A vicar teaches his congregation a lesson about "acceptance"... and hypocrisy

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by BoyBach, Jul 11, 2008.

1. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_east/7497411.stm

Tramp Vicar.jpg Vicar.jpg

What a bunch of hypocrites.

2. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I wonder if the size of the town makes a difference in how people react to outsiders. Being significantly smaller than Newport or London, I expect that people are more wary of those they do not know. I have seen that for myself when I travel through the non-hospitality sections of smaller towns.

Should the people have been kinder to the guy? Sure. But, what has the community's history been with vagrants and those who appear to be so? What has the history of the church been in relation to the community? I imagine that he wouldn't have done this if something serious had happened recently, but you never know.

Regardless, the people could have been kinder. But, that's the reason people should have been going to church - to see how they can become better.

3. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Hats off to the vicar for thinking on his feet and getting himself out of trouble.

4. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

One of my favorite Genesis songs is about this very thing, "Another Nice Day In Paradise". Interestingly, it also is set in GB. How many of us, have been guilty of the same thing **I am raising my hand**. This is double troubling for me. I know better.

The republicans (in general, I hasten to add) look at the working class this way. We should have much more empathy for the poor and downtrodden, than we do. However, this is a personal matter, and you really cannot tell someone to do something, which they must feel inside.

5. remmy macrumors 6502a

After living in London for a while I have mixed feelings. I have talked to a few on the tube. But those around Tooting tube station are really aggressive, one once through a bottle at my girlfriend for no reason.

6. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Vicars can behave really terribly at times but you shouldn't judge them all based on a few isolated bad experiences.

7. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Im not really sure if it is isolated to republicans, as much as it is tied to a persons social and economic background. Ive seen more than my share of both D's and R's that come from more privleged and affluent backgrounds look down at the working class. I have also seen my share of D's and R's that come from less affluent backgrounds, and than do well later in life treat the working classes better.....

8. djellison macrumors 68020

I was sat right behind a homeless guy once - he was propped up against the window of a fast food place. I could see right into his begging hat thing.

In 30 minutes, he netted £12, at 6.30pm, mid-week, and he was a rude and unpleasent kind of guy.*

I figure 5 hours a day, 5 days a week, 4 weeks annual leave - he's on £28k a year, tax free. That makes him better off than I am.

;)

*that bit's accurate. The maths thereafter is just hand-waving.

9. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I think "The republicans (in general, I hasten to add) look at the working class this way", is a pretty clear qualifier for this being a 'general' observation. And, there are some (D)'s who are closet (R)'s, or have little personal conviction for social issues.

These are my observations, and I stand by them. I would be shocked if every member shared the exact same observations, vis-à-vis drew the same conclusion.

10. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I saw this on the BBC website and loved it. I think it's lovely way of getting his congregation to re-examine themselves and their beliefs.

As he knows well, just because you're christian and go to church regularly, it doesn't make you better than anyone else.

I used to be homeless, and thanks to some grit, some hard work, and I have to say, a couple of lucky jumps, I now have a lovely partner, a job, a child, and live in a nice flat. Sometimes I give money to homeless people, and sometimes I don't.

As one worker who works with homeless people told me, it's usually poor people who give money to homeless. It's more rare to see rich people giving money. (still happens, just more rare)

11. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Back when I went (was dragged) to church our married vicar suddenly deserted his wife and went off to live with a woman from the congregation. It is such Christian principles I am trying to uphold whenever I urinate on the homeless.

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'm always amazed when those who claim most to be religious do little that actually has anything to do with their faith. Even with a relatively good preacher who tries to teach them. Bad enough we see so many people hide behind their faith to justify otherwise disgusting things, like homophobia or racism, but even those who should know better who aren't just pretending, who really believe themselves to be good, as in this case, Christians acting completely against what their faith teaches.

How many times have we seen things that can be construed as survival of the fittest being pushed by someone who calls themselves Christian, oblivious to the fact that it's in direct opposition to what Jesus taught?

13. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Perhaps more amazing is believing that because someone pigeonholes themselves into a currently available religion they cease to have human inclinations.