Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JMacIV

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2016
Atlanta
Hey all,

A couple days back I switched from a Verizon personal account to an AT&T business account. The A1865 X was purchased from Apple through IUP with Verizon.

Had the SIM mailed to me from AT&T, stuck it in the iPhone, restarted. Was immediately able to make and receive calls and receive texts. Was on WiFi for most of the day and then realized later that I had no 4G/LTE.

Called and updated the IMEI on file with AT&T and that fixed some of that problem. However, X is showing only 4G at top and not receiving LTE speeds. I have had AT&T LTE iPhones in past and they were significantly quicker down and up speeds.

Opened a ticket with Business support through AT&T, we tried pushing provisioning multiple times, reset Network Settings a few times, finally did a full reset of phone, however, no luck.

I had them check to make sure SIM was LTE compatible, which they say it is. They seem confident a new SIM would not help. They wanted me to try and change APN settings, which are not present on my phone. After quite a few calls, they basically told me to kick rocks and that not all devices are fully supported when purchased from someone other than AT&T.

I have also tried to push APN settings from Apple Configurator 2 app, but cannot seem to make that work.

Has anyone else had an experience like this? Was there any resolution??

Thanks,
JMac

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
I have the same iPhone model I got from Best Buy

Works fine on AT&T

I always go to an AT&T store and let them put new sim in and activate, never a problem that way

JMacIV

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2016
Atlanta

Works fine on AT&T

I always go to an AT&T store and let them put new sim in and activate, never a problem that way
Appreciate the response. That is my next step for sure.

Strangely enough, most of the AT&T Business Support reps I have talked to do not seem to think that will do it, however, it seems like a no brainer to me.

Reactions: rugmankc

Superrjamz54

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2015

Works fine on AT&T

Don’t see why it’s a problem. I have no problems using my AT&T iPhone X on Verizon, why it wouldn’t work the other way is kind of confusing. Especially since the Verizon version has all of the radios due to the Qualcomm chip.

JMacIV

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2016
Atlanta
Telling you that you basically need to buy the phone from them tells you, that the reps don’t know what they are talking about, in regards to your Verizon phone.
While I generally would agree with you, some of the folks were very knowledagable on iOS products. I think their resolution was just trying to exercise a way out since they had one.

Heading out to AT&T to grab a new SIM now.

JMacIV

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2016
Atlanta
Despite multiple AT&T support reps being asked about the SIM card and whether a new one would fix the problem or not and all but one saying no, a new SIM card did the trick. My iPX is now on LTE network successfully with LTE speeds and VoLTE working. Wahoo!

Turns out that the other line on the account that is experiencing this same issue has a SIM card that is only 16 digits higher than the non-working one from my iPhone. Wondering at this point if it is a bad batch of SIMs or if somehow they sent us ones not compatible with newer iPhones or something. Either way, I am sending the other person to the AT&T store right away!

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
Shouldn’t have no problems. Alot of people even on AT&T will still buy a Verizon model since it’s unlocked for any carrier.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Probably misconfigured SIM/account.
Also, it is ultra annoying that AT&T lock out the APN settings on iPhones.

JMacIV

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2016
Atlanta
Shouldn’t have no problems. Alot of people even on AT&T will still buy a Verizon model since it’s unlocked for any carrier.
That was my thought too. Shouldn't be an issue since the Verizon/Sprint version has GSM radios. Was just getting the run around from ol' AT&T.
Probably misconfigured SIM/account.
Also, it is ultra annoying that AT&T lock out the APN settings on iPhones.
That's right. Account was configured fine, but either had a bad SIM or a SIM for a different type of device. Both lines that were affected originally had SIM cards 16 digits apart. Like same number, but ending in 42 and 26. Clearly were made in the same batch. So either the batch was bad, or they were both intended for different types of devices. Either way, both phones are now on LTE due to new SIMs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.