A Vote is a Terrible Thing to Waste

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Another interview from Jill Stein. In it, she claims that Trump is going to lose so there is no need for people to waste their vote on a "corporate democrat who will betray you".

After reading the interview, do you think she has any good points or is just pandering for votes.

(Disclaimer: My opinion since @twietee will probably ask :) ) Both Hillary and Trump advocate completely different policies. My opinion always has been that a vote for a third party candidate is a waste and that you should vote for either Hillary of Trump. One of the two will be elected so you should vote for the best of the two.

2. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

If Trump wins at this point it will be because people think it's now impossible for him to win so they'll stay home. I doubt it possible now. The media has spent the last six months campaigning for his opponent.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

4. cube macrumors G5

I don't know much about her. Is there an acceptable third party candidate?

5. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Any candidate is acceptable to the voter that casts the ballot.

6. cube macrumors G5

Which still does not answer the question that lots of people struggle to find an acceptable candidate to them this time.

7. MarkusL macrumors 6502

That's nothing! Trump has spent 30 years campaigning against himself.

8. Snoopy4, Oct 16, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2016

Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Not this cycle. I think the GOP will fire their leadership, but this may have been a stroke of genius. If they pushed Trump out in the primary, he runs as a third party and sheds enough that the GOP loses. They keep him and he implodes. They still lose, but he can never run again, which is pretty much what's happening. Had he not imploded, maybe he wins. No harm no foul. Hillary is a one term deal if she doesn't end up in jail over pay to play, she's corrupt and everyone knows it. Even the left. Kaine is an emasculated wuss, so he's no threat. I see nothing on the left that says future. The only thing they have is the fake BLM movement and nothing else.

Hillary is literally running without a real platform. Her platform is literally: "he's worse".

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Screw third party, is there any acceptable candidate.

10. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Like Hillary then.

11. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 603

Plutonius

I agree but did you disagree with everything she said in the interview ?

12. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Not one on my ballot. May be different in other states, but I doubt it.

13. Tmelon macrumors 6502a

I hope people who are considering staying home on Election Day realize that there's more on the ballot than just the President. Senators, Governors and various amendments in your state will likely have more of an immediate effect on your life than whoever wins the Presidency.

14. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

There are always more important issues than the two idiots at the top.

15. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

3rd Part, Fictional write-ins, Protest votes all equal a waste of a vote. Talk to us about 3rd party when they can win some local elections, can actually draw in candidates that are border line special needs and supporters that aren't moon bat anything for weed voters.

16. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Typically I subscribe to the notion that voting third-party is good for the long-term, as it raises awareness of the party and secures more access to public campaign funds to that party. All in all, even if the party doesn't win, getting the votes is important as it is baby steps towards breaking apart the 2-party deadlock.

For this campaign, I will digress from my usual course. I will pinch my nose and vote for Hillary, and I hope all other liberal and optimistic folks do to. It's important that Trump has as low of a popular vote percentage as possible, so ensure his whines about rigged election and cheating are dismissed as soon as possible.

17. cube macrumors G5

Well, it looks like a local candidate might win in Utah.

18. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Sweet 1 for 50.

19. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I disagree about 3rd party votes being a waste of a vote. That WWF 'rassler who became Governor of Minnesota showed it is possible for a 3rd Party to win a major election. If only those who have had enough of Trump and Clinton would get off their donkeys and get to the ballot boxes, we could have real change for a change.

20. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I hate to pop everyones baloon but your votes dont really count anyways. You get to "choose" between two pretty awful candidates, neither whom have any idea what regular people struggle with day to day. They are pampered, spoiled brats that have never worked a day in their lives. No poiticians have. This little "illlusion" they perpetrate that makes the common folk feel good and that they're "making a difference" is a joke. People on election day are so silly - "Yeahhhh... I voted. I matter." Right. Yeah, you matter. Go get 'em, Skippy.....

Please.

21. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I would agree with you for this election if the two options for 3rd party weren't twiddle dee and twiddle dumb.

22. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

The problem is he was a complete cluster ****.

23. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Wow....you better majorly rethink that comment and take it back. It is completely untrue. There are military vets who have come back home and served as politicians.

Seriously...you tell me that this guy has never done any work in his life:

And how pampered do you think Tammy Duckworth is when she worked as a waitress, joined the military and got her legs blown off?

24. MarkusL macrumors 6502

Trump and his fans like people who don't get their legs blown off.

25. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Sadly that is something I can totally picture Trump saying. :(