Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
There was some talk on these rumor boards about apple actually buying tivo. Who knows how much truth there is in that, but its nice that iTunes AAC support is out for like a month and already tivo supports the format. Seems like there is definetly some collaboration between them if not something more.

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
Can anyone tell me the easiest way to connect my Tivo Series 2 to my home network? I don't have cat 5 throughout my house, and am running an Airport network. Is there a wireless 802.11 to USB converter that I can buy?

Anyone doing the Home Media option with their Tivo yet?

Cabrewolf

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2003
Originally posted by mactastic
There was some talk on these rumor boards about apple actually buying tivo. Who knows how much truth there is in that, but its nice that iTunes AAC support is out for like a month and already tivo supports the format. Seems like there is definetly some collaboration between them if not something more.

I think the big thing is that if anyone has looked at the financial statements and analysis of Tivo, it is obviouse that if they do not pull something from there @ss or are bought they will die.

Wolf

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
I wouldn't mind seeing Tivo's technology wrapped up in a mac frame, like the "apple set top box" that was rumored a few years ago (I'll try and find the link). Now, if it accepted the HD recording option, but also included DVD playback/recording features as well as VHS qualities, that would be a living room monster machine. Imagine being able to record your VHS tapes directly to DVD, as well as record all the episodes of your favorite shows and record the entire season to a DVD (or 2), so you could keep it forever.

To me the biggest stopper is being able to transfer VHS to DVD without jumping thru a hoop.

<edit> here's the link: set top box

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Originally posted by Timothy
Can anyone tell me the easiest way to connect my Tivo Series 2 to my home network? I don't have cat 5 throughout my house, and am running an Airport network. Is there a wireless 802.11 to USB converter that I can buy?

So as not to hijak this thread with an off-topic discussion, there's plenty of easy to access info at tivo.com. More specifically: http://www.tivo.com/4.9.8.asp

Also, try http://www.tivocommunity.com if you have other tivo specific questions.

Hope this helps.

pcp_ip

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2002

HMO rocks (pun intended). The tiny Linksys Instant Wireless USB Network Adapter - Version 2.6 is what you need- however it HAS to be version 2.6. My 2 tivos are linked with these to my airport network.

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
With regards to Apple buying Tivo etc...

Why? To what end? I think these rumors probably started around faint rumors of talks ongoing between Tivo and Phillips. If the end result is that Tivo and Phillips are using Rendevous technology to leverage Apple computer technology, and to provide added services to Apple customers, then what reason would there be for Apple to enter a market that is not central to their mission?

It seems to me that any involvement Apple has had with Tivo probably culminates in making Rendevous work as seemlessly as possible with these services. That provides the benefits I want and shields Apple from risky business ventures. A win-win if you ask me.

Frobozz

macrumors demi-god
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ
YES!

YES! YES! YES!

I need this. I have purchased about 30 songs from iTMS that I can't see on my TiVo. Just what the doctor ordered.

phgreer

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2002
Greenville, SC
If apple could use Tivo as a gaming platform as well that would be a real kicker. Also it would increse product awareness by brinking Apple into the living room.

Also if you could use your TV as an external monitor as well via Tivo that would be neat.

It would be great for parties as well. If Tivo is hooked through a home entertainment system you could play your iTunes, iMovies and iPhoto stuff via the stereo and TV...

Yeah..

I'll buy one.

bbarnhart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2002
With regards to Apple buying Tivo etc...

Why? To what end? .... what reason would there be for Apple to enter a market that is not central to their mission?

Apple sells a MP3/AAC player and that is not central to their business... or is it? Computers are becoming more integrated with other devices (MP3/AAC, TV, DVD, photographs). It's like computers a 'digital hub.'

Maybe your point was "why should Apple do the TiVo thing when they are already doing it."

