A6 rumor breakdown (hint: it might be Cortex A15)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thadoggfather, Sep 12, 2012.

1. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12...ne_5_appears_to_be_first_arm_cortex_a15_phone

Good read.

I'm just wondering, if it is as speculated (and 2x graphics and cpu of A5, I'm assuming that's the 800mhz A5 in the iPhone 4S being compared to...), this could be the most monumental, under-the-hood SoC leap.

All the more eager to get a pre-order in for my black at&t 32GB with a 2-year/grandfathered unlimited

Why wouldn't Apple have shown off its A6 horse power for a longer period of time? I feel it got minimal attention relative to having LTE and a 4" screen.

2. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

Thats because apple doesnt like talking about specs. Just basics. Keep things simple.

3. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

Still, I would think the 2x cpu power of A6 could be better showcased than just the mirrors on a porsche

4. Markiie macrumors 6502

Markiie

I can't help but feel they were rushing through everything. Almost feels like they got more important stuff to do. Why the rush Apple?

5. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

We will see in time what the a6 exactly is and what it has in store.
    In eu the prices go up 30 euros...makin them 880 euro, wich is about 1200 dollar. It better have the a15 architecture^^

6. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

Everyone whining about the design needs to pay attention to this. If it is indeed a dual core ARM A15, then the A6 is one hell of a chip. And it would be the first A15 to market. Which is pretty cool. This phone is going to be quick. I know a lot of people are disappointed with the iPhone 5 today, but I think eventually everyone will come around. They're going to sell tons of these things.

7. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

gs3

8. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

agreed. It felt very, very rushed. I understand the IOS part b.c we just had a keynote about it, but the phone presentation was fast and sloppy IMO.

9. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

Yeah and then I feel like the iPod post presentation took up more time than needed.

But back on track, I can't wait to take that A6 for a spin. Usually when Apple is quiet, they are hiding something or at least making you further research it.

"We have Thunderbolt and Lightning" ...omitted that Lightning is as of now, USB 2.0, not even USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt as you would assume from hearing that, I don't really sync to my computer anyways but still. And I would assume Lightning will later get quicker connectively as an upgrade.

"We have A6, 2x graphics 2x processing of A5" -- If this is graphically weaker than A5X, why did they spend all of their effort showcasing A6 with graphical renderings and a second of app opening benchmarks instead of showing you side by side the fluidity difference

I can't imagine why Apple would skip over how much of a beast A6 is if such is the case. It's the brain of the whole operation!

10. JesalTV Guest

Maybe they skipped over how amazing the A6 is because....

Who helped make it?

11. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Did you see how much content they covered? Nobody wants a 4 hour keynote

12. KPOM macrumors G5

They tried to cram a lot into a 2 hour presentation (iPhone, iOS 6, iPod, iTunes). I think they could have cut out some of the iOS 6 intro since we knew about it already. Since the new iTunes isn't out until October, they may have been able to shorten its introduction, as well.

----------

Apple designed it though. Samsung manufactured it. Interestingly, Apple got an A15 to market quicker than Samsung itself.

13. tann macrumors 68000

If it has the same gpu as the ipad 3 then it is basically a vita, right?

14. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

I would imagine A5X is still superior in GPU to A6, powering a 2048x1536 display vs 1136x640, considering underclocked A4 with pretty much same graphics as 3GS could power 960x640.

Chart taken from anandtech:
    [​IMG]

15. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

not if it will have the a15 architecture. then its better then a vita.

16. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Disagree. 4 -> 4S was.

single core CortexA8 -> dual core CortexA9.

Micro architecture enhancement + doubled the physical core count + introduced multithreading.

There's nothing they can do now that tops the raw benefit of introducing multithreading.

17. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather