical fitness and appearance is part of the job. It would be unacceptable for my field's public figures, managers, and executives to do anything but promote a healthy lifestyle and have a fit appearance.

6. 184550 Guest

I agree that the email was not bullying.

Obnoxious? Yes. Sexist? Yes. Uncalled for? Yes. Stupid? Yes.

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

But they are supposed to be of the people. Are you going to bar 40% of the population from the public eye?

8. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I worked at a gym that was right next to a White Castle, we always used to find guilty crumbled up White Castle food packaging in our garbage cans. Lol

9. brentmore macrumors 6502

brentmore

The "our" refered to those in my line of work. I've changed the phrasing to be more clear.

Regarding the point I think you're trying to make: If 40% of people are overweight, as you claim, then I believe we do a disservice to place them in the public eye if they don't show efforts to improve themselves. We all go through problems in on form or another, which is why I think we all love stories about the down-and-out citizen who rises to fame through hard work. That's the type of role model I'd appreciate more. That's probably the email author's best point, though not very 'elegantly stated'.

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

While I also didn't find the email "bullying" in the common sense, I believe that if you are fat, and have heard variations on that theme time and time again, you become more sensitive to the subtext of aggression even when couched in a non-agressively phrased message. Bullying doesn't always have to involve physical domination.

I watched the video this morning, and kudos to her. I found her incredibly eloquent, even when discussing a very personal and sensitive subject.

11. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Good for her. The stupid bitch hiding behind her keyboard needs to learn how the world works.

Who's the better role model for kids?

A well-spoken news anchor with self-confidence who isn't fazed by someone trying to belittle her because of her appearance.

Or

A person judging someone else solely by their appearance and hiding behind a keyboard while doing it.

12. Richard8655 macrumors 6502

While I find the criticism overboard, this increasingly accepted view of "I am the way I am and accept it as that" is also not right.

This acceptance of obesity as a lifestyle choice is costing us our health, increasing everyone's medical bills, and subtly making unhealthy choices as socially acceptable. All in the name of politeness and political correctness. I guess everyone would rather see her keeping her honor than in a likely early death from obesity complications.

13. 184550 Guest

I think the ideal healthy lifestyle you allude to is one that is impossible given the genetic make up of humans.

A perfectly healthy 30 or 40 something that suddenly develops cancer is just as much a 'burden' as a 30 or 40 something who has been obese all their life.

14. Richard8655, Oct 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2012

Richard8655 macrumors 6502

Pretty straightforward. But I can summarize for you. You seem to say that a healthy lifestyle is impossible given the genetic makup of humans. This article is saying that obesity is a choice, and that making that choice will reduce life expectancy.

This is completely relevant to the point.

15. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

She is fat. She needs to stop being so sensitive and put the twinkies down.

16. citizenzen, Oct 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2012

citizenzen macrumors 65816

Genetics ... maybe.

But I think the biggest issue is that food, the marketing of it and its availability have overwhelmed people's ability to make prudent choices ... especially kids. And once those habits get ingrained and the scales tipped, it's hard to find the way back to a healthy weight. I doubt there's anyway to change this. Eating is commerce and we love free enterprise. Its really up to the individual to make wise choices. But how common is that?

17. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

Yeah, it's interesting how most people in the third world don't seem to have this genetic predisposition to get fat.

18. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

I seriously hope you are being sarcastic.. otherwise your comment is really uncalled for. Better yet, you should send her your comment, as I doubt you even have the fortitude to present herself to everyone over the airwaves with the confidence she has.

And we wonder what is wrong with people today and the lack of respect they have for others.

BL.

19. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Would she get the same sympathy if someone called her too skinny, and was worried how it would be perceived by young girls? Absolutely not.

Nobody treats any other type of addict with such caution, so why treat food addicts with caution?

I thought the email was a little bit too straight to the point, but was sincere and without cruel intent. If your going to be in the public spotlight, you have to atleast expect constructive criticism.

As hard as she worked to get a successful career in life, she should be able to put more emphasis on her weight/diet. Sympathy is not going to unclog her arteries.

SHE NEEDS TO PUT THEM BACON CHESSEBURGERS DOWN!!!!!

20. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

And just how the hell do you know that her weight gain is caused by eating? You have no evidence to show that she's eaten her way to this weight. Bloody hell, even having children causes weight gain, and that is a scientifically proven fact. You obviously have no clue as to what caused her gain, so immediately you accuse her of eating too much. And that is typical of people who verbally and psychologically bully those who are overweight.

You've proven her point completely, and quite honestly, if you have to resort to comments like this, you should really take a look at yourself in the mirror, as you definitely have some self-esteem issues if you have to justify yourself feeling better by trying to take someone else down.

BL.

21. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

100:1 odds that she eats too damn much and\or unhealthy fatty foods. Let's not play the "what if" game. NO ... She doesn't have any thyroid issue or any medical issue that leads to being fat. She just loves to eat. Tired of all the lame excuses, but yet I'm suppose to have sympathy.

If the email was outright making fun of her, then I understand. But this is not the case. It's just another fat girl who feels nobody can speak on an obvious issue that she has.

22. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

You sure as hell do not know of an medical condition that she may or may not have. You have no evidence to show that, and if you do, congratulations for violating HIPAA on this forum.

I think any respect that others may have held for you is dwindling away. Judge not, lest ye be judged, and all...

Again, the lack of respect you have for another individual who actually stuck up for herself and confronted the issue head on, in front of the public (the stations entire viewing area) saddens me. You have my pity.

BL.

23. StephenCampbell macrumors 65816

"Teach our children to be kind"..... ehh... I think we need to have a society that can speak openly to each other.

She's advocating a world of false political correctness, expanded even beyond what we already have.

If someone is fat, people should be allowed to say it to them. What good does it do anybody when a whale walks into the room, and everybody thinks "Wow, he/she is huge, and I know they know it, and they know that I know that they know it, but we're supposed to all pretend that there's nothing different about them."

24. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Ehhh maybe they do-they just don't have a dozen different fast food chains, 24 hour all you can eat buffets, vending machines. Nor do they all have cars, game consoles, high-spped internet etc. Uhh wait...

OTOH, to those that deny medical conditions that affect peopl's weight exist, I have two female friends who have a thyroid condition, One has hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid) and she loses weight easily, the other hypothyroidism (underactive) and she puts weight on very easily-both independent of diet.

25. jeremy h macrumors 6502

This video is doing the rounds here as well. First off - I don't think it was bullying - it was though, very unpleasant. (She should remember she might well have been a supermodel in 1600 though).

Clearly if you do actually just eat burgers and don't take any exercise then you'll get fat. But I'm convinced genetics plays a part. In my experience some people have to constantly fight their body shape to keep weight off others have got lucky and their weight hardly changes regardless.

Blimey, have you ever met any Ghanian or Nigerian women? I think the phrase used is 'traditionally built'. We've got a Ghanian pub down the road - the blokes are big but the women...