A whole new version of Buyer's Remorse

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Endorphine88, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Endorphine88 macrumors regular

Endorphine88

I experience this almost every time I walk out of an Apple store with a product (or in my usual case multiple products) in a bag. I never regret buying anything, but more so have instant anxiety that whatever I bought will be replaced a newer, cooler, more powerful, sleeker version of itself in no time.
    It's crazy how quickly something becomes obsolete nowadays and I think this is amped up to a degree with Apple stuff. Anyone else in the same boat as me?

2. chscag macrumors 68030

chscag

I think it happens to all of us in some way. You spend $2K or more on that new Mac and then start thinking that Apple will release a new and better one than what you just bought. It's even more evident when purchasing an iPhone because we know Apple will soon announce a later model. I've learned to live with it but in the back of my mind there's always going to be a bit of "buyer's remorse". :(

3. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

I think it was worse several years back when there was the potential for larger leaps in technology and/or design
    Things have pretty much stabilized with computers, phones, tablets, etc.
    The likelihood there will be significant changes beyond incrementally faster, lighter, thinner, etc. is smaller these days
    People seem to be holding on to their gear longer because the lure of the upgrade is less

4. Endorphine88 thread starter macrumors regular

Endorphine88

That's true too, but I rememeber when I got my first iPad and nowhere in my mind did I even have space for anticipating something like the current iPad Pro.
    I am "fearful" of whatever they're gonna come up with for watch S4. I just bought my S3 and thankfully resisted the urge to buy the ceramic one, but I know even if they just make the screen a little bigger on the 4, I'm gonna crash my car to get to the store to get it when it comes out!

5. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

SomeTimes I think paying too much attention to tech sites can instill the reader to be to cautionary about rumors and when to make purchases. Most consumers likely just upgrade whenever they feel like it, but those who are more tech oriented and pay more attention to tech media, seemingly are Frugile and cautious of when they make their Purchases.

6. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68030

Mr_Brightside_@

They are essentially updated once per year, if that. Not much to worry about.

7. Darmok N Jalad macrumors 65816

Darmok N Jalad

Personally, the thrill of a new device just doesn't have the same excitement as purchases from years ago. I still have fond memories of my first really powerful graphics card, the Radeon HD 3870.

I think there's also a large dose of "decision fatigue" in our lives, where we have so many valid options at our disposal that our brains can't handle it. Whatever we just decided to buy, we almost certainly have regrets because we question if what we just got was "the right choice." Best I can say is, carefully plan your purchase (try to have guidelines for when to purchase), and then try not to look back!

8. Denmac1 macrumors 6502a

Denmac1

Great post. Really says a lot. I remember when i went from my Apple IIe to my Performa. OMG! Color and everything else with it.
    The last 'thrilling' device I purchased was my iPhone SE. Besides price, the form factor was perfect for me.
    Prior to that, I had purchased the 2012 Mac Mini. That was in 2014, as I had a gut feeling that Apple would cripple the next generation. Still have it and it's going strong today.
    With that said, I had always, for some reason, wanted to have an Apple laptop. Once again, seeing the direction they were going, I purchased a refurb 2015 rMBP as it had all the ports that I felt were necessary for my use. IMHO, best decision I could have made. Price was right, I got a processor upgrade based on what was available in the refurb store, which gave me an additional $200 in product.
    There are many of us here on the forum that know, and anticipate what Apple is going to do. With that, we base our purchasing decisions to accommodate what we might think may be our future needs.
    I would love to have an updated Mac Mini, however, I fear that even though they keep it in the line up as a gateway unit , it will not be what many of us need for a 'desktop'. So, at least if my Mini craps out, I can still use my rMBP with my current monitor and still retain my Apple ecosystem.
    So, as i pay the Apple tax, to remain and retain what I have already invested in, I will keep myself apprised of what I need to do to future proof for software upgrades. ( I'm at Sierra now....waiting to see if HS finally stabilizes. May just stay there...just because it works!)

9. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

They are just tools to be bought and used and replaced as needed. No need for any fanfare remorse or overthinking.

10. Krayzkat macrumors 6502a

Krayzkat

You make your problem worse by hanging about tech forums where rumours of the next best thing etc are always being peddled. If you want to enjoy your tech without worrying that it might be outdated shortly, simply stop going to this site.

Edit: it’s kinda like reading the spoilers to the next season of your favourite tv show.

11. kschendel macrumors 6502a

I think you might want to be more circumspect about how you define "obsolete" for yourself.

If you take it to mean "not the latest, greatest, flashiest, fastest" then you are always going to be looking over your shoulder. If you take it to mean "no longer performs the functions I need it to perform", I think you'll feel better about most of your purchases. For example, I run an early 2009 iMac (upgraded with memory/SSD) and a 2009 (4,1) Mac Pro (flashed to 5,1, upgraded CPU and SSD). Neither is "obsolete" since both do what I need them to do, as fast as I need them to do it. Would I like a brand new iMac for office and a full-zoot hackintosh for development work? sure, and if someone hands me the cash I'll do it, but I don't yet need them badly enough to lay out the money.

12. SkyLinx macrumors member

SkyLinx

I bought an iMac less than two weeks ago and I felt that way soon after :p I was scared to buy now because in a few months there might be a newer one... but we can't just always postpone purchases for this reason when we need this stuff...

13. Endorphine88 thread starter macrumors regular

Endorphine88

That's what happened to me with my current Pro. My old Air technically works fine, but this new computer just blows it out of this planet. But now I know they're probably gonna unveil new Pros this year and if they add anything I desperately want I'll be screwed.

14. Foxglove9 macrumors 68000

Foxglove9

I used to always feel like that, but the past few years it's been the opposite. The tech has changed so little year to year on computers, smart phones, and other home electronics I really don't feel like my item is outdated when something new comes out to replace it anymore. This is a good thing for me, I think!

15. Seoras macrumors 6502

Seoras

No. For me it's about the price/years ratio. I buy new Apple kit rarely and use them for as long as I can.
    I apply the "false economics" principal to all my purchases. That being "buy the best and get the most out of it".
    I tend to get a minimum of 3 years out of my iPhones which I usually pass on or sell.
    Mac's are better, they hold value incredibly well and because the PC's aren't getting much better (Moore's law has ended) they aren't as quickly outdated any more.
    For example, last year I got the new iMac, top spec-ed and packed with memory replacing my my trusty old 2012 Mac Mini which I sold for about 60% of what I'd paid for it new.
    Now if I take the years I used it divided into what I paid for it minus what I sold it for then I get a seriously impressive cost per year (don't forget all the free software updates it got over those years).
    Newer and cooler be damned. It's just a tool.

16. Starfia macrumors 6502

Starfia

I feel that way a little, of course – but I care more about buying a loyal device that will serve me well for as many years as possible. Now and then a big change will come (like your favourite type of Mac getting a Retina display for the first time); things like that can be worth the patience before a purchase. But otherwise I think it's better to go ahead and still be excited about the advancements occurring around you.

17. smirking macrumors 65816

smirking

That is very true for me.

Once I make the purchase, I consider it a sunk cost. Worrying about it won't change anything and I've most likely already burned too much time coming to a decision so I'd be throwing good money after bad if I let an iffy decision continue to consume me. Since I work freelance, time really is money and I have every motivation in the world to just get on with life.

