A Very Interesting Article about Facebook

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Wired published a very interesting article about Facebook titled "Inside the Two Years that Shook Facebook and the World".

It's non-partisan, very detailed, and it discusses the election, Russian meddling, and Facebook.

It's amazing how much goes on behind what we see in a large corporation and how dysfunctional they can be at times.

2. samcraig macrumors P6

Thanks for posting. Interesting in deed.

3. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

sitting on a beach watching a DC simulation ...
    Still need to finish it but it is a very interesting read.

4. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Let me guess had Hillary won the election nobody would be writing articles like this. I find it amusing that people on the Left think filter bubbles and echo chambers only exist on the Right.

5. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Yup, the whole “muh democraceeeeeee!!!!!” tripe is just Democrat sour grapes. They can’t believe that their gurl lost to Donald Trump(!) and are looking for scapegoats, just human nature at work.

6. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Good read.
    Personally I dropped Facebook a few years back after I found out the damage it could do to a persons background and credibility in the event of a new job or a background check for any reason (like security clearance). Haven't found a reason to take another look.

I really wonder what FB will do going forward. My kids and most friends are on FB and get a lot of information from there, right or wrong. Zuckerberg has a dragon by the tail.

7. BeeGood, Feb 12, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018

BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I need to finish reading it as well, but the tone that I get is that, for the past two years, Zuckerberg has been truly trying to make his company “better” from some sort of social responsibility point of view.

He’s a far more intelligent guy than I am, but I think he’s just wrong about what his company is. Facebook is just a collection of people’s online personas, so it’s inherently a warped sense of reality. It’s not the algorithms, or poor management, or disgruntled employees who leak information that are the problem. The problem is that Facebook itself will never represent true, authentic social connections and information sharing.

8. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 604

Plutonius

I found the article to be non-partisan.

You are correct though that some of the stuff might not have happened at Facebook itself if Hillary won.

In the end though, it's a story about managing a large media company with a diverse customer base and how the managers differ on what the company should be.

9. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Read it. Gave it a bit of time to settle. Read it again.
    My big takeaway: Zuckerberg developed something that evolved in directions he didn't anticipate and it took a bit for both he and a good portion of his team to realize just what they ended up with.
    Wonder where it is heading next.

10. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Maybe it wasn’t overly partisan but make no mistake Wired is a left of center publication. Had Hillary won the election no way would tgey care about clickbait on Facebook. People see what they want to see, hear what they want to hear and believe what they want to believe. Nobody is going to change that. Certainly not Congress or Mark Zuckerberg.