A "Witch Hunt" yet Trump has been sending private messages of "appreciation" to Muller?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MadeTheSwitch, Aug 8, 2017.

1. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

So this is interesting..

On one had Trump constantly labels the Russian investigation as fake or a witch hunt, meanwhile behind the scenes apparently he has been praising and buttering up Muller and "appreciates what he is doing".

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...e-messages-special-counsel-mueller/547917001/

A public position and a completely different private position apparently. Either he is lying to Muller or lying to his base.

2. darksithpro macrumors regular

Not to deflect, but that was a Hillary policy that came out during the 2016 election. A public policy when it came to voters and a private policy, during her paid speeches.o_O

3. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Precisely why I used that term. To show the anti-Hillary, pro-Trump types that Trump suffers from the same problem and isn't the straightforward shoot-from-the-hip kind of guy they think he is.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Yes, exactly! Just like telling public Mexico will pay for the wall, but privately telling the Mexican President he knows tha won't happen.

Also, in this case it's his lawyers saying Trump appreciates Meuller. Not quite the same thing as Trump himself saying contradictory things, though that has happened, too.

5. darksithpro macrumors regular

Alright, you guys get a pass on this one. It does show hypocrisy if it's true.

6. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Did he send over a basket of muffins? You can't make new friends without a basket of muffins.

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

He better be very careful . That can construed as trying to bribe him.

8. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

LOL depends on what's in the muffins.

9. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I'm picturing a situation like that commerical where the nosy neighbors true motivations are stated out loud when she knocks on the new neighbor's door "welcoming" them.

"I'm just bringing over muffins trying to butter you up and make friends with you so that you will go easy on me in your investigation ". :D

10. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Seems like a dicey game the lawyer is playing. Is it to offset what Trump tweets meantime that is critical of Mueller or anything of the investigation?

Maybe to be able to go on record later with documentation of whatever gets said privately to Mueller and then say "So it's clear he was just Trump being Trump when he tweeted those things, it didn't mean he meant it." Good luck with that.

We need that meme again that @MadeTheSwitch had put up with "Curiouser and Curiouser". :D

11. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Okay. :D

IMG_4226.JPG

12. Zenithal Suspended

I know this is a joke, but I'm actually fond of those baskets. Particularly banana almond and cinnamon.

13. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I like blueberry. And corn.

14. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Thanks a lot. :rolleyes: They roll the sidewalks up here at 7pm in the nearest village and believe me no one delivers from town out here to the boondocks.

[rummages around for apron, eyes the bananas that were supposed to be for the Cheerios tomorrow and Thursday...]

Little pause....

On topic. while waiting for the muffins to bake, and regarding this quote from the OP linked piece,

One Republican senator, Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, said late last month any move against Mueller could be "the beginning of the end of the Trump presidency."
    I swear if I see that one more time in print I'm going to write Graham and say the beginning of the end of that presidency was when Trump came down the escalator and threw his hat in the ring for the 2016 nomination.

15. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

He probably also sent him a mixtape.

Comey Chameleon
    Russian all over the world
    I would do anything for Wall
    I grabbed it my way
    I win again
    I want to hold your tiny hand
    I'm so vain
    Aren't I Ironic?

Yeah I have too much time on my hands.

16. Zenithal Suspended

Heathen.

I do my best to fatten up my forum buddies.

17. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Wrong way, Corrigan. I'm supposed to lose six pounds by mid-Sept.

18. Zenithal Suspended

Social event?

19. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Heck no, at those I mean to put on a pound... lose it for the wellness check and to dodge the doc saying something impolitic like "still going the wrong way on this effort are we?"

20. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

2 words.

Charm Offensive

21. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

This is the Strategy of a simpleton - Bully and Flatter. Unfortunately, most other people aren't idiots...

22. samcraig macrumors P6

Waiting for Trump to say what he HOPES Mueller will or won't do
    ETA: And this is his "go easy on me" / "when you speak of me, please speak of me fondly"

23. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Maybe. "I can haz cooperation certificate, so can haz pardon later?"

or laying the groundwork to say later that Mueller was weak, approachable, could have been influenced by anybody if was willing to be flattered by trump's lawyers. We have no clue what the actual correspondence between Dowd and Mueller's team said though, so as usual it's all less than transparent when it's hinted about by The Don.

Dowd: Let us know if you need anything my client can provide.

Mueller: Don't worry, you'll be the first to know.​

24. samcraig macrumors P6

Not even sure Trump said anything - this could all be Lawyer spin.

25. poloponies macrumors 68030

Trump's only consistent trait is hypocrisy.