A2DP Headset and Alpine Head Unit

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MJedi, Nov 1, 2011.

1. MJedi macrumors 6502a

MJedi

I just received a Motorola HX550 and like it so far. One of its features is A2DP, which means I can listen to any audio through it, not just phone calls. However, I just discovered a little problem when I use it with my Alpine head unit, which has the dock connection for my iPhone. Whenever I turn on the HX550, it takes over the audio output and I hear the audio through the headset, not through the Alpine. The only way to change this is to go into the Music app and choose the Dock Connector. This would be okay, except what if I was driving and turned on the HX550 to answer a call? After I hang up, I would have to change the audio setting back to Dock Connector, while driving.

Is this normal for headsets with A2DP, in that it takes over the audio even if the iPhone dock is being used, too?

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Yes, that's normal. Try undocking & re-docking the phone, that should switch it back to the radio.

3. MJedi thread starter macrumors 6502a

MJedi

That would probably be worse than switching the output WHILE DRIVING. :eek:

But thanks for the suggestion. :D

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

5. MJedi thread starter macrumors 6502a

MJedi

Ah, but I just remembered that if I did that while the iPhone was playing, the Alpine would give an Error.

I guess I have to wear my headset when I get in my car, and then select the Dock Connector as the output, before driving off.

6. MJedi thread starter macrumors 6502a

MJedi

Found a workaround. If the Bluetooth headset is turned on first, then I plug the iPhone to the Alpine head unit next, it will stay play through the Alpine. I guess the iPhone chooses the last audio output that connects to it. Still wish I could set the audio output or disable A2DP, but that's Apple for you.