A word of advice for people who want to jailbreak their ipod touch 2G

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by DollarsAndGirls, Mar 5, 2009.

1. DollarsAndGirls macrumors member

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THAT YOU JAILBREAK YOUR DEVICES IF YOU ARE NOT TECH SAVVY.

yes i do realize that there are tons of youtube videos out there showing how to do it, but most likely they will not respond to you if you mess up (yes there are some nice people who would but others frankly dont give 2 *****s)

so if you do not want trouble, DO NOT JAILBREAK IT.

a little story if you have some time --->

i tried to jailbreak my ipod touch 2G. i followed every step to the T but i still messed up somewhere. My ipod was unresponsive and i started to panic because i thought it was game over. I spent 2 days trying to figure out what i should do. i was going crazy over a little $300 gadget. i tried and tried to restore my ipt back to normal multiple times and got no result. Finally, (i must have done something very nice to someone at some point in my life) something happend and my ipt got back to normal. Understand that this will NOT happen to everyone so JAILBREAK AT YOUR OWN RISK its not worth it

thank you for your time
    enjoy what Apple gave you

2. leonstafford macrumors regular

The only way to get tech-savvy is to try and break as much stuff as possible and put it back together. I just c ove red my keyboard in ur1ne and it ssttilll wororororororks fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine

3. jw2002 macrumors 6502

Agree. If it ain't broke, keep fiddling with it until it is broke, and then fix it. That is central to becoming tech savvy.

4. specialbuddy macrumors member

Thank you Jesus!!! Allah is great!!! Oh lordy it's a miracle.

Everyone should try to jailbreak their iPod at least once or twice. All of the same stuff you talked about happened to me too and I did pull out hair and stay up to late hours in the night. It was fun before the app store came out because you were getting to play with fun apps. Now it's just a pain in the ass and not worth your time.

5. pwn247 macrumors 6502

pwn247

I jailbroke mine just fine. :)

But it was hell-and-high-water to get it there, certainly not just a click-n-go procedure.

If you're looking into jailbreaking, follow good tutorials (tysiphonehelp on YouTube is fantastic). Also, don't even try it if you're on a Windows PC. Redsn0w was created with instructions only for the Mac, so you're taking a leap of faith over failure rates doing it on a PC.

It wasn't until I synced my jailbroken 2nd generation iPod touch with iTunes that I realized how unstable the procedure is. My iPod would boot (after loading the .img3 file), but it would be stuck at the Apple logo. So I'm actually in the process of restoring and then giving it another go. I have lots of friends at school who got a 2nd generation touch for Christmas and are eager to see a jailbreak working on it.

Bottom line is... Mac users: Give it a go and have fun! PC users: I pity the fool.

6. blackbelt534 macrumors regular

What are you talking about? There is more GUI's for redsnow on windows then there is on a mac, and I jailbroke a week after redsnow was released and I have yet to have a problem, and I'm on windows

7. pwn247 macrumors 6502

pwn247

While GUI-based jailbreak methods exist for the 2nd generation iPod touch, most of them don't work all too well.

My friend is a PC guy, and he's had trouble jailbreaking his 2nd generation iPod touch. In fact, he gave it to me yesterday to take it home and jailbreak on my Mac (with no problems, of course :) ).

It's not about the quantity of apps, it's about the quality of apps. ;) A GUI-based 2nd generation jailbreak tool for Macs will surface soon.

8. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

yeah.. i had a few problems that i almost had a heart attack about. namely my iPhone wouldn't reboot after a jailbreak.

i guess i should have tried something other then torrenting for files and pre-made custom bundles.

most of my 2 or 3 tries were based around the wrong firmware - for the wrong device with the wrong pwning program - ALL on OS X 10.5.6.. :)

haha - any way. once i could not have to downgrade to 1.x - things went smoother.

infact i updated from 2.2 to 2.2.1 and then did the jailbreak straight into it and haven't had a problem since

today i am going on a 12 Hour car ride and when i'm not driving, I will be playing Pokemon Blue on my iPhone... if i get bored i'll just use iPhone Modem and surf the web on my MacBook - or maybe.. i'll just take a couple of videos with Cycorder.

Frankly, i don't see a reason to NOT jailbreak.

Just make sure you know what you are doing before (as opposed to AFTER) jailbreaking as there is a LOT of outdated content reguarding the matter everywhere on the internet.

9. Joetang macrumors member

why bother with a GUI jailbreak? i did mine the old fashion way and it worked fine. I have to admit i had to do it twice cause i skipped a step the first time but you gotta admit, when you do it the old fashion way and you finally get it right, it feels wonderful.. =D

btw, i'm on a pc too :)

10. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

so in essence - you're still lame :)

jk haha

11. Joetang macrumors member

lol pc by force, Mac at heart :apple: =)

12. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Well, of course you shouldn't enter uncharted territory if you don't know how to help yourself or if you are not willing to take the risk of breaking your stuff.

Unfortunately, for a lot of us, the computers and gadgets with training wheels that Apple gives us are not enough and we want to unleash the potential of our equipment -- and not be forced to live with the arbitrary, artificial restrictions that Apple imposes on us. I don't know about you, but I'm an adult person and I do not need Uncle Steve or anybody else at Apple to babysit me and make decisions for me.

But I wonder what your motivation to jailbreak your iPod was in the first place. You're now giving us the advice to "enjoy what Apple gave us", so you obviously never needed a liberated device.

Only for the record: I've "freed" an iPhone once, but I never cared to jailbreak my iPod Touch. When Apple announced the SDK, I was hoping for them to truly open the platform. But in best Apple tradition, they didn't. That was when I lost my interest in that platform completely, because FOR ME it is a waste of time to write code for a hacked platform. It's just not worth it - FOR ME. If you ask me, Apple ONCE AGAIN successfully killed their own platform by keeping it so closed down. Unless they open the platform, their success with OS X iPhone will be short lived and open platforms will conquer the market. On the long run, open platforms and standards always win.

13. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

Yes that is def true. With the first iphone I jail-broke it multiple times. but there was a reason. Now not really.

14. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

This was my first time jailbreaking, and it worked out great for me, followed the tutorial from iclarified.com and it was fairly easy even though I had no idea what I was doing.

15. pique212 macrumors newbie

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh JAILBREAK ALL DAY

Lets see Apple lies to everyone by saying their product is 8g, or 16g but in actuality its only 6.83 so I say to hell with them and Jailbreak alllll Day baby:D. Ohh by the way it is pretty simple I always re boot mine with the Cywood Gui. Also people panic when it becomes non responsive, all you have to do is put it back on DFU mode. Prior to doing all of this back up your IPOD.