AAPL NEAR all time HIGH!


jadam

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2002
699
1
It makes me cry :(

I remember 2.5 years ago when AAPL was aroundd $14-16 per share and I was telling my parents to invest in AAPL.... sadly they didn't listen :(
 

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2003
1,354
0
Snellville, GA
i wonder... does any apple user that's been around a bit longer than me know what that big drop at the end of 2000 was over???
i too wish my dad had listened to me... he bought intel stock for about 70 a share... it's in the 20's or 30's now :eek: great investing, pop...

reality
 

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
16,570
0
realityisterror said:
i wonder... does any apple user that's been around a bit longer than me know what that big drop at the end of 2000 was over???
i too wish my dad had listened to me... he bought intel stock for about 70 a share... it's in the 20's or 30's now :eek: great investing, pop...

reality
That is why I'm very happy that I never invested. It has always looked like gambling to me. Only those well educated in the company should invest. Don't really like to trust the experts either, they are in it for themselves.
 

PismoGuy

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
48
0
Skokie/Chicago, Illinois
jadam said:
It makes me cry :(

I remember 2.5 years ago when AAPL was aroundd $14-16 per share and I was telling my parents to invest in AAPL.... sadly they didn't listen :(
Huh, just today my father told me that he is handing the stock purchasing authority to me and said that he should have listened to me around that same time. :rolleyes: (its kind of to late pops :mad: )
 

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
2,273
77
The "Garden" state
wdlove said:
That is why I'm very happy that I never invested. It has always looked like gambling to me. Only those well educated in the company should invest. Don't really like to trust the experts either, they are in it for themselves.
speaking as the child of a financial advisor, i gleaned a few bits of advice from my dad through the years. the biggest one, though, is that he hardly ever advises his clients to invest in tech stocks-they are wildly unpredictable and still have not stabilized since the dot.com boom, at least not for long term-investing. for that more traditional companies are still the best bet.
and it makes sense. with the exception of an enron-type scandal, a company that deals in utilities or manufacturing won't typically see gigantic leaps forwards and backwards like techs will, because those industries are not innovating/changing as fast as technology companies do.
 

kiwi-in-uk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2004
735
0
AU
question fear said:
speaking as the child of a financial advisor, i gleaned a few bits of advice from my dad through the years. the biggest one, though, is that he hardly ever advises his clients to invest in tech stocks-they are wildly unpredictable and still have not stabilized since the dot.com boom, at least not for long term-investing. for that more traditional companies are still the best bet.
and it makes sense. with the exception of an enron-type scandal, a company that deals in utilities or manufacturing won't typically see gigantic leaps forwards and backwards like techs will, because those industries are not innovating/changing as fast as technology companies do.
I must agree - make yourself aware of the nature of the company that you are considering for a share investment; ask questions like: What are the dividends? What are the expected dividends, going out five to ten years? Is it in a volatile industry? Is its cashflow predictable in the long term (5-10 years)? Is its balance sheet strong enough to weather a long recession? How good is its management? etc etc etc. There are plenty of web sites that can help make you aware of what you need to consider. .... good luck!

On a lighter note, it is very pleasing to see recognition - from investors - of market led innovation by Apple. One could be cynical and say that there isn't much else going on (so Apple attracts the funds by default) but I suspect there is a longer term "awareness" and "credibility" thing going on. [any Wall St or City comments???]
 

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
21,542
7,801
CT
I think this is mainly because of xmas and sales of the ipod that is driving the stock price, it should slow down after the holiday season.
 

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
2,062
0
This is a Log chart. We're not as close as you think. Swith the scale to linear and you'll get a more representative chart. But I do think that we'll beat the old record within the next few months.

The last high was spurred by the introduction of the iMac. The big low is the period I call the "Motorola dark ages". A time plagged by meak 33 MHZ speed bumps. (Hence all those speaches about the MHZ myth). Stocks went up again with the switch to IBM. At that time, the iPod was not as influential on the market as it is today.

Edit:

Linear version of this graph: Link

Comparative (Apple VS Sony): Link

Comparative (Apple VS Microsoft - 2YR - The iPod Years): Link
 

roadapple

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2004
219
0
I bought 100 shares at $14 shortly after buying my first mac in 2002. I was stunned by OSX and the pure beauty of the Ti pbook, still hard to believe most everyday home users don't us apple. Sold it at $28 a few months ago and been kicking myself for that one. I have a 2nd gen 10gb ipod, but $60 on sales of this novelty? If apple would market their computers like the ipod, I'd get back in at $70 and sell at $125!
 

