A year ago the big panic was about....

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vrDrew, Nov 18, 2015.

1. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Ebola.

Yes. Various state Governors were vowing to call out the National Guard. Various forum posters called for the mass detention of anyone who had travelled to affected areas, including the healthcare workers.

A good, solid panic.

A year later? Pretty much forgotten. Fox News et al have moved on to new issues to get their viewers quivering with fear and rage over.

Thats not to say that Ebola is not a serious health threat in West Africa. Or that we should in any way relent on medical research into vaccines and treatments. That NGOs and Government public health organizations, both here in the US and internationally, need to be vigilant in detecting and preventing the spread of the disease.

Medical professionals, public health official, and researchers probably have learned quite a lot from their experience in dealing with the 2014 Ebola outbreak.

The rest of us? Not so much.

2. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Also a year ago the West lead by the USA was lining up against Russia for annexing the Krim, and for supporting the rebels of east Ukraine. NATO was going to be strengthen, the west was going to stand by it's ally in the east. Sanctions were in place and every day there was talk about more and more pressure to be placed on Russia.
    Now a year later Russia is bombing ISIS and nobody but nobody even talks about Ukraine.

3. FieldingMellish Suspended

Fascinating, Mr. History Professor.

The same can be said about shark attacks. News goes ‘round and ‘round.

While we're on the time machine, how about we go back 25 years for a roll-call of dire global warming predictions that had since come to ring false?

http://dailycaller.com/2015/05/04/25-years-of-predicting-the-global-warming-tipping-point/

4. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

A year ago I was in a panic over the Philae lander. Still am, as a matter of fact.

5. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Who exactly are you scolding?

And do you wake nightly screaming, "FOX NEWS FOX NEWS FOX NEWS!!!"

6. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

VR, are you between the ages of 45-54? Is Fox News threatening you again?

7. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Are we really arguing that the USA is not one big short attention span theater? Which I think was his point

8. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Sorry what were you saying? :p

9. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

10. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

11. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

no, you need to read the relevant parts like
    Fox news is continuing to kill white Americans aged 45-54. somehow, some way, in his mind of course.

12. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

at least with Steve you don't have to worry about insults, vr on the other hand
    and

shrieks toxic cocktails of ignorance;fear & bigotry towards Fox news any chance he gets, he complains about topics started in good faith while again, pointing at Fox news. white males aged 45-54 dying? well the fault lies with Fox news and he is NOT tired of blaming Fox news every goddamn thing that ever goes wrong anywhere on earth he seemingly blames Fox news for it.

13. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Yeah, I find it funny that the left likes to paint old, white, mean, angry men as conservatives. Clearly they don't come to PRSI.

14. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I read that but moved on to the overarching theme. We seem to need something to get our panties in a bunch about and it needs to change regularly because panties that stay bunched to long get icky. We don't actually want to really DO anything but we need a hashtag and someone to blame.

15. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

#firstworldproblems #isglennstillalive #badlandsissuckingsofar

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Let's not forget his whining about the Confederate flag avatars. And it isn't just Fox News that is to blame for everything it is Republicans and Conservatives as well.

17. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Repeat after me: foxnoosbad foxnoosbad foxnoosbad.

add a little bit of drool

18. vrDrew, Nov 18, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2015

vrDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm not afraid to walk into a school building without a gun stuffed in my pants. And four weeks from now, I'll be dining at some nice Paris restaurant without trembling in my Doc Martens that scary Mooslims are coming to get me.

Fox News is a font of misinformation and propaganda. I'm not the only one who has come to that conclusion. But the reality is that Fox News is more of a threat to the health and prosperity of the benighted chumps who watch it. Psst? Wanna buy some gold? (And, save yourself some trouble. Don't bother looking up whats happened to gold prices since the glory days when Glen Beck was hawking it on his Fox News comedy hour.)

19. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

And this has what to do with Ebola a year ago?

I ask because it's not that others have taken this thread off topic, but it's as if the topic of this thread takes the thread off its own topic.

20. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

yeah, your own article pointed to drugs & alcohol as factors but hey. Fox news all the way. you are afraid of fox news and all you need to do is change the channel.

21. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Not sure I agree. I need more convincing from vrDrew that he doesn't like Fox News.

22. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I agree with 100% re: Fox News which is why I rarely watch it.

23. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

That'd be better than their viewers who talk in their sleep: "Oh, Fox News! Ohh! Give it to Obama! Give it to him, baby! Give it to him hard!!! Ohhh, you're sooooooo good!"

24. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

I choose to read that in my head in the voice of Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs.

25. vrDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

Imagine that, if his platoon got caught in an ambush, an infantry lieutenant took a quick poll of his troops and announced that the best thing to do would be to run away or hide behind cover. Or if faced with a sudden drop in sales at his stores, the CEO of McDonalds surveyed fry cooks and drive-thru clerks and announced he was raising wages, and closing early on weekends.

Absurd as those examples are; thats exactly what too many politicians do these days. And it defies every known principal of leadership, a quality that seems sorely lacking in politics these days. Leadership isn't doing whats popular. Leadership is doing what is right: Doing the right thing for the team. Staying true to the values of the organization; and what is in the best long-term interests of whatever it is you are leading.

Democratically-elected leaders cannot ignore the will of the people. But they (hopefully) recognize that public opinion is a fickle thing. That the people being polled and surveyed don't always have all the facts; that they may be reacting emotionally, or on the basis of misleading or sensationalist media stories.

Leaders don't have to be omniscient. They don't have to know the answer to everything. They have a duty to consult with experts; with trusted advisers.

This isn't a purely partisan issue. This isn't something restricted to one party's selected officials. I remember at least one Democratic governor who wanted to illegally detain medical staff returning from West Africa.

Leadership is not always easy. It frequently requires the courage to make a decision you know may not immediately be popular - but also the confidence in knowing that by staying true to core principals and values; that ultimately the people you are leading will recognize the rightness of your decisions.