A Well Regulated Militia

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Peace, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Can someone...Anyone ....That understands English please define
    A .. Militia

Who is this Militia

and

B... Well Regulated

Who does the regulating

Thank you

Hopefully someone here will understand English

2. daflake macrumors 6502a

3. blackfox Suspended

blackfox

4. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Actually, many states still maintain an official militia. In some states they are referred to as State Guard (like in NY), others are State Defense Force (like it used to be in AL), or Military Reserve (CA and OH). These are directly under the governors of the state and cannot be federalized - that's what the National Guard is for, and part of the reason states need local guards.

I was an active member (commissioned by the governor) for about 10 years here in AL. When our ALNG was deployed, we maintained the armories. We were the ones who stepped in for disaster recovery after hurricanes and tornadoes because the NG was deployed.

5. OriginalAppleGuy macrumors 6502a

OriginalAppleGuy

If you read the article, you'd understand the definition of militia as our founders intended. It's not "just" state national guards. It's individuals.

6. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

Good answer; and using that reasoning, the arms the said militia would be allowed to bear would be muzzle-loading black power muskets.

7. blackfox Suspended

blackfox

I honestly don't follow...The National Guard (both under State and Federal jurisdiction) are a direct consequence/natural evolution of the original Militia groups from Colonial times through independence carrying on till today. They are actually members of the "militia of the United States". I'm not sure how more clear-cut it could be.

8. sim667 macrumors 65816

[​IMG]

9. daflake macrumors 6502a

Well, if the founders wanted that to be the case, they would have added that line in. However, they did not and simply stated that we have a right to "bear arms". Nice try though...

10. kawalerzysta macrumors regular

kawalerzysta

1. The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.
    The classes of the militia are—
    - the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and
    - the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.
    So basically every male aged 17-45 is member of Militia be it organized or unorganized as well as female members of National Guard.
    2. Regulated back in day when 2a was written meant well equipped/trained.

11. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502a

Bug-Creator

-> you should only be able to buy guns after intensive training

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

that is not how rights work.

13. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

No mention of muzzle-loading black power muskets in the Constitution. They said "Arms"

Apparently not clear cut enough. You don't have to be in the National Guard to be in a militia. It considers anyone outside the National Guard & Naval militia to be an unorganized militia.

The founding fathers based on the Constitution in times of national crisis allows citizens using their own firearms to form militias.

14. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

please find "muskets" in the Constitution.

15. BernyMac macrumors regular

BernyMac

It's right there next to the "quill and ink".
    --- Post Merged, Apr 8, 2019 ---
    Be careful now...with some of the "logic" we are following, they might conclude that we already have god-given arms, complete with fingers.

16. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Your militia is running somewhat short :).

17. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

It seems like some people forget about this part of those 27 words "the right of the people".

However, let's see how our founding fathers described militia.

“I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.” – George Mason

18. blackfox Suspended

blackfox

The original question posited is what is a militia and what constitutes it being well-regulated. I believe the National Guard is a perfect answer factually. A pertinent point being that w/o the "well regulated" part, a militia is no different than an armed mob. It is odd that some who so cling to the sanctity of the Founding Fathers judgement and the Constitution are also so antagonistic to Government. Yeah, there's some pretty big problems to tackle there. Yet, engage in fixing the Republic instead of considering armed revolt options.

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

1. the people are the militia
    2 in good working order.
    3 the founding fathers had just got done overthrowing the govt they had.
    4 we try come election day, there will be a day where voting from the roof tops will be required.

20. blackfox Suspended

blackfox

1. Well, yeah. that's in the definition. 2. expound. 3. Not when militias were formed, and that Government was not a Representative Democracy like we subsequently implemented, so 4. That seems both naive, lazy and overly cynical. ( I must apologize, my return key is broken due to a coffee spill, so I would normally format this better)

21. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

sitting on a beach watching a DC simulation ...
    Good OP question and unfortunately the same ol' "you don't need dem guns" rhetoric. :rolleyes:

22. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

2 back then was keep powder dry and good working gun, today would be a good working gun enough ammo.
    3. militias were formed long before they took on the British, you forget they also defended themselves against the natives.
    4. naive yes, politicians do as they wish once elected. lazy? well I am at work so there is only so much I can do; and cynical ? have you seen out GOVT in action?

23. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Let's see what our founding fathers says it is.

“I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.” – George Mason

“The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” – Samuel Adams

24. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yep, and using that line of reasoning freedom of the speech does not pertain to the internet, tv, radio, etc.