A6 has an Arm Cortex-A15?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by voyagerd, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

No!
    I just don't want to get disappointed (A15 is the main reason to buy for me)

2. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

That would explain the speed increase quite nicely. Plus it should make the device 30% faster than Quad Core A9's (depending on CPU speed).

3. rovex macrumors 65816

We can only hope after what was a disastrous keynote as far as the iphone is concerned.

4. SR71 macrumors 68000

Please don't bring your opinions about the keynote to this thread, as there are other threads already made that are debating that very topic.

I wouldn't be surprised if the new A6 was A15 based. I've been saying it for the past few weeks: Apple has billions of dollars with nothing to spend it on, we know they've been working on A6 for well over a year. Pouring some of their billions into R&D on an A15 based chip is not something impossible for them. Money talks.

This would easily explain the 2x speed improvement since Apple kept the iPhone 5 dual-core, and it would also explain the better battery life that Apple is claiming over the 4S.

I've been saying this all along. :)

5. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

I really hope so...need to wait for release date to see it teared apart by ifixit.

6. rovex macrumors 65816

Then you shouldn't be surfing the boards in the first place if you don't want to hear what i or anyone else for that matter have to say as inevitably the discussion will spill over into other threads. :)

7. SR71 macrumors 68000

It's not that I don't want to see your opinion; I never said I didn't. What I did say was that your post was unrelated to this thread topic and that there are other threads that are similar to your post that are debating that very opinion. Why must that discussion spill over into this thread? There's just no need. Nothing against you personally, just your logic doesn't seem to make much sense to me. ;)

8. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

I am curious about the GPU. Is it series6? Or did they go with the reference design (Mali)

9. tann macrumors 68000

I read somewhere that the extra speed (especially app launching like they showed) could be from improved flash memory.

Does anyone think this is a possibility? I personally hope for A15 based A6's lol.

10. SR71 macrumors 68000

That is unknown at the moment. We'll have to wait for AnandTech to get one in hand so they can run all of their tests and analyze the results.

11. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

Yes. Many people already said apps couldnt be launched faster because the flash memory limit of speed. Apple could fix that by improving the flash memory.
    Including a a15 based processor, this is going to be one fast monster in everything.

----------

Yes. Many people already said apps couldnt be launched faster because the flash memory limit of speed. Apple could fix that by improving the flash memory.
    Including a a15 based processor, this is going to be one fast monster in everything......if these 2 both things both turn out to be true.....wich i doubt.

12. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Well, why not trust AnandTech?

He isn't just basing it on how it is faster but more than that.

But it wouldn't surprise me if this were a dual-core ARM Cortex-A15 coupled with either ImgTec SGX543MP4 at 200Mhz or SGX543MP2 at 400Mhz.

PowerVR Series 6 aka Rogue is still a bit soon and the graphic improvements would have been tenfold.

13. tann macrumors 68000

I hope it's A15 for sure. Flash memory improvements would also be very nice.

14. JesalTV Guest

That is damn impressive if true.

The hands-on videos certainly suggested the iPhone 5 flies, I thought they had sped up the video or something!

15. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

They claimed that the A6 is smaller than the A5. The A5X is bigger than the A5 due to the extra GPU cores by what 40mm2? The new A5 is 40% smaller... So maybe it could be the MP4... Do we know if the iPhone 5 (or even iOS 6) supports OGLES3?

16. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

we should ask fire monkeys they already worked with the iphone 5...

And maybe its not secret info anymore.

17. Silver Box macrumors member

Its really tough to get a definitive answer on this at the moment, a lot of people are questioning AnandTechs suggestion it's an A-15 based on the fact there's no (current) source for his hypothesis. A lot of sites are linking to AnandTechs blog as though it's news. Given the type of heated discussion that will create with our Samsung owning freinds, i'll leave it for you to imagine the flames over there right now. :D An A-15 would be absolutely spectacular, and possibly one of the most under-rated things in the phone yet. However the fact Apple didnt really push it front and center during the presentation makes me feel its more likely a quad A-9. Hope thats wrong.

18. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

Is the 2x improvement over the 4s? If so it'll be light years ahead of my 4!!!

19. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

you have to think though, the key notes are not very technical....so going in depth about something the average consumer would not understand would confuse people. Aside from a few camera stats that I know jack about.....things like 2X faster, 2X better GPU...those are the things that stick with the average consumer.

20. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

You know that's kinda BS.
    I should feel smoother and stuff but not really 2x, that's just tech bla bla just like the megapixel war.

If you have a 4 (not 4s) then I guess it will be probably close to 2x and it would be a good time to upgrade.

Plus ask yourself faster for what? Do you think all apps magically what, run faster, in which way?
    So yeah, that's my take on speed bump on processors.
    Maybe encoding times on mobile video editors will be a lot faster, but that's a non-user-interaction app where you just "wait", for other apps then there is no much to bump in terms of speed (yeah I know faster opening of menus and stuff but not like we humans evolve each year to move our fingers faster and our eyes to process at more "fps" and the like).

21. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

I figure with as much as I use my phone any little speed bump will be multiplied as I use it throughout the day!

22. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

How much better would the performance be over the S4 and the Exynos 4412?

23. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

Texas Instrument postet a video months ago: dualcore A15 (0.8 Ghz) vs quadcore A9 (likely Tegra 3 with 1.3 or 1.5Ghz)
    The A15 humiliated the A9. At some point it was twice as fast.
    So I would say, it'S possible the Apple A6 is up tp 50% faster than the Exynos 4 quad in the Galaxy Note (1.6Ghz)!!!!

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5571/...hz-dual-core-a15-vs-quad-core-a9-13-ghz-video

24. rovex macrumors 65816

I don't see anyone batting away my remark, clearly you're in the minority. :)