A Victory for the Gay Community

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bobber205, Dec 12, 2009.

1. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

2. Kenzembo1 macrumors 6502

It's nice to see some progress being made in this county for once!

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Not that much of a victory. We still can't get married. We are still second class citizens. I'm not trying to downplay this, but Houston is a big city, and this isn't that surprising. Maybe I'm just feeling pessimistic.

4. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

It's certainly a step in the right direction, though.

This reminds me, I saw this a little earlier today, found it pretty funny:

Attached Files:

5. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Deuteronomy was obviously a dude.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ahhh, one treads well on the line between sensitivity and ridiculousness.

Mmm, so there were only 152,000 ballots cast in a city of 2.2M for the mayoral race? Is that a typo, or is that correct? One hopes 1.5M was meant instead of 152,000.... :eek:

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The number sounds about right. It was a runoff election, and those typically have lower voter turnout, plus, that 2.2M people includes children and others who aren't registered voters.

8. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

It was also a run off election between two Democrats - many of the voters were happy with either one or did not have a member of their party to vote for so they did not take the time to vote again (this was a run off from a month ago - many had voted two times on this race already).

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Pff, whatever. The mayor in my city has been gay for 7 years.

Edit: He's been mayor for 7 years. He was gay way before that. :p

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Was he straight 8 years ago? ;)

11. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

Gay mayor? That's it? Feh! big deal I voted twice for senator Patty Murry in Washington state.

12. andrew upstairs macrumors 6502

This is a milestone, considering where it happened.

13. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

there I fixed it for ya LOL

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

In Houston? Not really.

15. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

In some ways it is a good thing but other ways it is a bad thing. She got a lot of votes for no other reason than she is gay. That and this will always be a shadow of her policy that she is gay

I feel that which sex someone chooses to sleep with should haveb zero baring on what type of political leader they will be. Their personal live should not matter in there job.

I will say that I hope the people voted based on her policies and not that she was gay. I know the ads that I did see both canidates run none of the stated anything about her being gay and they both had mud slinging in them. I live in a suburb of houston so I paid little attention to it and did not care that she was gay nor did I know about she being gay until it hit the press a gay mayor was elected.

16. andrew upstairs macrumors 6502

It's predominantly conservative, is it not? That's been my experience. I've never lived there, but my parents have been there for 15 years, and I have many friends there. I used to visit often, but it's been a few years. Perhaps it's changed. It's no Austin, anyway. I do realize it has a fairly sizable gay community.

17. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

What's the connection between a gay mayor and Patty-can't-keep-Boeing-in-WA-Murray?

Not to take this too OT, but why exactly would you want to trumpet voting for her just recently? :confused:

18. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Indeed, I have always heard that there are only two things that come from Texas, so the odds were pretty good to begin with.

19. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

Texas is predominantly conservative - Houston no - not at all. Houston has had Democrats for Mayors for something like the last 6 Mayors. They voted for Obama, Kerry and Gore in the presidential elections.

20. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    "and you don't look much like a steer to me!" haha. yeah, the only good Kubrick movie.

an old co-wolrker of mine moved to Houston and he says it's pretty similar to Denver. Not as conservative as you'd think.

21. andrew upstairs macrumors 6502

Oh, OK. Thanks for clarifying. :)

22. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

Patty Murray is openly gay and has been for her entire career gay politicians are no big deal these days--just ask the log cabin republicans.

As much as you'd like to think politicians can control companies it was ultimately Boeings decision to leave the state they were a company owned by stock holders not owned by the feds--it's not any politicians job to force a business to stay someplace it does not want to be. And up until the past two administrations large companies failed or boomed based on their own management tactics, but now with government bailouts we are beginning to blur those lines separating corporations from government. I find the trend disturbing since it can create a co-dependecy.

23. PolySciSurfer macrumors 6502

I was pretty amazed this happened in Texas. Are they not part of the "bible belt?" Anyway, as a Californian, I can't tell you guys how disappointed I've been not only in my state, but in the entire country. This is the Jim Crow laws all over again, and I wish these ***** Christians would shut up already. Equal rights yesterday, today, and tomorrow. You have my support for life, I love you all very much, and I promise you there are a lot of people here in California fighting for your rights. Best wishes. ;)

24. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Victory will come when thread titles like this one are no longer used.

25. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

I don't see how being gay equates to being black here--are there separate drinking fountains? separate schools? are gays not allowed to vote? did they bring gays over on ships sell them at auctions to decorate the plantation houses? If you talked with a lisp did the bus drivers make them sit at the back of the bus? did gays get chained up and whipped...scratch that one (sorry some do--whatever gets your kicks is fine by me I say).

Sure things aren't equal I'll agree there but you cannot properly equate experiences so universally. Asian German and Italian immigrants had their own hardships (internment camps for the duration of WWII), Blacks Jews and Irish had their own shared hardships (long histories of enslavement), the indigenous people of America had their own hardships (nearly being wiped out by European settlement).

Yes, gays haven't gotten everything some others have, but that culture hasn't had it anywhere near as bad to compare this struggle with Jim crow laws. Two issues exist for the gay community concerning government; the right to marriage, and the right to serve in the military which anyone has or should have the right to.

Any other issues are not the concern of the state--if some asshat is burning a cross on your lawn they are not definitely representative of the government they are committing an act of vandalism, if some preacher is quoting the evils of homosexuality that's a religious matter not a legal one, outlawing hate doesn't make it go away so easily. It is best the gay community concentrate on the two issues that are within the states power rather than worrying about making laws to change how people think.