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
3,063
76
Alabama
jadam said:
I remember 2.5 years ago when AAPL was aroundd $14-16 per share and I was telling my parents to invest in AAPL.... sadly they didn't listen :(
I did, and bought at 8 or 9, then sold at 44. Even though my daughter has four years of college tuition thanks to Apple, I could have gotten all her books, clothes, a Mac, and a REAL nice car with a built-in iPod to get her back and forth if it actually reaches the some-predicted 102. I can't say that buying now would be very wise. The world is too volitile now. You're better off, in my opinion, if you join the mad (legitamate) rush to dump dollars and buy Euros.
 

snkTab

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2004
579
0
Cincinnati, OH
Just put in a limit order for my shares to sell on monday. I bought it at $32 almost exactly 3 months ago and today's close was $64.55. Double in 3 months, not bad I think ;). I'm thinking, it could go higher (I'm hoping for a small surge on monday when it sells), but there's so much chance it could go lower.

I had a rule "don't buy apple stock no matter how much I like apple". But macrumors and the like are really a great resource of information to determine how the stocks going to do.

Anyway, what now. Anybody got hints of companies to research for me to put my free money in. A part of me is thinking to buy in a little stock called a New Power Mac. I don't know if I have the willpower to resist that part of me.
 

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
2,967
1
Seattle
This can only mean good things for apple. Maybe people will start announcing support , rather than the lack of support, for the mac platform. Can anybody imagine what is gonna happen when tiger come forth?
 

mcadam

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2004
593
0
københavn
jared_kipe said:
Can anybody imagine what is gonna happen when tiger come forth?
...with all the talk about tiger for the past looong time I'm beginning to fear that we can only get dissapointed :cool:

A
 

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
1,672
0
Ottawa, ON
jared_kipe said:
This can only mean good things for apple. Maybe people will start announcing support , rather than the lack of support, for the mac platform. Can anybody imagine what is gonna happen when tiger come forth?
I'm hoping so, but I doubt companies will start supporting the mac because of a stock price increase based on a product that doesn't even need macs (ipod). We're going to see more 3rd party support as the mac's marketshare increases. Apple will be able to raise money more easily by issuing fewer shares at these higher prices--not that they actually need any more cash at this point.
 

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
1,672
0
Ottawa, ON
There's a lot more regret from where that came from in the investing world since hindsight is always 20/20.

$10k in Dell 10 years ago would be about $521,000 or more than half a million dollars today. How's that for regret?
 

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
1,027
0
London, UK.
Well, Apple is trading at $68 now. This is crazy. I reckon the stock price is gonna go through the roof when Apple have their earnings announcement after the christmas season.

Go Apple!
 

FightTheFuture

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
1,081
995
that town east of ann arbor
jadam said:
I remember 2.5 years ago when AAPL was aroundd $14-16 per share
i'm crying too.. i remember 2.5 years ago when KMRT was at $8! now its $102!

really though - AAPL at a day range of 67.41-69.57? is everyone expecting the ipod to be the christmas gift of the year again? i had thought the nintendoDS would cover that.
 

macidiot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2002
815
0
FightTheFuture said:
i'm crying too.. i remember 2.5 years ago when KMRT was at $8! now its $102!

really though - AAPL at a day range of 67.41-69.57? is everyone expecting the ipod to be the christmas gift of the year again? i had thought the nintendoDS would cover that.
The DS is a hot product this Christmas. But the supply is limited, somewhere around 1.5 million units.

As for Apple's stock...not to toot my own horn...but I called 4-5 million iPods sold this quarter and a target of $80 back after the last earnings report. Nice to see the analysts agreeing w/me. Not sure if that is a good thing though, given that its coming from Wall St. analysts. heh, maybe I should sell now that Wall st. is bandwagoning.
 

ifjake

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
562
1
yeah not too long ago Kmart was filing for bankruptcy protection or whatever. didn't they just buy Sears?
 

FightTheFuture

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
1,081
995
that town east of ann arbor
its a little off topic, but i think whats happening is kmart has tons of real estate and is selling it to sears - and thats why the stock has climbed so high.

i'm really hoping that sales for the imac and other non-ipod products have risen as analysts have expected. if AAPL does go up to $100+, to me it'll become one of those trades that doesn't make much sense. kindof like google... i mean, can that company be making THAT much money? strange logic i know.

i do remember though; when apples stock rose to $30-$35 back during early spring. and everyone was laughing about it, saying that the reason was because there were rumors that SONY was going to buy out apple.