What I would like to know, is why is TiVo not profitable? Are they losing too much money on their boxes or are they not running a very tight ship. If you call the box sale a wash then they must need to trim employees and development costs.

pcp_ip

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2002
i love my tivos, but they're doomed.

tivo's problem is thus:

they can't clearly get the point across of what tivo is to jimmy six-pack and suzie house wife. Geeks buy it, but they have never had extensive penetration into the general public.

while they struggle to educate the masses on what a DVR is, the cable companies are rapidly building DVR capabilities into their cableboxes (abet, inferior).

before tivo gets a chance to win mass appeal, they'll get squeezed out by the cable companies that already have a box connected to your tv.

time warner nyc already has basic DVR features (HBO on demand type features) built into their digital cable boxes.

why would someone new to the concept of digital video recorders want 2 of them on the same TV? or two set top boxes on the same table?

My $0.02 on why Tivo is going to have a tough go of it.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by pcp_ip
while they struggle to educate the masses on what a DVR is, the cable companies are rapidly building DVR capabilities into their cableboxes (abet, inferior).

before tivo gets a chance to win mass appeal, they'll get squeezed out by the cable companies that already have a box connected to your tv.

Actually TimeWarner is now offering a full DVR option for $6/month for those with digital cable.... but I assumed that Tivo/Replay or whoever was licensing their design/software to TimeWarner.

if so, it's a win-win.

arn

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
Re: What about QT/Video/MGEG4???

Originally posted by MacVault
Will Tivo ever be able to play on my TV the moveis that are stored on my computer???

I hope so, I want to store things to my computer. I've never had a VHS machine (I have Betamax and Laserdisk :confused: ) but all I use is DVD now. I don't usually need to record, but when I do...

P-Worm

magazineaddict

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2002
Got an invite to hear this guy speak recently...

Perhaps this has something to do with the cozy relationship between Tivo and Apple of late. The following is the Bio of a Tivo exec that will be speaking at a meeting of Marketing professionals in my area in a few weeks....

Brodie Keast
Senior VP & General Manager TiVo Service

Brodie is responsible for growing the TiVo Service business. This includes driving continued subscriber growth, advancing the capabilities of the TiVo service, delivering 95%+ customer satisfaction levels, building the TiVo brand in the consumer market and leveraging partnerships to expand the market for the TiVo service . He is also responsible for building an advertising and sponsorship business on the TiVo platform. Brodie leads the company's overall marketing, sales, corporate communication, advertising production and service development functions.

Brodie joined TiVo in 1999. He brings more than 22 years of marketing, engineering and general management experience to TiVo. Before joining TiVo, Brodie was Vice President and General Manager of the DLTtapeTM Division of Quantum Corporation, where he helped to grow that business' revenue by more than 90 percent to $1.2 billion in less than three years. Prior to that, he spent ten years at Apple Computer, Inc., where he headed worldwide product marketing. Brodie started his career at Hewlett-Packard in a variety of engineering, engineering management and marketing roles.

I don't know much about his history other than this bio, but it might be the link between Tivo and Apple that is making things happen.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Good to see that Apple is letting third parties in on their DRM. Even less restrictive and more useful.

Steamboatwillie

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2003
Memphis, TN
Originally posted by arn
Actually TimeWarner is now offering a full DVR option for $6/month for those with digital cable.... but I assumed that Tivo/Replay or whoever was licensing their design/software to TimeWarner.

if so, it's a win-win.

arn

I have one from Time Warner (Memphis, TN) and it works pretty good. I have never used a TiVo so I can't compare. But at $6.00 a month a TiVo would have to be spectacular to make me "switch" The iTunes/iPhoto integration is neat but no where near a deal maker/breaker imho.

Lokii

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2003
Long Island
A couple of questions for the tivo & mac savvy crowd:

1. Is there anyway to download tivo's recordings onto a mac?

2. Is the directv tivo required if you have directv or just "enhanced"

I'd like to have a stand alone box to record but would like to playback on my iBook.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.