A word of warning: Stay away from the Samsung SpinPoint 1 TB 12.5mm notebook drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chris Welch, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Chris Welch macrumors 6502

I received this drive from Newegg on Tuesday and promptly installed it. For the first couple of days, things were wonderful. Having all of that storage capacity was incredible.

But the honeymoon didn't last long.

Tonight after coming home from work, I noticed sluggish performance on my 2010 MBP Core i7. Restarted, and startup took forever. A good five minutes or so. I said, "uh oh" and repaired permissions, inserted the OS X installation disc and repaired the disc itself. Restarted. Now the startup sequence was going indefinitely. I was at the grey Apple screen with the loading circle just spinning and spinning.

Disc Utility said it found nothing wrong, but what else would cause a sudden colossal failure of my system?

So here I am after reinstalling my OEM 500 GB 5400rpm drive. Things are running smoothly again. Luckily, after just a few short days, I didn't lose a whole lot in terms of unsaved files.

But I can't urge people to stay away from this drive enough. There's a review on Newegg from someone who had a similar experience.

If you must have 1 TB in your MacBook, I'd probably go with the Western Digital 5200 rpm drive or the Toshiba one. Stick with companies that have a longer and more trustworthy reputation than Samsung (when it comes to hard disk drives, that is.)

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

So you got a bad drive. It happens. Swap it for a new one.

I've had the 1TB Spinpoint drive installed in my MacBook Pro for over two months and I love it. It's virtually silent and it's plenty fast. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

YMMV

3. Detrius macrumors 68000

If you want a reliable hard drive, you should generally stay away from bleeding-edge technologies anyway, and the largest hard drives available always count as bleeding-edge and are therefore unreliable when compared to something a little more mundane.