A7 processor

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WhiteIphone5, Sep 10, 2013.

1. WhiteIphone5 macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

Is it quad-core or dual? Just wondering, haven't gotten the chance to watch the event.

2. viperGTS macrumors 65816

It was not specified. Even the tech specs page on the Apple website says A7 chip with 64-bit.

3. mjcxp macrumors regular

Has anyone seen any sunspider benchmarks yet?

4. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

What I think they're assuming...
    The iPhone 5 runs default iOS 6, while the iPhone 5S runs default iOS 7. They claim that it runs twice as fast, without taking this into account. I'm willing to bet that when the iPhone 5 gets iOS 7 on it, the difference in performance will be minimal.

5. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

I'll put my money on dual core. If it was quad, it would've been mentioned.

6. mjcxp macrumors regular

7. WhiteIphone5 thread starter macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

Yeah I don't think there will be a huge difference.

Note how it compares speed against the original iPhone. Why not the 5?

There's probably little difference so they didn't wanted to put it up there.

8. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

This. I am curious at the inside however...clock speed and gpu.

9. matt2053 macrumors 6502a

They did compare it to the 5. They said it's twice as fast.

10. akuma13 macrumors 6502a

akuma13

I think people are really sleeping on this A7 processor. Its suppose to be 2x faster than the A6. We won't see any benefit from it this year but down the road I think it will be a godsend. There is no way the 5s hardware (other than the lcd screen and camera) will be obsolete when ios 9 comes out 2 years from now.

11. WhiteIphone5 thread starter macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

yeah but we can say it will lag with iOS 10
    I'm quite disappointed with this iPhone :(

----------

That's what they say to every new model.
    I'll believe it when i hold one

12. ThisIsNotMe macrumors 68000

Huh???
    [​IMG]

13. user-name-here macrumors 65816

First world problems for sure. You should be happy you even have an opportunity to get an iPhone 5S. There is nothing to be disappointed about beyond your own outlandish fantasies not being fulfilled.

I want to win the lottery, that doesn't mean I will be disappointed if I don't :rolleyes:

14. WhiteIphone5 thread starter macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

dont compare the chances of winning the lottery to hopes of getting a much better phone.

"i should be happy to even have an opportunity to get a 5S" what?
    no thanks, there are much better phones.

"outlandish fantasies"? ohh yeah, such a fantasy. I guess my fantasy came true with the Note 3 :)

I didn't know i was a crime to dream of a better phone than a 2X faster iPhone with "gold" color and finger print sensor.. wow

be happy to have the opportunity to buy a 5S lol get out of here, never did i say i was buying one. only wondering the processor. But thanks for your input.
    have a good night!

----------

i would like a little more details than 2X faster

:/

15. eoblaed macrumors 65816

eoblaed

If you look at the charts, it's clearly significantly more performant as compared to the 5.

They also stated, several times, that it's roughly twice the speed of the A6.

16. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

What more do you want?:confused:
    If you want benchmark scores and so on, you'll have to wait until late next week.

17. WhiteIphone5 thread starter macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

clock speed, dual or quad, a little more stats. but Yep ill wait until its out and people run benchmarks :)

18. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

down the road? lmao, iPhone 6 will be out with A8, then iphone 7 with a9 and so on.

19. Zerilos macrumors 6502a

Usually when the make that claim they're talking about the benchmarks, and to my knowledge they've always been correct.

----------

His point was that if you buy the 5s, it will still be relevant in terms of processor and graphic speed several years from now. He wasn't suggesting that new phone won't be released in the future.

----------

They did compare it to the 5 and they said it was twice as fast, they even showed a graph showing how much faster it was verses the 5. Maybe you should have actually watched before making comments that make it clear you don't know what you're talking about. Granted, no independent benchmarks have been run, but your comment was absolutely incorrect.

20. bryanc28 macrumors 6502

bryanc28

So this version is going to last longer than iphone 5?

21. Zerilos macrumors 6502a

Don't know. We do know that as of today it has the most powerful SoC on the market.

22. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Then you'll know if it's actually 1.9 or 2.1 times faster than the 5.

23. viskon macrumors 6502

Anybody know what the 64 bit architecture thing is? My limited knowledge of this is that the 64 bits is the size of the address bus. That is, this the processor can address more memory locations, thereby, can be fitted with more RAM memory. But on a mobile device where users have no control over the amount of RAM memory in device, it does not make sense. On the other hand, if Apple had fitted the new iPhone with 4gb of RAM, the 64 bit architecture would have made sense.