A Whole New Kind of Mental Health Parity ... Purple Heart and PTSD

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mkrishnan, Jan 8, 2009.

1. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/08/us/08purple.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=purple heart&st=cse

I personally don't even like the term mental health, because I think it implies a ridiculous dichotomy between the mind and the body. PTSD causes hippocampal atrophy... the hippocampus, as far as I am concerned, is part of the body. PTSD and brain injuries are challenging to diagnose, but so are many other diseases, and that makes them no less legitimate.

On the other hand, I don't really understand a lot about the Army's culture or the idea of the Purple Heart, other than that it represents high valor in service of the country. So for this specific issue, I don't have extremely strong opinions. I guess I would think that perhaps PTSD Purple Heart claims ought to be considered on a case-by-case basis as a test case.... On the other hand, if a soldier sustains a brain injury, e.g. due to blast trauma, I see no reason why that should be considered any different from any other kind of physical injury....

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Maybe they could have one of these instead...
    [​IMG]

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Hmm...yeah, I don't know. I can see both sides. I think my cousin may have it. He's been very much not right since he got back, according to my aunt. He's become quiet and kind of anti-social, I guess. Which stinks, because he was always a very gregarious type of guy.