18. kokako macrumors regular

Apple gear is great but keeping up with the Jones’s is going to keep you renting, driving a less then cool car. Never enough money in your pocket, save man save! I’ll upgrade my iphone every year that’s it, except with the X which coming from a plus feels too small in my hand. I’ll use the 7plus until the xplus.
    The older you get the wiser you get and you realize that buying this stuff is all about filling a void, anxiety blah blah there’s an underlying issue fanboys have and it’s not just a passion for Apple which I have, it’s a sadness, i’d Also bet that big city life has a lot to do with you and everyone visiting this site daily buying so much Apple gear, I lived in London for a long time and New York i was escape shopping too for Apple gear, since i’ve been out of that trap and living in a nice quieter sunny town with beaches and the great outdoors i dont, no more do I have to live in an apartment (hell on earth for everyone) I don’t care how many square feet, you can never relax in that unnatural environment. but if you’re in that environment get out of it because that’s why you’re obsessing and buying Apple stuff every year, you’re bored ******** and your life is unfulfilled.
    I live in a home with its own door not shared apartment style entrance, no one above me, no one below, a driveway, this possible because I stopped being an Apple subscriber buying on every upgrade and became a quiet fan content with what I already have and using the sh it out of it so those tools paid for themselves, no point buying creative Apple tools if you’re not going to create, to quote shatner “ get lives people” love Apple but don’t obsess because that’s a really sad life to live, if you upgrade every year then you’re a subscriber which is how i think of it isn’t a a cheap Netflix subscription, that new iPhone, new IPad new watch subscription is costing you upwards of 500+ a month every year. Reclaim your lives people. Get rich or get comfortable, mortgage free and then buy your Apple tools every year but before then don’t trap yourselves.

19. Nbd1790 macrumors member

I wouldn't be too concerned about new products. They come out every year. The truth is, they're not coming out with anything revolutionary anymore. Aside from the addition of USB-C ports and Face ID - there hasn't been much. I have a 2013 MBP Pro and a 2016 tbMBP (both 15 inch) that are fully specced out and run almost exactly the same in terms of speed. One has the "future" USB and the older has the traditional legacy ports. That's about it.

Just bought my mother a MBA from the Best Buy sale ($1249 w/ i7 8gb Ram 512 SSD) which is basically outdated tech in terms of whats available now - but again, I can hardly see a difference in performance compared to a regular macbook or entry level 13 inch pro (aside from the retina screen of course) which would be accompanied by a price tag of $2k+

They do an excellent job of making you want the latest and greatest and I have to admit that I'm guilty of new product envy. I often regret upgrading every few years or so because I realize I really didn't need it. Although I'll be dumping this 2016 MBP as soon as they fix these stupid keyboards.

20. ignatius345 macrumors 68000

The way I look at it, whatever sleeker, newer machine comes out after I buy mine, I can count on that being available much cheaper by the time my current one has reached the end of its life.

Also, it can really be worth it to wait for the v2 of whatever new thing comes out. Bugs will be squashed, specs will be boosted, prices may even come down.

Whatever thinking you gotta do to keep Apple FOMO at bay...

21. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

I never experience that with Apple, they trickle out updates so slowly. Their updates are so minor and never really groundbreaking.

22. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

I always tell people "If you can buy it, is is obsolete."

23. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

I understand what you are saying, thats why I also consider price. I would never buy a $3,000 laptop to take on the road or knowing a newer model is just around the corner. I shop for my needs and try to balance price and intended use.

If I do buy a $1,000 phone I will plan on keeping it for several years (As long as Apple does not force it's obsolescence through software).

24. smirking macrumors 65816

smirking

SSDs were a game changer. When I replaced my 2012 MBP (that had been upgraded with a 2TB 850EVO SSD) with a fully loaded 2016 tbMBP, it wasn't all the shiny new specs that got me to jump on an upgrade. I wasn't entirely sold on the 2016 model and even with a 4 year difference, the speed difference in the sort of intensive tasks I need to run didn't feel like 4 years had passed. The only thing that got me to upgrade was that I really really really really wanted the 5K monitor support. I stare so many hours at a screen that I just needed to get the first laptop that had the ability to support a 5K monitor. Otherwise, I might still be using my 2012 MBP.

25. TC_GoldRush macrumors 6502

TC_GoldRush

A high end mac will last you a good 5-7 years, easily! A phone will last you no more than two years before the battery starts acting up, or it is slowed down. iPhone(s) are now over $1k!