A week in and I think I prefer the 5 to the 6....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Smeaton1724, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Smeaton1724, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014

Smeaton1724 macrumors 6502a

Smeaton1724

Managed to store reserve an iPhone 6 128GB for the 30th, picked up and was happy for around a week, but in the last 2 days I've just had a change of mind.

The more I use it the more I think I prefer the tapering and square nature of the iPhone 4/4s/5/5s (owned 4, 4s and 5). The camera not being flush is also slightly annoying as I did occasionally rock the iPhone 5 without a case.

So far I've taken the view that the design was so similar for 4 years that this year was bound to take some getting used to, especially the size! For storage it's amazing and it's not size making it difficult, I can happily use it with one hand, it's just a size departure from the usual iPhone size (trying to make sense but probably rambling!).

What's everyone else's view, return or persevere ?!

2. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

You aren't happy with it, you should return it.

That being said, I've rocked my 6+ naked since day one and the camera sticking out has not bothered me..

3. TheDoubler55 macrumors 6502

TheDoubler55

Yea if you dont like it return it, but I have a 6+ I think it is absolutely beautiful, phone is great! Best phone Apple has made yet, in my honest opinion.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Have the 6 in an Apple leather case. Camera is flush with the case, so doesn't rock. I prefer the rounded edges to the square edges of 4-5s. Thinner shape makes it easier to slip in and out of pockets. I never used my iPhones one-handed, so the larger size doesn't bother me. And using zoomed mode, the text is so much easier to read than on the 5s. So personally, I am very happy with the 6. Feels like a natural next step up from the 5/5s.

5. Smeaton1724 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Smeaton1724

The 6+ is an acquired taste! It would probably replace the iPhone 6 and ipad 4 all in one go but surely look silly in bars and clubs?! One thing that kills it for me is it wouldn't fit in motorcycle leather jacket pocket.

6. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

For sure Apples best iPhone ever. I think the iPhone I was most excited about though was the 5.

7. Smeaton1724 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Smeaton1724

For me the most excited was the 4, new design and retina screen.

I think that's largely down to my indecision over the 6, the design is so different to what came before it!

8. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Ya the 4 was awesome. Actually, so was the 3G. I think this might be the first time an iPhone hasn't made me all excited with butterflies in my stomach.:eek:

9. Robert1-1 macrumors member

I recall having had the iPhone 3g and 3gs which had rounded edges and convex back that when I got the 4 I wasn't sure I really cared for it. It wasn't as comfortable to hold IMO, but you get used to it. Now they're back to the rounded edges again, lol. I wouldn't let the form factor alone dissuade me, you'll get used to it. And honestly you may find over time you prefer the rounded edges.

10. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Another one of these 5 > 6 snowflake threads...

11. amytxoxo macrumors newbie

I'm also having doubts about my 6 and considering switching back to my 5. For some reason I haven't really bonded with the 6, even though I thought I wanted a bigger screen :/ I also have small hands and it's hard for me to use it one-handed.

12. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

After a week of using the 6 Plus, I even thought of returning it and going back to my S5. but the 6 Plus has won me over. I really like the design. Of course minus the camera sticking out.

13. FoxD macrumors 6502

I had the 6 and after 14 days I decided to go back to the 5s. It was easier to one hand it. Well, that lasted about one day, the screen was just so small and not nearly as vibrant as the 6. My wife has the 6+ so I tried it for 3 days and was really surprised how much I liked it. It's like an iPad mini. :)

I have a 6+ now and cannot imagine going back to the small text and screen on the 5. I never thought I would say that either!

14. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Those are YOUR thoughts and opinion and I disagree with every single one of them.

15. pish6969 macrumors regular

Haha.."snowflake threads"

Perfect name..

16. Smeaton1724 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Smeaton1724

Well clearly they are my thoughts I wrote them. I like how you disagree that an iPhone 6+ fits in MY jacket pocket....how would you know?! :p

17. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Well I happen to ride a motorcycle and have multiple leather jackets. My 6 Plus fits perfectly in their pockets. Sure, it doesn't fit in yours but your entire post was generalizing as if everybody has the same experience. That's what I disagreed about.

18. Smeaton1724, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014

Smeaton1724 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Smeaton1724

The problem with creating a thread like this one is I know I'll get people that will defend the iPhone or their purchase no matter what, those people can't resist commenting!

I was more seeking encouragement that the doubts I have may go away, seeing as a whole batch of users (those purchasing 19-26) some will have gone through a similar emotion! Seems a few have crept in and so have a few oddballs, mentioning the iPhone 6+ when the thread isn't even about that release. It's about previous design to current 5-6, not 6+, all that screen and resolution and still get lost in the wrong thread..... :p

----------

Use of the letter "I" throughout my post and 'me' in subsequent posts, isn't a generalisation in any way. Use of the word 'generally', 'most people', 'users' etc would be generalisations. Learn the use of English language on that huge screen of yours.

19. neteng101 macrumors 65816

I decided to persevere - the whole world is moving to bigger phones, might as well get used to it. Not so sure if we'll see another iPhone the size of the 5, and even if we do, it will likely have downgraded internals.

The 6 still feels just a bit too big, the 5s was too small for me. A 4.3-4.5 inch screen might have been the better way to retain the trademark one handed ease of use that previous iPhones 5 and below all had.

20. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

The only problem here is that you didn't take 5 seconds to search for the other 15 posts stating the exact same thing you did. This is not new information. I don't care what phone you choose.

21. Smeaton1724 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Smeaton1724

My headline was clear, why come in to the thread?! You knew when you came into the thread you were bored by the topic, why come in, you realise what a stupid waste of time that is on your part. Your thought process must be 'I don't like that, oh I'll click on it anyway'. Bizarre.

FYI, I read them and wanted to create my own, a lot of those were launch week, when buyers remorse is at its peak, this is more about getting on with the design aesthetic and it growing on you over a few days.

22. jvette macrumors 6502

jvette

You tell em!! I will never understand why you have to respond to a thread you have no interest in and then tell everyone to do the search or how dumb you are.

I have to agree that the Iphone 6 is not a earth shattering experience. The 5s is a great phone and with IOS 8 it is as good as the 6. Lots of Apple hype to sell phones. Don't get me wrong I like the 6 but after using is for a couple of weeks I just don't see the big deal.

23. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Exactly because you used the letter "I" in that entire post I boldfaced. And you can keep your petty insults to yourself. :rolleyes:

24. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

I'm sharing my opinion: this is a stupid post. Much like you are sharing yours: I'm really insightful and the 5/5S is great.

25. ttmrn macrumors regular

what's with all the hate.

FYI, the last i knew, Apple didnt stop selling the iPhone 5S.

[just incase some people don't get it, i meant it's still relevant]