A way to Stop iTunes 9 from embedding Album artwork(Cover art) in Every Track?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Quad5Ny, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Is there a way to stop iTunes from embedding artwork into every file(track), and instead store 1 copy per album?

From what I remember thats the way cover flow used to work. Why the switch to embedding artwork in every file? A extra 20+MB per album is just ridiculous(Using a 800x800 PNG).

I know its possible to store the album artwork without embedding it in the file. Because I have a few older albums that still use the old method (storing only a single copy of the artwork in /iTunes/Album Artwork/).

2. Quad5Ny thread starter macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Ok by messing around some it seems it is possible.

When you right click on a track and choose "Get Album Artwork" it only adds one copy of the album cover to "iTunes/Album Artwork", but if you add your own JPG/PNG cover artwork then it embeds it into all the files.

Now I have to figure out a creative way to use that information. =\

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Actually, you can manually add artwork to just the first song of an album, and it will still display properly in iTunes. If you have different artwork or no artwork in the subsequent tracks of an album, it will still only display the artwork of the first track with artwork in it.

4. Quad5Ny thread starter macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Awesome, thats actually a good idea, and will save me a couple hundred MB of space. Thanks :D