Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sabenth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2003
UK
Ok guys didnt know what to put this in but thought it would amuse some people.

I went to my local libary in melbourne australia the other day to find some info out about the mac history you know find out what i am switching to. well low and behold did they have anything not a thing they had plenty on windows but not a thing on mac so i went to the counter asked if they had anything in the back or some place nice woman typed a few things and hey presto she looks at me and kind of snigers and says and i quote

"Dear me seems that the mac comunity is dead it seems that apple is no longer trading none of the libarys have anything on record for macs" end quote I first of all felt sure that there was plenty of reading matrial around in book stores so the libary should be well up to date. second the fact that the nice woman said to my face apple was no longer trading Sorry . You mean i am not going to get a new power book 17inch with lazer cut keys and back lit keyboard and that the store in the city really sells out of date stock oh my god...... I was supprised at this so left and as soon as I had vacated the area burst into a mass fit of laughter I couldnt bring myself to tell her that apple is still trading and by my own judgment no one elses is developing the more stable more user friendly computer systems in the wrold also the best looking..

This comes from the croydon libary in melbourne australia who reacently had there computer systems updated to windows....

Comments :

The libary needs to get its head out of its backside and wake up.

Jaykay

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2002
Ireland
well seeing that 90% of all computers being run at the moment are on windows does it surprise you that most of the material is about that.

Also why would a librarian know anything about companies or the like, is she not just a librarian?

And for lots of mac history try Apple History or do a search in google, there is a lot of stuff to go through, but i like the bit about NeXT.

Sabenth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2003
UK
The main reason i was looking for books was because I was just passing though... Ideas came to me went in had a look found nothing went and asked and low and behold I get that spewed all on me.. I have to state i know that 90% of the world uses windows i am one of that percent at the moment but because i am switching as soon as i can make my mind up on what i want . Then all will be fine i was just looking for basic stuff somthing to read at night it didnt need to be anything to special just the usual history sort of stuff and thanks to jaykay I now have all the info in the world........ screw the libary.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Thax for the info, now I know Australia is very similar to Venezuela.

In my school the books are in a locked shell!!! We can only read the side of them and imagine what they say.:rolleyes:

awulf

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2002
South Australia
If you buy a Mac Laptop take it to the library and stick it in her face and say 'Your terminal looks dead now'.

The Mount Barker Library in South Australia has plenty of books on Mac's, and our school library also has a few books on Mac's plus the Australian Macworld magazines.

Most people in Australia are Anti-mac and worship Bill Gates as a God. And want apple to burn in hell :mad: I just feel like taking out an LC II and hitting them over the head with it.

One thing that is weird is that the PC's at school get vandalised while the Mac's don't.

Sabenth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2003
UK
awulf i am with you on this its a bit daft that i can find books for windows granted its 90% on world computers but macs are around the company is in fine shape as far as i can see and i havent got a complaint againts them mind you i dont own one just yet and i havent had the privlige of abusing one i mean using one yet but hell at least i want a change these dull boxes they call pcs are starting rub me up........

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by Jaykay
well seeing that 90% of all computers being run at the moment are on windows does it surprise you that most of the material is about that.

Not to start an argument simply educate. Windows is NOT on 90% of all computers. That is what they would have you believe. You have to factor in servers and supercomputers and all other forms of computers. It's closer to around %83. I know, I know it's not that big a difference but when you are talking about approximately 288Million computers it becomes a big difference. Just for the record of the 288Million again approximately 32 Million of them are Apples.

The market share numbers every one points out every year are the ones for new sales for the current year. They are not for the current installed base. Since there seems to be more PCs thrown out then Macs every year (by percentage of sold) in the long run the Apple installed base will be larger then the current sales lead one to believe.

Sabenth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2003
UK
running down those figures it suddenly dawned on me yep 83% sounds right as a current windows user and have always been windows based dont ask why answer money.. but now that i think of it ive spent so much cash on a standard pc that well hmm macs are the new light of my horizon ...

i sense imense tention brewing over whos got what when were and how . simpley putting it windows and mac are 2 diffrent things and there is more windows based stuff because everyone can afford a box with or with out a name that says pc on the other hand not every one can afford a nice stylish looking box with an apple on it ............... SOON SOOON MY PRITTY VERY SOON!!!

you may notice ive wandered of the subject altogether now!!!!

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
I went to my community's public library a week ago, and I was stunned by how many Mac books they had! Granted in the computer section (2 sections of bookshelves) there were 2 shelves of Mac books. But considering Barnes and Noble's in my town barely has one shelf of Mac books, I thought it was impressive.

Sounds to me that you have a Librarian who bun is pinned in too tight!

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Ignorance runs deep, even here in the states people have no idea about apple and if they do they think it is still windows! Amazing how many stupid people are in the world or maybe i should just say ignorant! They have been forced fed Wintels and thats all they know. To bad for them, lucky for me i did a little research when i got my first machine and have used mac ever since.

kenkooler

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2002
Mexico City
Good to know that in my school, even though the Mac population is ~.5%, they have both Windows and Mac versions of Lotus Notes, Norton and lots of Mac books and all MacWorld magazines of the last years...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.